Can you separate a man from his music?

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2019, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, I guess, I don’t really follow Woods but I have heard some things. However, I think there is a difference between hurting an adult who is capable vs hurting young children who are vulnerable. I’m sure Woods had consequences if he did all that.
You wonder why it took so long for the accusers of Michael Jackson to come forward. https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...=.4f4afe2e43d3
Old 04-02-2019, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Woods cheated on his wife with a lot of various women and seemed to have quite an addiction to sex.

Not sure how I see any real evil in that. He was a very rotten husband. There are many of those around.

And he is not the role model for kids that many thought he was.
Yup not a role model for his children or any children who put him in a hero status mimicking their parents. When is behavior over the line - because it affected a child ? What about the elderly ? What about the handicapped ? The third point is the situations that your proposing are accusations. Tiger's was factual. What about innocent until proven guilty ? My point is if one forgave Tiger and worship his accomplishments why are you throwing out Michael Jackson's music.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Question Can you separate a man from his music?

Are the works of a man like Michael Jackson-- accused of abhorrent actions with kids-- still worthwhile on their own? Or should we throw away the music because of those allegations?

It depends! In this case, I've already made my feeling known. Some people deserve a second chance some don't. It depends but not in the case you mention. I don't think there is any daylight on how I should handle or think about this. But I shouldn't tell you how to handle it. Can you imagine if he went to jail instead of passing away? Karma boy, it's a powerful thing!
Can you also imagine if it turned out the accusers were settling an unfair score, and that he didn't do any of those things he was accused of doing?
Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Can you also imagine if it turned out the accusers were settling an unfair score, and that he didn't do any of those things he was accused of doing?
I really like a lot of the things you post Jazuela but do I think any accusers were settling a score? Not A Snowballs Chance in Lady Lake. Sleeping with Minors who he Farmed Raised and paid off. It's Obvious why he Couldn't Sleep. Guilt!

With all the things in the news lately that turn out to be what they didn't look like in the beginning, it does make you stop and think for a minute if the rumors are true. Minutes up, he's guilty. I don't remember any victims saying they were wrong about what went on back in the day. Wish he had of made it to Bubba! He took the Cowards way out!

Jackson's Sister Says She Believes He Is a Molester : Scandal: 'This has been going on since 1981, and it's not just one child,' LaToya Jackson tells reporters in Tel Aviv. She has been estranged from other family members.
JIM NEWTON
TIMES STAFF WRITER
Michael Jackson's sister LaToya hinted Wednesday that she believes her brother is guilty of sexually molesting young boys and of paying off their families to keep them quiet.

"I just think Michael needs help," LaToya Jackson told reporters at a Tel Aviv news conference, according to wire service reports. "This has been going on since 1981, and it's not just one child."

LaToya Jackson told reporters that she could no longer "be a silent collaborator of his crimes against small, innocent children," the Reuters news agency reported. "If I remain silent, then that means that I feel the guilt and humiliation that these children are feeling, and I think it's very wrong."

LaToya Jackson's comments mark the first time that a member of the Jackson family has turned against the entertainer, who has spent months battling allegations that he sexually molested a 13-year-old boy over a period of four months earlier this year. Jackson's parents and other siblings have stood by the entertainer as he has denied wrongdoing and sought treatment for what he says is an addiction to painkillers.

Michael Jackson's attorneys did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment about LaToya Jackson's remarks in Tel Aviv. They have said previously that Jackson slept with children but that he never molested any of them, including the boy who is at the center of the civil and criminal investigations.

Other family members strongly rebutted LaToya Jackson during an interview with a local television reporter at the family's Encino compound Wednesday night.

LaToya Jackson is estranged from her family and has not made joint appearances with them during the months that Michael Jackson has been under international scrutiny. She told reporters that her family has backed Michael Jackson because they are afraid he will cut them off financially.

In her news conference Wednesday, LaToya Jackson said she had decided to speak out against her brother even though she loves him. Her husband and manager, Jack Gordon, alleged at the news conference that Michael Jackson had threatened to kill LaToya to keep her from revealing the child molestation allegations.

"I love Michael very dearly, but I feel even more sorry for these children because they don't have a life anymore," LaToya Jackson said, her voice breaking.

She also said in the news conference that she has seen checks made out to the parents of children who she says were abused by her brother.

"I have seen these checks and I've seen these checks through my mother," LaToya Jackson said. "She showed me these checks that Michael had written to these children, and it's for a great amount and I'm not speaking pennies. The sums are very, very large amounts."

The allegations by the 13-year-old boy were made in August, and police have launched a criminal investigation of Jackson. In addition, the boy has filed a lawsuit that is scheduled to go to trial in March.

The boy's lawyer, Larry R. Feldman, said LaToya Jackson's comments echoed reports that he has received while pressing forward with the civil case against Jackson.

"This is very consistent with other evidence that we have developed through our investigation," Feldman said. He added, however, that the reports have not been confirmed.

From the earliest stages of the case, Feldman has indicated that he plans to question LaToya Jackson. In fact, she was scheduled to be deposed this week, but her deposition is being rescheduled because she is out of the country.

In a previous deposition, one of Jackson's chauffeurs said he had taken the entertainer to the boy's house at least 30 times, leaving him off at night and picking him up the following day. Although Jackson never has denied spending nights with the boy, Feldman later said the chauffeur's comments, made under oath, corroborated his client's story.

LaToya Jackson appeared to allude to the chauffeur's statement in her news conference.

"Now you stop and you think for one second," she told reporters, "and you tell me what 35-year-old man is going to take a little boy and stay with him for 30 days and take another boy and stay with him for five days in a room and never leave the room?"

