Car buying tips

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2020, 08:23 AM

One trick I hate is that they want you to give them your keys. I always "assume" they are going to have someone look at my car while I talk to the salesperson. Can be hard to get those keys back.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
Use them for what? How? I am also insured with USAA
Buying a car, give them the trade in particulars. USAA will come back with the dealership to go to.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:55 AM

I have found that the best price on a new vehicle is always through the dealers “internet manager”. I learned this tip years ago when I worked for 25 years in the business. Not saying you shouldn’t do your homework but once you know the vehicle you want, make the call to the dealerships internet manager for your absolute best price.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:30 AM

2020 Subaru Forester Prices: MSRP, Invoice, Holdback & Dealer Cost
Old 09-06-2020, 11:37 AM

If purchasing a new car, I recommend negotiating the price purely via their internet manager. It's definitely less stressful, and I think it gets to a better price. I've used the following approach several times, and I've been comfortable with the price I paid:
1.) First decide exactly what car you want, down to the trim level, options and color. This will probably entail your going to some dealers to test drive cars -- but don't talk price or enter into a negotiation after the test drive. Just tell them you'll think about it, and walk away. Also, use Consumer Reports to help you decide exactly what you want -- they are a good source to see comparative reviews among similar vehicles of the class you are looking at.
2.) Use a search app to find several instances of the exact car you want within whatever distance you're willing to travel to pick up a new car. I like autotrader.com. You can input trim levels, options, colors, etc, etc to search for the exact car you want.
3.) Go to the manufacturer's website and use the build-a-car option to price out the car and to get a first look at the rebates being offerred.
4.) Go to the dealers website, and initiate a request for quote to their internet person. Start the process by quoting the VIN from the car you found, and ask for their best out-the-door price. Be clear that you want the out-the-door price that includes all fees and extras. Whatever you do, don't give them your phone number. Keep the negotiation by email as it's less stressful and they know you can walk away in a heart beat.
5.) Initiate the above with multiple dealers at the same time. By seeing how each one responds, you may pick up visibility on another rebate that's out there or clearly see that some dealers are adding on fees that others aren't.
6.) Most, but not all, will play games in the email exchange, but keep after them for the out-the-door price. Don't be shy about telling them you're casting your net wide and will choose strictly by price over a wide area.
7.) They will all ask you for your phone number repeatedly, but don't give it to them.
8.) If you've zeroed in on a price you feel is as good as you can get, drop it by a few hundred bucks and make them a firm offer, stressing that it is an out-the-door number including all fees and extras.
9.) When you finally have a hand shake on price over the email, then give them a call and arrange the logistics. But beware of them still trying to sneak in extra things like a dealer fee. Keep their email in your pocket where the exchange said your offer was for the out-the-door price.
10.) Be prepared to walk away up to the last minute if they try to slip something in on the final paperwork.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
One trick I hate is that they want you to give them your keys. I always "assume" they are going to have someone look at my car while I talk to the salesperson. Can be hard to get those keys back.
Best to keep the trade in off the table until you are ready to buy the car. My car key stays in my pocket.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aacosner View Post
If purchasing a new car, I recommend negotiating the price purely via their internet manager. It's definitely less stressful, and I think it gets to a better price. I've used the following approach several times, and I've been comfortable with the price I paid:
1.) First decide exactly what car you want, down to the trim level, options and color. This will probably entail your going to some dealers to test drive cars -- but don't talk price or enter into a negotiation after the test drive. Just tell them you'll think about it, and walk away. Also, use Consumer Reports to help you decide exactly what you want -- they are a good source to see comparative reviews among similar vehicles of the class you are looking at.
2.) Use a search app to find several instances of the exact car you want within whatever distance you're willing to travel to pick up a new car. I like autotrader.com. You can input trim levels, options, colors, etc, etc to search for the exact car you want.
3.) Go to the manufacturer's website and use the build-a-car option to price out the car and to get a first look at the rebates being offerred.
4.) Go to the dealers website, and initiate a request for quote to their internet person. Start the process by quoting the VIN from the car you found, and ask for their best out-the-door price. Be clear that you want the out-the-door price that includes all fees and extras. Whatever you do, don't give them your phone number. Keep the negotiation by email as it's less stressful and they know you can walk away in a heart beat.
5.) Initiate the above with multiple dealers at the same time. By seeing how each one responds, you may pick up visibility on another rebate that's out there or clearly see that some dealers are adding on fees that others aren't.
6.) Most, but not all, will play games in the email exchange, but keep after them for the out-the-door price. Don't be shy about telling them you're casting your net wide and will choose strictly by price over a wide area.
7.) They will all ask you for your phone number repeatedly, but don't give it to them.
8.) If you've zeroed in on a price you feel is as good as you can get, drop it by a few hundred bucks and make them a firm offer, stressing that it is an out-the-door number including all fees and extras.
9.) When you finally have a hand shake on price over the email, then give them a call and arrange the logistics. But beware of them still trying to sneak in extra things like a dealer fee. Keep their email in your pocket where the exchange said your offer was for the out-the-door price.
10.) Be prepared to walk away up to the last minute if they try to slip something in on the final paperwork.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:04 PM

