Camara phones have changed our lives

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2021, 07:45 AM

It has allowed me to see my kids and grandkids for this past year. Thank you, Steve Jobs.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Default News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
... that photographs and videos taken on cell phones are “fake news”.

We haven’t heard that term used multiple times each day for several months now. I had hoped that the term, which has been so damaging to all our news sources would be forgotten, permitting our many legitimate journalists and sources to rebuild their reputations. Our democracy cannot survive without Americans having sources of news that they can rely on to make decisions about who and how they will be represented.
Just wondering just what those sources would be. Please list just one or two because I can't find any that have any continuity, they all follow the views of the network executives. It's a bad sign when when a large portion of the population doesn't trust the Government or the Press.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Thought from your title, that Iphone had another rival!
Think you meant Android phone
Old 04-22-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Wonder if Steve Jobs had any idea that an accessible camera would change our lives, court cases, etc. How has it changed your life? It certainly changed the outcome of the most recent trial in Minnesota.
Mark Twain said something to the effect that we do not make any progress because as we move forward we lose what was.

We would all be lost without our cell phones and computers. What did we lose? Among other things privacy and good manners.

The good old days? Like it or not we cannot go back to what was. We must, like it or not live with the new reality.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
Just wondering just what those sources would be. Please list just one or two because I can't find any that have any continuity, they all follow the views of the network executives. It's a bad sign when when a large portion of the population doesn't trust the Government or the Press.
"When a large portion of the population doesn't trust the Government or the Press." I'm not sure if it has gotten worse or we just think it has.

The civil war. Trust of government? While it is spun, politically corrected in public indoctrination. Half the country was under a government led by Jefferson Davis and the other half led by Abe Lincoln. The press spun the side they supported.

I recently read a book about the Wright brothers complete with letters etc. The first powered flight was 1903. It was a world story. France and Italy were both leaders.
The Wright brothers did not use the current term,"fake news," but they did complain that newspaper reporters wrote things that they had no idea what they were saying. They complained that reporters fed on other reporters misinformation and they complained
about since it was a world competition about reporters and a nationalistic bias.

Much of what people scream about is nothing new. A lot of it has never and will never be resolved. In the end things will never be perfect. Reality, things are pretty good.
Our press feeds on confrontation. That too has always been so. My opinion, having studied journalism, ethics of the press have deteriorated dramatically.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Not specific to this case, but believing what you see depends on context and photo/editing software now available on phones as well. Sound bites have always been a concern and what you didn't hear could make a difference. We have now graduated to the video bite where what we don't see can make a difference. Then of course there is CGI stuff which makes what isn't real...real. And that's coming to a phone near you also. We see what the videographer shows us and, in my view, there is a Paul Harvey context story to almost every video.
Suspicious how part of video was was constantly in public view and the rest was court ordered from public view.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
PLUS body cams.

If that makes the police think twice about what they are doing, that is a good thing.

Video footage is as good as, if not better than, a witness. Not that a witness is a perfect form of evidence as it has been proven to be unreliable in many cases. (memory, interpretation, etc)
Reality-"the police think twice about what they are doing, that is a good thing."
We have all the time in the world sitting safely in front of our computer. It is far different making decisions in part of a second with Adrenalin pumping.

In am not a cop. I have worked in neighborhoods where most people say I don't go there.

I have seen cops in action. I have seen cops decide it is not worth the paperwork to catch this guy. He will be out before the ink drys and my superior will question why I bothered to catch this guy. The criminals also know this.

