Can incoming seniors afford retirment in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 05:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Affordability depends on how much money you saved and where you moved from. We moved from NJ and our property taxes went from $12,000 to $2200. Utilities, car and home
insurance and restaurants are less expensive. I know people who have moved from the Midwest and it was less expensive living there. We are here 5 years and feel TV is a good value. Additionally, the price of golf is much cheaper than belonging to golf clubs up North.
In the Midwest, it depends on where you live. I live in suburban Chicago, a fairly high cost of living area, especially property tax wise. In the northwest suburbs of Cook County, a single family home is minimum $180K (and that would most likely be an older, "fixer upper" home) I believe Illinois property taxes are the 2nd most expensive in the U.S. My dad lives in a smaller city in eastern Iowa. The cost of housing and property taxes are much lower . . . you can still get an older single family home in eastern Iowa for under $130K.

Property taxes are a big concern for me, especially looking down the road 10 years. Illinois property taxes will eventually price the state out of the market for me. Wherever I end up in my golden years, cost of living, property taxes and snow free climate will be key factors.

As far as the size of The Villages, I have lived in the Chicago area for 37 years, so dealing with traffic and crowds is nothing new for me. I can understand though, why some long-time Villagers may be less than happy with the expansion of TV, especially the growth/expansion in the past decade.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 10-03-2017 at 06:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Affordability depends on how much money you saved and where you moved from. We moved from NJ and our property taxes went from $12,000 to $2200. Utilities, car and home
insurance and restaurants are less expensive. I know people who have moved from the Midwest and it was less expensive living there. We are here 5 years and feel TV is a good value. Additionally, the price of golf is much cheaper than belonging to golf clubs up North.

Value is the operative word. Is it worth it for some people? When my children were younger I moved into an area in Fairfax County VA that was way over my budget. I could afford the house but that was about it. I moved there because that particular area had an excellent school system. The sacrifices were worth it. Same with TV. There are less expensive places, but I know this is the best place to be. I would rather live in a modest house in TV than a larger one someplace else and I have talked with others who feel the same way. For us, we want to be out of the house and more active. Will this be our last house? I do not know. I do know this move is right at this time in our lives. Thursday cannot come soon enough.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
Value is the operative word. Is it worth it for some people? When my children were younger I moved into an area in Fairfax County VA that was way over my budget. I could afford the house but that was about it. I moved there because that particular area had an excellent school system. The sacrifices were worth it. Same with TV. There are less expensive places, but I know this is the best place to be. I would rather live in a modest house in TV than a larger one someplace else and I have talked with others who feel the same way. For us, we want to be out of the house and more active. Will this be our last house? I do not know. I do know this move is right at this time in our lives. Thursday cannot come soon enough.
Hurry home. We'll leave the light on for ya.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I believe you are already seeing the percentage of private sector retirees buying into the Villages dropping with public sector and military increasing. Pension plans and medical coverage are the two drivers. Private sector is in big trouble. IMO
Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
I believe you are already seeing the percentage of private sector retirees buying into the Villages dropping with public sector and military increasing. Pension plans and medical coverage are the two drivers. Private sector is in big trouble. IMO
Where do I go to see this data?
Old 10-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Gold member
Default Things are as they are-perhaps not as they should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Couple thoughts............most people don't work for large corporations. Also, it's kind of a net-zero game......additional benefits means less pay. Otherwise, profits are down or prices go up. Pensions are pretty much gone because it's almost impossible to promise to pay in the future.

I don't think it's a big corporation problem.

IMO
Even defined benefit pensions. I had a friend who was a bit older than I was at the time I knew him. He was a member of the lithographers union and had devoted most of his working life to the company he worked for. Today, much of what they did is obsolete or done overseas. With less and less work and fewer and fewer members, he received a note that they regret they were cutting his pension by 30%.

What do you need to have? All you need to know is exactly how long you and your wife will live. What your healthcare costs will be, what the rate of inflation will be for the rest of your life, what the return on your investments will be and we can calculate exactly what you must have. Immediate trouble is we do not know any of the needed information. The stock market only goes up-EXCEPT WHEN IT DOESN'T. Our government tells us they want 2% inflation-WHY? The reason is truly simple-so that they can devalue the real value of the TWENTY TRILLION DOLLARS they are overdrawn, First of all IN HISTORY, they have never been able to control inflation that well.

At 2% inflation. long term in about 30 years you will need two dollars to buy what a dollar buys today,
Old 10-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Gold member
Default RE: 15% in IRAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSHORES View Post
For the past 30 years we put 10-15% of our pay checks in 401K and 403B plans. We also taught our daughter to do the same thing. The other lesson we taught our Daughter was to only use your charge card to purchase what you can pay for in full at the end of the month. If all of us and our children follow these simple rules your lives will be much less stressful. You may not always have everything you want as fast as you want it but in the long run you will be much better off. As we downsize our current household items to get ready for our move to TV, we also have realized just how many things we could have really done without (;-). However these items make our garage sales very interesting and fun.
We did the same for 45 years. I lost touch with my friend who always made fun of how hard I worked and how frugal-OK let's be honest CHEAP I was/am. I lost touch with my."friend" because he, on the verge of having his home with several mortgages on it foreclosed on.

My friend-he is now living on welfare, food stamps and medicaid. WE/I ARE STILL PAYING HIS BILLS EVERY APRIL 15TH. Who is smart? I sometimes wonder.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
We did the same for 45 years. I lost touch with my friend who always made fun of how hard I worked and how frugal-OK let's be honest CHEAP I was/am. I lost touch with my."friend" because he, on the verge of having his home with several mortgages on it foreclosed on.

My friend-he is now living on welfare, food stamps and medicaid. WE/I ARE STILL PAYING HIS BILLS EVERY APRIL 15TH. Who is smart? I sometimes wonder.
Remember, a friend in need........

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Where do I go to see this data?
I do not have specific data for The Villages, that is why I said I believe. That said I was part of that private sector who lost medical coverage and a large part of their pension after 34 years with no recourse. So please don’t attempt to educate me on private vs public sector unless of course the private sector is where your 40 plus years of work was spent. If so I’d be glad to swap notes with you. I think you might discover the private sector is in deep s””t if you care to look, no data needed.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
I do not have specific data for The Villages, that is why I said I believe. That said I was part of that private sector who lost medical coverage and a large part of their pension after 34 years with no recourse. So please don’t attempt to educate me on private vs public sector unless of course the private sector is where your 40 plus years of work was spent. If so I’d be glad to swap notes with you. I think you might discover the private sector is in deep s””t if you care to look, no data needed.

Common knowledge, no need to reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The developers continue to purchase more land to build upon. They are smart and successful. I am with them. Come on down!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, retirment, incoming, seniors, afford

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.