Can anyone tell me what this is???

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Default Can anyone tell me what this is???

I don't know if this is a child's tea set or not. It seems much too delicate to be a toy. There appears to be residue from tea leaves in the tea pot. It was in my mother-in-laws house when we cleaned it out several years ago. I don't know quite what to do with it. I tried to get a picture of the markings on the bottom--but could not get a clear picture. I'm assuming it is Japanese
writing. Any ideas? Hopefully I will be able to get the pictures on this post--
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	87   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	88   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	89  
Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 PM

SwampCreature--good idea, never thought of that. Little girls today to not know what a tea party is. I'll check ebay. Some how or other I don't think it was a child's set.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Does the bottom of the tea pot say Nippon? If not what does the marking read? You can do a goggle search or go on e-bay to find out more about what you have. You may even see another set like the one you have with some price information.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Sage

I had a dainty and delicate tea set when I was a little girl. I loved it!

p.s., "A very merry un-birthday, to you, to you..."
Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

It's a Japanese tea set. The red stamp is likely the Japanese company that made the set... Probably not worth a lot of money...just sentimental value. However, there's the potential that is from an era that is rare.

Hard to know for sure and I don't know where you could find out.

Ja matte....
Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
I don't know if this is a child's tea set or not. It seems much too delicate to be a toy. There appears to be residue from tea leaves in the tea pot. It was in my mother-in-laws house when we cleaned it out several years ago. I don't know quite what to do with it. I tried to get a picture of the markings on the bottom--but could not get a clear picture. I'm assuming it is Japanese
writing. Any ideas? Hopefully I will be able to get the pictures on this post--
That label looks familiar, Seen that label in this site, http://gotheborg.com/
Old 02-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

Ja matte....
Hasta luego....

Bill
Old 02-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Default Tea set

Tippyclubb, thanks for your response, no, it does nor say Nippon. It has Japanes style figures. I checked Ebay and found nothing even similar. Will keep on searching!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Bill-n-Brillo. Hasta leugo? What does that mean?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hi Atlantic,

Something you might try is to take your pictures and one of the pieces to the public library. Ask to see the reference librarian.

If it is a small library, they might not have books that could help with identification and learning more about your lovely tea set, but a reference librarian knows how to make contact with bigger libraries where sources needed could be found.

It might take the librarian a while to locate the proper source for the info if she has to go outside the local branch so you might need to make copies of the pictures available to be sent along with the request for help with finding the answers you would like to have. Of course, you would not leave the piece behind, but you would need a clear picture or drawing of the mark. Maybe a Xerox would work to get that part.

Reference librarians really do like to help people track down information so if you track down a reference librarian, she just might know exactly what to do to help you.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Part II

Hello again, Atlantic,

I am a bit discombobulated tonight because the post above was my very first TOTV post done on my brand new iPad. This iPad sure is a touchy little thing and I am having a heckuva time with its quirks. It would not let me add anymore to the above post and it also sneaks in word changes when I am not watching. I caught it trying to change library to leper when I must have made a typo. I have been pc for years and I do not get this thing, but it sure is portable. (just caught it changing portable to potable. Geez.) But I digress......now back to your tea set........

Might it be possible that the tea set was brought back home as a gift for your mother-in-law from her husband or a son who was stationed in Japan at some point. If that might be it, that could help you narrow down the time during which she could have received it.

Good luck.

Boomer (sent from my iPad which does not yet understand me.)
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

(Caveat -- I know next to nothing about antiques of any kind, let alone china, so all comments are semi-educated guesses.)

Considering the cups have handles and saucers, I'd guess this is a pretty modern set, comparatively speaking. I've never seen an antique Chinese or Japanese set with handles -- those were usually made for tourists after WW II. The color reminds me some Chinese tea sets I've seen, but the design looks more Japanese.

You might want to bring the teapot to the Asian-American Club and see if someone there can help you determine at least the country of manufacture and possibly even the manufacturer.

Good luck. It really is a pretty set.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

I brought back a similar porcelain tea set from London for my daughter in the early 1970s. She played with it for years and it remained intact, except she eventually lost the teapot lid. Sturdier than it looks.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hello again, Atlantic,

I am a bit discombobulated tonight because the post above was my very first TOTV post done on my brand new iPad. This iPad sure is a touchy little thing and I am having a heckuva time with its quirks. It would not let me add anymore to the above post and it also sneaks in word changes when I am not watching. I caught it trying to change library to leper when I must have made a typo. I have been pc for years and I do not get this thing, but it sure is portable. (just caught it changing portable to potable. Geez.) But I digress......now back to your tea set........

Might it be possible that the tea set was brought back home as a gift for your mother-in-law from her husband or a son who was stationed in Japan at some point. If that might be it, that could help you narrow down the time during which she could have received it.

Good luck.

Boomer (sent from my iPad which does not yet understand me.)

Congrats on the iPad. You'll love it, when get used to its little quirks.

Whatever happened to the Droid ???? You started the thread and I ended up buying one ....
Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
Bill-n-Brillo. Hasta leugo? What does that mean?
memason closed post #6 with "Ja matte", which I believe roughly translates from Japanese to "See ya later" in English. "Hasta luego" is Spanish for essentially the same thing!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.