Car Battery Installation

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Default Car Battery Installation

Is there a service that will come to TV to replace my car battery? I realize there are such businesses for replacing golf car batteries, but I can't seem to find one that will replace my car battery.

As always, your suggestions are appreciated.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Sage

If you have AAA, they'll send someone.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Sage

Dan, if you can possibly get the car started and get it to Advanced Auto Parts, I believe they'll sell you a battery and install it for free.

Bill
Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Thank's, Mulligan, I didn't even think of AAA. I am a member and I just sent an email to get a quote.

Bill, if AAA doesn't work out, I'll try Advanced Auto.

Thanks!

Dan
Natick, MA
Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Sage

Mulligan is correct - AAA will come and do it if you're a member. Good that you're getting a quote from them first. I have no idea what their battery pricing is but I suspect it's not going to be "discount pricing".

Bill
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Sage

Dan, one other thing: I remembered I got an e-mail this morning about a promo at Advance - 15% off everything ordered online, Sunday and Monday only. You can order online for store pick-up - nothing extra tacked on like shipping, etc.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...teries_LeftNav

Need to enter the code noted in the link when placing the order to receive the 15% off. I've ordered things from them in the past on similar promotions and it works great.

I assume this isn't some sort of restricted/regional-type offer (we're in OH) but it might be worth checking with the store down there just to make sure.

Hey, 15% off is........well.........15% off! Better than nothing at all!!

Hope that helps - - -

Bill
Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Car Battery ???

Just a reminder !!!!
Don't do it yourself unless you know what your doing !!!
If you disconnect your car battery without an electronic backup you will lose all your computer settings....You can go to an auto parts store or Walmart and buy a GISMO for about three bucks and plug it into your cigarette lighter socket and then its safe to disconnect and replace your battery,,,,,the gismo is loaded with a couple of aaa batteries that save your computer system automatically...

its easy ...........fumar
Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Gold member
Default Battery Replacement

You can loose fuel control and transmission shift control adaptative stragaties of your vehicles OBD 2 memory. This can be re learned however it may require a variation of driving over 10- 50 miles. In other words you vehicle learns your driving style and a battery disconnect makes it go blank!

You can have theft and radio security problems with a battery disconnect.

The Gentleman was correct on a keep alive memor adapter however many cars do not connect the cars computer to the power adapter when the key is cycled off. This is for battery drain. So you plug it in and loose everything anyway.

There has also been reports of air-bag deployments from using battery back ups. This has to do with voltage spikes.

Some techs will keep the computer memories alive by installing a jump pack in parallel while the dead battery is being replaced.

I recommend with todays rolling computers! A trained technician install your battery with the correct replacement Cold Cranking Amps and OE replace size.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by natickdan View Post
Is there a service that will come to TV to replace my car battery? I realize there are such businesses for replacing golf car batteries, but I can't seem to find one that will replace my car battery.

As always, your suggestions are appreciated.
I had AAA come to our house to jumpstart a SUV battery. It needed a new battery and the mechanic had batteries for sale on his truck. It worked out to cost less than buying a battery at Walmart. And he did it immediately.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 AM

I just received a response from AAA stating that they do not carry my battery
(Mazda Miata) and they suggested I bring the car to an authorized AAA servicer.

The points about replacing the Battery yourself are valid. I've got a back issue, so I'll have it professionally installed when I return to TV tomorrow.

Bill, thanks for the the Advanced Auto Parts link. I just checked their site and they have the battery I need in stock, so I'm going to order it.

One less thing to have to worry about.

Dan
Natick, MA
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Bill, thanks to your suggestion, I saved more than $15 and I also qualified for $25 off my next purchase of $50 or more.

This is yet another great example of the benefits this forum offers to its members. I got a problem solved and I also saved money. What a great combination!

Dan
Natick, MA
Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by natickdan View Post
Bill, thanks to your suggestion, I saved more than $15 and I also qualified for $25 off my next purchase of $50 or more.

This is yet another great example of the benefits this forum offers to its members. I got a problem solved and I also saved money. What a great combination!
Hey, great that it worked out for you! Glad to help -

Bill
Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Talking about car batteries...my car battery is UNDER the back seat and you need to make sure you buy a "vented" battery or else I guess the thing can blow up. Now there are jumper terminals under the hood...but no battery!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Sage

Yep, you're right, caroline - without a battery built to vent the cells to the exterior of the car, you run the risk of the gasses produced during the battery charging process (when the car's running) building up inside the car and exploding - literally! Some batteries, like yours, can be under the rear seat. Another popular place is in a hidden compartment in the trunk.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.