The opposite is a police state. Public caning a kid for stealing a political poster.
The question is what do we want. Where is the proper balance? That question has not to date ever been answered. Perhaps, there is no answer that we can all agree on.
Law, unless we accept an all powerful dictator, and even then is not and cannot be perfect.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Wonder if Steve Jobs had any idea that an accessible camera would change our lives, court cases, etc. How has it changed your life? It certainly changed the outcome of the most recent trial in Minnesota.
I think that Steve Jobs knew exactly the degree that a camera phone would change people's lives. He probably thought constantly about change and technical innovation. He wanted his devices to be people-friendly not just expert-friendly. Derrick Chauvin had his life changed by the camera phone. And that could possibly end up as a landmark pivot in human and race relations?
Old 04-22-2021, 09:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

It's an amazing tool. Definitely helps keep people accountable.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larchap49 View Post
I hate to break that bubble - but a large portion of the population DOES truly trust the government (today) and the majority of TRADITIONAL news sources - the sources that can be vetted - just one example would be the USA Today. There are several recently conceived internet news sources that are dark and full of anarchy. There is also one major TV and radio network that began in the 1990s that is dark and full of propaganda. Those last mentioned and fairly newly conceived media outlets are slowly walking America away from Democracy towards fascism using soft propaganda techniques.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I hate to break that bubble - but a large portion of the population DOES truly trust the government (today) and the majority of TRADITIONAL news sources - the sources that can be vetted - just one example would be the USA Today. There are several recently conceived internet news sources that are dark and full of anarchy. There is also one major TV and radio network that began in the 1990s that is dark and full of propaganda. Those last mentioned and fairly newly conceived media outlets are slowly walking America away from Democracy towards fascism using soft propaganda techniques.
You nailed it. ACCOUNTABILITY for ones actions and words WILL return.

"Soft propaganda" is going easy...it has become blatant. Honesty is lost....truth does not count.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
"When a large portion of the population doesn't trust the Government or the Press." I'm not sure if it has gotten worse or we just think it has.

The civil war. Trust of government? While it is spun, politically corrected in public indoctrination. Half the country was under a government led by Jefferson Davis and the other half led by Abe Lincoln. The press spun the side they supported.

I recently read a book about the Wright brothers complete with letters etc. The first powered flight was 1903. It was a world story. France and Italy were both leaders.
The Wright brothers did not use the current term,"fake news," but they did complain that newspaper reporters wrote things that they had no idea what they were saying. They complained that reporters fed on other reporters misinformation and they complained
about since it was a world competition about reporters and a nationalistic bias.

Much of what people scream about is nothing new. A lot of it has never and will never be resolved. In the end things will never be perfect. Reality, things are pretty good.
Our press feeds on confrontation. That too has always been so. My opinion, having studied journalism, ethics of the press have deteriorated dramatically.
It is what it is, and BTW, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Too bad the body cameras dont make the local morons think before they act
True! But, the fact that those "local morons" even exist makes me think that our society has FAILED both them and us. Many elements are FAR less than perfect - education comes to mind 1st - quality of life - wealth disparity - the "greed is good" mantra - the stopping of scientific research grants to Universities - the recent downplaying of science in general. I wonder if Switzerland or other countries have the same degree of problems with "local morons"? Maybe the US should study the countries that have better results? Maybe the US should be less jingoistic?

In the 1950s era that is often looked upon with awe and respect - the US had something that it has gradually lost. Back then the wealth gap in the US was DECREASING. Today it is increasing and we have the largest wealth gap in the free world. Google that - every rational citizen in the US should be constantly aware of that unfortunate US trend. A tread that could end in a disaster and the end of the American experiment. And we are responsible because it happened in OUR time.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:02 AM

If police have to think twice before reacting then there will be more dead police. Just my opinion.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
... that photographs and videos taken on cell phones are “fake news”.

We haven’t heard that term used multiple times each day for several months now. I had hoped that the term, which has been so damaging to all our news sources would be forgotten, permitting our many legitimate journalists and sources to rebuild their reputations. Our democracy cannot survive without Americans having sources of news that they can rely on to make decisions about who and how they will be represented.
Unfortunately, we have ALLOWED propaganda to creep into that equation. Our free society and also Australia's society has been taken advantage of.
Closed Thread

Tags
changed, lives, camara, life, outcome

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.