Car buying tips

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2020, 06:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Car buying tips

I have helped several buy cars and created this 1 page advice on buying a car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Car Buying tips.pdf (23.6 KB, 3862 views)
Old 09-05-2020, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,675 Times in 5,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Good advice. I always carefully calculate the KBB.com fair value price, including the trade-in, down to the out-the-door number. I put it on post-it note and give the dealer about 15 minutes to accept it or I leave. I never calculate a dealer fee, never sit it the dealer's office, and never discuss any numbers except the out-the-door price. Most dealers will sell the car for that price.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

thanks for sharing your sage advice on one of the experiences that we all dread going through...buying a car from a dealer
Old 09-05-2020, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Thank you. Plan to buy a second car once we have someplace to go and will use your sheet.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
As a member of USAA Insurance I use them. Dealers automatically back away and the best deal is done within minutes.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanTho View Post
As a member of USAA Insurance I use them. Dealers automatically back away and the best deal is done within minutes.
Use them for what? How? I am also insured with USAA
Old 09-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
Use them for what? How? I am also insured with USAA
USAA has a car buying service for members. However, the problem is that they use "TrueCar" for pricing the cars. You should know that TrueCar is a vehicle pricing service that is almost totally funded by car dealers. It is designed to help dealers sell cars, not to provide consumers with accurate, unbiased information about the value of cars. I would suggest using either KBB.com or Edmunds.com to calculate the fair value of a vehicle. In general, I don't like buying services. First, they claim that their dealers are "certified", which means nothing (ask them for a list of dealers who they would not certify). And, sometimes, you will be directed to a dealer who is supposed to have a particular car on the lot, but it turns out to be just a ploy to get you to visit the dealer, where they will try to sell you another car. If you use a buying service, I would get the window sticker and VIN number for an actual car, and a calculated "out-the-door" price before even visiting the dealer to view the car. The out-the-door price includes all costs down to the sales tax, tags, and title.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:49 PM

Didn't know Edmunds.com. Gonna check it out.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Car buying

My best advice his to have knowledge, look up where your current car is selling for a retail if you're going to trade it in and realize a jeweler wants to make three to four thousand dollars when they refill your car later so your car will be discounted. New cars commonly have a profit margin of 8 12% off dealer sticker so that is usually what they're working with to give you a discount of course there are rebates special Loan offers and what's going on I called the hold back or kick back from the manufacturer depending on how well the car is selling. The most important thing is that if you were going to finance your vehicle if you get pre-approved from dozens of different banks and internet sources so you know what you should be paying about an interest rate based on your credit serval companies on the internet do this without you it's called A Hard pull which would affect your credit rate. Very simply don't take crap how many salesperson giving you high pressure. Remember you buy four cars or six cars in your life they sell 500 every month
Old 09-06-2020, 06:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Good advice! Thanks. Still buying a car is a scary, intimidating experience for a lot of people.

I’ve subscribed to “Consumer Reports” and read it cover to cover for almost forty years. I would NEVER buy a car without looking at the Consumer Reports ratings and learning the car’s strengths, weaknesses, and reliability. Why buy a car with a low rating when I can buy a car with a high rating for the same price? Here is a link to where you can join or subscribe.
Best Rated Cars from Consumer Reports

Consumer Also has a service (in link, I guess, with another company mentioned here) that will show you what each accessory costs, what the actual dealer cost is, etc. It will tell you what to offer for a specific car. More, you can put together a package of exactly what car you are looking for, with what accessories. Consumer Reports will tell you what lots within shipping distance have that specific car and are willing to sell it to you for that specific price, with no dickering. You go in, sign the papers, and take your car. You can have your car serviced at any dealership. You don’t have to have it serviced where you buy it. Dealers make money off service, so it’s fine with them.
Build & Buy Car Buying Service
Old 09-06-2020, 06:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Good advice! Thanks. Still buying a car is a scary, intimidating experience for a lot of people.

I’ve subscribed to “Consumer Reports” and read it cover to cover for almost forty years. I would NEVER buy a car without looking at the Consumer Reports ratings and learning the car’s strengths, weaknesses, and reliability. Why buy a car with a low rating when I can buy a car with a high rating for the same price? Here is a link to where you can join or subscribe.
Best Rated Cars from Consumer Reports

Consumer Also has a service (in link, I guess, with another company mentioned here) that will show you what each accessory costs, what the actual dealer cost is, etc. It will tell you what to offer for a specific car. More, you can put together a package of exactly what car you are looking for, with what accessories. Consumer Reports will tell you what lots within shipping distance have that specific car and are willing to sell it to you for that specific price, with no dickering. You go in, sign the papers, and take your car. You can have your car serviced at any dealership. You don’t have to have it serviced where you buy it. Dealers make money off service, so it’s fine with them.
Build & Buy Car Buying Service
Old 09-06-2020, 07:09 AM

As a USAA member, I have purchased a number of new vehicles using their car buying service.

Their new car and trade-in valuation have been "spot on" when compared with both edmunds and kbb.

The most significant advantage is that the service puts the request "out for bid", involving a number of dealerships. Yes, it can be a hassle, sorting through the calls and emails; but, in my experience, it results in a lower purchase price AND better service.

Since you asked, there is one tip I always give to prospective buyers when visiting a new car dealership. It's OK to test drive a vehicle but walk (run) away from a dealership that displays "dealer" add-ons -- nitrogen in the tires, paint and/or interior protectant, door-edge guards, contracted service, etc. etc.

That dealership is scamming the public and IS NOT to be trusted!
Old 09-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

Thank you for sharing your advice!
Old 09-06-2020, 08:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
As a USAA member, I have purchased a number of new vehicles using their car buying service.

Their new car and trade-in valuation have been "spot on" when compared with both edmunds and kbb.

The most significant advantage is that the service puts the request "out for bid", involving a number of dealerships. Yes, it can be a hassle, sorting through the calls and emails; but, in my experience, it results in a lower purchase price AND better service.

Since you asked, there is one tip I always give to prospective buyers when visiting a new car dealership. It's OK to test drive a vehicle but walk (run) away from a dealership that displays "dealer" add-ons -- nitrogen in the tires, paint and/or interior protectant, door-edge guards, contracted service, etc. etc.

That dealership is scamming the public and IS NOT to be trusted!
I believe that all dealers have scam tactics. But, if you can calculate the Edmunds and KBB fair values, you don't need a buying service and you don't even need to discuss the add-on sticker. Just ask for the dealer's out-the-door price, and if it higher then the Edmunds or KBB price, offer to buy the car for the price you calculated. If he refuses, then leave. But, in my experience, almost any dealer will accept the KBB price because they need to sell the car more then you need to buy it. After you make your offer, don't stay longer than about 10 or 15 minutes, and don't ever go into the dealer's office. If you leave, they will always call you back. A buying service doesn't do anything that you can't do yourself, and it doesn't guarantee a low price.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,047 Times in 2,738 Posts

We will never buy a new car again. Florida has so many well to do older folks who buy very expensive new cars, barley drive them, and the cars never see northern winters, road salt, or pot holes. The cars depreciate rapidly because of age but are in almost new condition. Why pay new car prices when you can get a low mileage used car in great shape for 1/4 to 1/3 of the price?
Closed Thread

Tags
car, buying, advice, page, created

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.