Can I fuss once more ?

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2018, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I used to eat veggies right straight out of the dirt in the garden (ie radishes, carrots) while I was playing! YUM!! My dad used DDT on folage on our acreage and I ran barefoot much of the summer. Why fuss?? It's a 1st world problem.....
You go girl. You'll eat a peck of dirt before you die...heard that a few times.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I used to eat veggies right straight out of the dirt in the garden (ie radishes, carrots) while I was playing! YUM!! My dad used DDT on folage on our acreage and I ran barefoot much of the summer. Why fuss?? It's a 1st world problem.....
Yep! We had DDT strips hanging in the house killing flies and the old folk!!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
... You'll eat a peck of dirt before you die...heard that a few times.
My grandfather once complained about some sand in his food. He was told, "Everybody eats about a pound of sand in their lifetime."

He replied, "Yeah, but not all at once."
Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Most of us are in our dotage, and have made it this far eating a lot worse than todays pesticides, let alone other peoples hands touching the fruit.
I am with the 'just eat it brigade.'
Don't be picky, the things you worry about won't kill you. Wash it and eat it.
I like dewilson's solution - eat the sticker. It probably provides fibre.

Last edited by Barefoot; 09-10-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:27 AM

I share your pain, I've been having a devil of a time getting them off all my grapes.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheffner View Post
I share your pain, I've been having a devil of a time getting them off all my grapes.
My antennae are up. This one will be very witty or very wild.

You heard it here first.

Welcome to the forum Mr. Heffner.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

This is an overtly tacky thread. Sticker shock indeed.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoderChiropractic View Post
You might already know this; but for those who don't:

If the number on the sticker starts with a 9, it is organic; beginning with a 3 or 4 means it is probably conventionally grown and if it begins with an 8 it is gmo.

Barbara
Yoder Chiropractic
Again - this is misleading.

If it is a 5-digit code that starts with a 9, it is CERTIFIED Organic. A 4-digit code starting with 3 or 4 MIGHT be organic, but it's not certified. It's officially "conventionally grown." If it's a 5-digit label beginning with an 8 then it is CERTIFIED GMO.

What this actually means:
There are some places where the 8 in front is not required by law. In that case, you won't know if it's GMO unless they have reason to specify. Organic doesn't mean pesticide-free. It means free of UNAPPROVED pesticides. There are pesticides that are approved.

In addition - as I said in my previous post - organic means the farmer at the farm where the piece of fruit came from, didn't use any unapproved pesticides. However, that does not mean that the farmer a mile away upwind didn't spray HIS stuff with unapproved pesticides. It doesn't mean the bees that pollinate the flora on the organic farm, have only pollinated using exclusively organic plants. It doesn't mean a squirrel didn't scurry around the non-organic neighbor's garden, grab some nuts, and plant them in the organic nut farm garden (ask me why I have lemon balm and a maple tree growing in my herb garden).

And conventionally farmed produce absolutely can be organic. It just means they never got the certification and therefore are not allowed to use that designation.

Summary: just because the label says something, doesn't mean the product is what you think it is. With the singular exception of GMO. If the sticker says it's GMO, then it is, with no special qualifications.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Sage

a produce manager once told me when I complained about the stickers that they had tried using less sticky stickers but people would peel them off and put them on more expensive apples or plums or whatever i mean can you believe what some people will do to save ten cents?
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.