One item should be added to the negotiation. Do not give your keys for them to evaluate your trade. Go with them while they drive your car and as soon as you return to the dealership TAKE the keys . This insures no damage to your trade by them and you have your keys and can leave when ever you want.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
I don't have a problem lending them my keys to inspect my car. That way, when I make an offer, they have already evaluated the trade value. I think if they refused to return the keys, I may call the police and report the car stolen. But, I can't imagine that being necessary.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:43 PM
Default Insurance rates affected

I wish there were a publication available that showed which things on a car made the insurance rates higher/lower - or even which brands of cars made insurance rates higher or lower. That would be truly helpful!
Old 09-06-2020, 03:15 PM

I saw they recently opened up an authorized KBB Instant Cash Offer dealer in TV. They have no high pressure sales people, just you and the manager, you get a free valuation on what your vehicle is worth, and if you just want to sell your car, they write a check on the spot. I hear they even do mobile appraisals if you can’t come to them.
webuycarstrucks I’m sure they have a website but it won’t let me post it here
Hopes this helps
Old 09-06-2020, 04:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
I wish there were a publication available that showed which things on a car made the insurance rates higher/lower - or even which brands of cars made insurance rates higher or lower. That would be truly helpful!
This link might help.

Click here.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
As a USAA member, I have purchased a number of new vehicles using their car buying service.

Their new car and trade-in valuation have been "spot on" when compared with both edmunds and kbb.

The most significant advantage is that the service puts the request "out for bid", involving a number of dealerships. Yes, it can be a hassle, sorting through the calls and emails; but, in my experience, it results in a lower purchase price AND better service.

Since you asked, there is one tip I always give to prospective buyers when visiting a new car dealership. It's OK to test drive a vehicle but walk (run) away from a dealership that displays "dealer" add-ons -- nitrogen in the tires, paint and/or interior protectant, door-edge guards, contracted service, etc. etc.

That dealership is scamming the public and IS NOT to be trusted!
Yes indeed I have been with USAA for years plus when I left the USAF after 20+ I went to work for them.

I have bought my cars through USAA for years. Zero hassle, no headaches, in and out . Period
Old 09-06-2020, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
Don’t give them keys.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Thomas View Post
I saw they recently opened up an authorized KBB Instant Cash Offer dealer in TV. They have no high pressure sales people, just you and the manager, you get a free valuation on what your vehicle is worth, and if you just want to sell your car, they write a check on the spot. I hear they even do mobile appraisals if you can’t come to them.
webuycarstrucks I’m sure they have a website but it won’t let me post it here
Hopes this helps
You get lowball price.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, buying, advice, page, created

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.