Can you separate a man from his music?

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I have a hard time separating some artist's art from their personal lives.

Many of the musicians that I enjoy have very different political views from me. While I try not to allow that to get in the way of my enjoyment of their music, I have a hard time with the ones that are very outspoken.

It's the same with actors. Although I know that some of them have views that I disagree with, I can still enjoy their work. But those that constantly get themselves in the news with their political views, IMHO, do themselves a disservice. If I happen to be watching a movie with a very outspoken actor, sometimes all I can think about is his political views. It actually detracts from the performance.

Some of these people are becoming more known for their political views and personal lives than their art and that's too bad.

There is nothing wrong with having strong opinions, but these famous people should learn that the world isn't all that interested in their opinions. It seems to me to be unfair that people who become famous for singing, playing an instrument, writing songs, acting or other forms of art, have a platform to influence millions of people with their political views. I wish that something could be done about it but that is one of the downsides of living in a free society.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Some of the songs that were hits from Michael Jackson will be around as long as there is music. Beat It stands out for me.

Michael Jackson - Beat It (Official Video) - YouTube
Man in the Mirror is pretty amazing.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Yes it is.

A U of MN law student in 1988 was trying to convince me that Michael Jackson was one of the best musicians who had ever lived. I had a lot of trouble swallowing that. He talked a lot about Beat It and Man in the Mirror. Man In The Mirror | Michael Jackson Official Site

More of an Eric Clapton kind of guy. Eric Clapton Official Website
Old 04-04-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I have a hard time separating some artist's art from their personal lives.

Many of the musicians that I enjoy have very different political views from me. While I try not to allow that to get in the way of my enjoyment of their music, I have a hard time with the ones that are very outspoken.

It's the same with actors. Although I know that some of them have views that I disagree with, I can still enjoy their work. But those that constantly get themselves in the news with their political views, IMHO, do themselves a disservice. If I happen to be watching a movie with a very outspoken actor, sometimes all I can think about is his political views. It actually detracts from the performance.

Some of these people are becoming more known for their political views and personal lives than their art and that's too bad.

There is nothing wrong with having strong opinions, but these famous people should learn that the world isn't all that interested in their opinions. It seems to me to be unfair that people who become famous for singing, playing an instrument, writing songs, acting or other forms of art, have a platform to influence millions of people with their political views. I wish that something could be done about it but that is one of the downsides of living in a free society.
The talking heads of various celebrities often play off of another for some kind of balance even if at times given the CONTEXT they might go in some direction very strongly. The Ship of Fools might be leaning heavily port or starboard given how the celebrities are on deck as well as the prevailing winds hitting the ship.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
It seems to me to be unfair that people who become famous for singing, playing an instrument, writing songs, acting or other forms of art, have a platform to influence millions of people with their political views.
I wouldn't classify it as unfair because celebrities of all political beliefs have the exact same platform.

Celebrities have always been coveted for advertising because their fans admire them and appreciate hearing their views on any number of causes and charities. Non-fans just need to look away, change the channel, avoid their Twitter accounts, etc.

If you mean it's unfair that non-celebrities aren't given the same access to air their personal views, I'd say they're able to find an audience now more than ever with the ease of social media and YouTube channels.

Quote:
I wish that something could be done about it but that is one of the downsides of living in a free society.
I see it as the beauty of living in a free society.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I wouldn't classify it as unfair because celebrities of all political beliefs have the exact same platform.

Celebrities have always been coveted for advertising because their fans admire them and appreciate hearing their views on any number of causes and charities. Non-fans just need to look away, change the channel, avoid their Twitter accounts, etc.

If you mean it's unfair that non-celebrities aren't given the same access to air their personal views, I'd say they're able to find an audience now more than ever with the ease of social media and YouTube channels.

I see it as the beauty of living in a free society.
Well said.

Hard to believe that there are those that wish they could silence certain people...while only allowing others voices to be heard.

Then again...no it's not.

As for 'celebrities' not being allowed to voice their opinions, imagine how our current country would be so much different right now...if that were actually the case.

On second thought...maybe it IS a good idea after all.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Anyone remember Kurt Cobain? It’s 25 years now since he’s gone. Also the book “Serving the Servant” seems to be rewriting history. Separating not the artist from the art but from the band manager, Danny Goldberg.
Kurt Cobain - Wikipedia

He and his music were quite interesting.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

I'm a big fan of music, of movies and of books. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of personalities. That is, I don't bother to find out much or anything about the artists involved in the creation or performance of these. I don't listen to a song for the first time and then find myself having to check the internet to find out if I should be outraged by the singer or the producer or whoever. Similarly, I don't scour the internet to find out who is a wonderful person and then try to get myself to enjoy their book or movie or whatever. There are no doubt some monsters who create great works and some saints who create garbage and all kinds of other combinations.

That does NOT mean that I don't find some folks to be disgusting human beings when I do manage to learn about them, accidentally or otherwise. I'm definitely a believer in the old saying, "The more I know people, the more I love my dog."

So, can I "separate a man from his music?" It appears that I can.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:44 PM

Hero worship is quite common. Misplaced as it may be. Kurt Cobain, Prince, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, John Belushi, Jimi Hendrix, even Elvis.

Sports stars like Roger Clemens, Pete Rose, Mark McGuire, etc have the stats for the Hall of Fame. Their misdeeds keep them out.

I like the idea of having heroes like teachers, policemen. military, doctors, etc. So no, I won't listen to Michael Jackson, follow Tiger Woods, or idolize any of these guys.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
And then we go to "judge not, lest ye be judged" and "let he without sin cast the first stone" and so on and so forth. I'm not Christian and don't buy any of this horsepucky but I know a lot of people here are. But they also seem to be the people who will cause entire organizations and film crews and actors and media employees to lose their jobs, all because ONE person they don't like, did something they didn't approve of. Just seems very hypocritical to me.
Many people misinterpret many Biblical quotes, especially, "judge not lest ye be judged."That is saying that we should judge people's actions but not the people themselves. God is the only judge of people.

To me, insulting people by calling their beliefs "horsepucky" is unnecessary and provocative. I don't know why you'd want to do that.

I think that it's up to each of us to decide who and what we want to support. I sometimes have difficulty separating artists from their work and their actions outside their art. My disagreements with many of these people a mostly political. Still there are some that I can watch and enjoy and others that all I can think of when watching them is has nothing to do with their performance or artistic ability.

I think that it depends on how vocal these people are about their political beliefs and how much media attention they get because of it.

My signature line is perhaps my favorite quote in history. We all need to be able to have differences of opinions and stop all the name calling and assigning motives to other people's reasons for thinking the way they do.

We all sin. We should all recognize that. But when a person continually sins and shows no remorse, there is no reason to support that person's business or art.

Some people have engaged in bad behavior and have apologized for it and have gone out and done a lot of good for the world. Some people accept this and some people will hold a grudge against a person like this forever. That is up to the individual, but I believe that not forgiving hurt the person who doesn't forgive more than the person that needs forgiveness.

We can disagree without having to be nasty, but we also can choose who we want to do business with.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
There's a big difference between talent and taste. While I am totally blown away with many of the things that Michael Jackson has done musically, I'm not interested in listening to him.

I can appreciate the talent and the work but it's just not a style of music that I enjoy.

Closed Thread

Tags
accused, man, music, allegations, throw

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.