Canadian drivers and toll roads

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts
Default Canadian drivers and toll roads

Just curious.. I read an article today that reports that Canadian drivers who pass under those overhead plate readers and don't have an EZpass sticker are not being billed. This is because the Canadian/Ontario government has not agreed to give our authorities the information on the driver/owner associated with the vehicles. So the Canadians just pass thru and never get a bill. On the other hand, Americans driving in Canada are being billed as apparently we have given them the data they need.

This is a bridge toll near Buffalo, but soon the entire NYS Thruway will convert from human toll collectors to electronic. So my question.. If you are driving a Canadian plated car in Florida, do you get to not pay our tolls as they can't find you? or does Florida have an agreement in place to send bills to Canada?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Just curious.. I read an article today that reports that Canadian drivers who pass under those overhead plate readers and don't have an EZpass sticker are not being billed. This is because the Canadian/Ontario government has not agreed to give our authorities the information on the driver/owner associated with the vehicles. So the Canadians just pass thru and never get a bill. On the other hand, Americans driving in Canada are being billed as apparently we have given them the data they need.

This is a bridge toll near Buffalo, but soon the entire NYS Thruway will convert from human toll collectors to electronic. So my question.. If you are driving a Canadian plated car in Florida, do you get to not pay our tolls as they can't find you? or does Florida have an agreement in place to send bills to Canada?
YES - NO - MAYBE - 4th. choice.... ask Florida or "Barefoot"
Old 07-22-2019, 07:18 PM

I am a Canadian. I have never heard any of my Canadian friends say that they have driven through a toll booth without stopping . The last thing any Canadian wants to do is get in any trouble with the law in USA. We want the privilege of being allowed into the Country. I cannot imagine anyone running through a toll booth to save a few dollars. It just wouldn’t happen.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman View Post
I am a Canadian. I have never heard any of my Canadian friends say that they have driven through a toll booth without stopping . The last thing any Canadian wants to do is get in any trouble with the law in USA. We want the privilege of being allowed into the Country. I cannot imagine anyone running through a toll booth to save a few dollars. It just wouldn’t happen.
You don't understand the situation. We have , in some areas, overhead readers and cameras that record your plat number and/or transponder info. as you drive under the overhead structure at full speed.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
YES - NO - MAYBE - 4th. choice.... ask Florida or "Barefoot"
Thank you for that. I have no idea who "Barefoot" may be, and there are lots of Canadians who might be able to reply. I had already emailed "Florida" and have received no reply. Thus I started this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
You don't understand the situation. We have , in some areas, overhead readers and cameras that record your plate number and/or transponder info. as you drive under the overhead structure at full speed.
Correct. There is no toll booth and no human, just an overhead automated system to read the plate or EZpass then using plate to owner data charge the toll. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	plate reader.JPG
Views:	1841
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	80263  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
You don't understand the situation. We have , in some areas, overhead readers and cameras that record your plat number and/or transponder info. as you drive under the overhead structure at full speed.
Not supposed to drive under at full speed, there is 25 mph speed limit. In Oklahoma If you drive through without paying alarm goes off and photo taken.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Not supposed to drive under at full speed, there is 25 mph speed limit. In Oklahoma If you drive through without paying alarm goes off and photo taken.
Not correct. The overhead readers [gantries] are used to not slow traffic at all while collecting tolls. Go thru at full speed. Only the toll booth readers where you have the option of a human or a SunPass lane should result in slowing.

Quote:
All-electronic, no-cash tolling is a set of technologies that allow for the payment of tolls electronically, using special equipment located on overhead gantries. Simply put, it refers to a toll road without cash tollbooths, where traffic flows unimpeded at ramp or highway speeds.

Tags
canadian, toll, driving, billed, canada

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.