In an interview with KCBS-TV, family members lashed out at LaToya Jackson, saying she was profiteering, "brainwashed" and in the clutches of a greedy husband.

"The reason why this is said is because (LaToya Jackson and Gordon) know once they say something like this all of the tabloids are going to come back here, they're going to ask her to come on shows. This is the way this guy (Gordon) makes money," her brother Jermaine Jackson said.

Michael Jackson is scheduled to be deposed on Jan. 18, although the date could change if there is a change in the status of the criminal investigation. The entertainer has not been publicly heard from since last month, when he abruptly canceled a world tour after announcing that he had become addicted to painkillers.

His lawyers say Jackson is being treated in Europe for his addiction.

Probably not a lie but they are about as stable as Jello!
Old 04-02-2019, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

He was a POS!
This was posted in the other thread.
10 Undeniable Facts About the Michael Jackson Sexual-Abuse Allegations

An "overdose" was too good for him.
Steve
Old 04-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Sage

Nucky your copy/paste of what I believe is the 1993 LA Times article, which summarizes a third-hand accounting from a UPI newswire interview, was debunked - by LaToya Jackson herself in 2011. She was forced to say those things by her husband Jack Gordon, because he knew that would attract the tabloids for more drama, and thus, more money. She never believed her brother was a child molester. Of course, LaToya Jackson has her own demons, so it's hard to tell which part of this she's telling the truth about, and which part is completely fabricated. In the first, she's supposedly telling all this - why, exactly? The only thing she stood to gain by that was money. Which she got, in spades as a result of that interview. In the second, she was interviewed in advance of her new book (new at the time, in 2011), so she stood to make money no matter what she said.

Basically, I wouldn't count on anything LaToya Jackson said, about anything, to be reliable information.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
He was a POS!
This was posted in the other thread.
10 Undeniable Facts About the Michael Jackson Sexual-Abuse Allegations

An "overdose" was too good for him.
Steve
Most of those 10 "facts" have no basis in fact. The article doesn't cite any sources at all. A very quick google search pulled up plenty to dispute MOST of those "facts" and bring up questions about the allegations and those making them. Not credible.

I'm not suggesting that MJ didn't molest anyone. I'm saying there's no way to know one way or another. The couple of people who've made the allegations, have been proven NOT credible. What's worse, one of them (Wade Robson) insisted for years that he was never molested and didn't change his story until filing a lawsuit demanding a sizeable financial reward - a year after MJ was dead. Waiting for your *alleged* criminal to die so he can't testify in his own defense is pretty low.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Can I separate a man from his music? First off, i never really considered him a man since he went straight from being a boy to being a freak who essentially transformed himself into something that looked more like an unattractive woman. As far as his music, if you want to call it that, was never anything I wanted to listen to. I did enjoy the Jackson 5 way back in the day, but after that it went downhill very fast.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Can I separate a man from his music? First off, i never really considered him a man since he went straight from being a boy to being a freak who essentially transformed himself into something that looked more like an unattractive woman. As far as his music, if you want to call it that, was never anything I wanted to listen to. I did enjoy the Jackson 5 way back in the day, but after that it went downhill very fast.
Yes physically he was very freakish, and his obsession with plastic surgery was disturbing, to say the least. A blind person wouldn't have known the difference though. All they'd have to go by is the sound of his music.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Most of those 10 "facts" have no basis in fact. The article doesn't cite any sources at all. A very quick google search pulled up plenty to dispute MOST of those "facts" and bring up questions about the allegations and those making them. Not credible.

I'm not suggesting that MJ didn't molest anyone. I'm saying there's no way to know one way or another. The couple of people who've made the allegations, have been proven NOT credible. What's worse, one of them (Wade Robson) insisted for years that he was never molested and didn't change his story until filing a lawsuit demanding a sizeable financial reward - a year after MJ was dead. Waiting for your *alleged* criminal to die so he can't testify in his own defense is pretty low.
Good you are trying to get at the facts about Michael Jackson which are often very hard to get at when you bring in all the personal interests involved in these accusations being made by parties.

He was extremely strange in his behavior around kids but he had a weird childhood if you could even call it that.

And I do think some lawyers coach their clients on what to say and usually for the money. The lawyers profit along with their clients.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-03-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Sage

Michael Jackson - Ben official music video.avi - YouTube

Still enjoy the music in various Michael Jackson videos.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Veteran member

I suppose I can separate art from artist but generally have no desire to do so. If I find someone's behavior repugnant, I don't want to watch their dopey faces onscreen, read their books, or listen to their music.

There are also celebrities I dislike for no good reason whose work I don't support. Why would I yuck myself out?

It's a more difficult call for historical figures because I haven't been personally exposed to their misbehaviors and am generally not going to go research Cézanne's personal life before I enjoy his paintings. The passage of time buries a lot of sins.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Sage
Default "Beat It", "Thriller", "Billie Jean".

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I suppose I can separate art from artist but generally have no desire to do so. If I find someone's behavior repugnant, I don't want to watch their dopey faces onscreen, read their books, or listen to their music.

There are also celebrities I dislike for no good reason whose work I don't support. Why would I yuck myself out?

It's a more difficult call for historical figures because I haven't been personally exposed to their misbehaviors and am generally not going to go research Cézanne's personal life before I enjoy his paintings. The passage of time buries a lot of sins.
Some of the songs that were hits from Michael Jackson will be around as long as there is music. Beat It stands out for me.

Michael Jackson - Beat It (Official Video) - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
accused, man, music, allegations, throw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.