Car buying tips

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2020, 02:28 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I will add, if you ever drop your beware radar because the salesman seems honest, that just cost you an additional 1000. Car sales staff’s job is to do or say whatever it takes to get every penny they can out of you.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
One trick I hate is that they want you to give them your keys. I always "assume" they are going to have someone look at my car while I talk to the salesperson. Can be hard to get those keys back.
Happened to me.....
...When they delayed the return of keys for 45 minutes after I demanded my keys back ....
I called the non emergency police number..... told them I was being held against my will at the car dealership....

A cruiser happened to be nearby and the officer came in ...and after some discussion ...
took the salesman outside to talk... and explained why he should show respect to the officer.

Probably the salesman would have been better off IF he wasn't so disrespectful to the nice officer.

I told the officer ... .. just make him be less apt to do it again.

Last edited by mrfixit; 09-07-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: tmi
Old 09-08-2020, 05:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
Happened to me.....
...When they delayed the return of keys for 45 minutes after I demanded my keys back ....
I called the non emergency police number..... told them I was being held against my will at the car dealership....

A cruiser happened to be nearby and the officer came in ...and after some discussion ...
took the salesman outside to talk... and explained why he should show respect to the officer.

Probably the salesman would have been better off IF he wasn't so disrespectful to the nice officer.

I told the officer ... .. just make him be less apt to do it again.
Good for you.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Thomas View Post
I saw they recently opened up an authorized KBB Instant Cash Offer dealer in TV. They have no high pressure sales people, just you and the manager, you get a free valuation on what your vehicle is worth, and if you just want to sell your car, they write a check on the spot. I hear they even do mobile appraisals if you can’t come to them.
webuycarstrucks I’m sure they have a website but it won’t let me post it here
Hopes this helps
I just did it. It is a low ball offer.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

The most important thing is to choose the kind of car you truly want to own.

Then compute the out-the door price you are willing to pay.

Go to a dealer that has the car you want to buy and offer your price.

If they do not accept your price after ten minutes, leave.

For example, last year we wanted to trade in our 2005 Honda Accord and buy a new Toyota RAV4. We offered $25K plus our Honda. They just talked for about 5 minutes, so we got up and started to leave. Then they said they would accept our offer.

We wrote them a check for $25K and drove the new car home.

Yes, it really was that simple.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
The most important thing is to choose the kind of car you truly want to own.

Then compute the out-the door price you are willing to pay.

Go to a dealer that has the car you want to buy and offer your price.

If they do not accept your price after ten minutes, leave.

For example, last year we wanted to trade in our 2005 Honda Accord and buy a new Toyota RAV4. We offered $25K plus our Honda. They just talked for about 5 minutes, so we got up and started to leave. Then they said they would accept our offer.

We wrote them a check for $25K and drove the new car home.

Yes, it really was that simple.
I agree. It is that simple. I have done it several times. You just need to be willing to walk out the door.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:34 AM
John41

When the salesman says he has to check with his manager about your offer do not say anything about how much you love the car. Those cubicles the salesmen sit in are bugged and they hear every word you say.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
When the salesman says he has to check with his manager about your offer do not say anything about how much you love the car. Those cubicles the salesmen sit in are bugged and they hear every word you say.
Yes, they can bugged, but I never go into their cubicle. I stay in the lobby.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. It is that simple. I have done it several times. You just need to be willing to walk out the door.
A couple times they said they would accept our offer when we got up from our chair and grabbed our coats.

Another time they followed us out to the parking lot, and another time we got in our car and started driving away before they said our offer was accepted.

Of course, other times we got in our car and drove away and they did nothing. That proved to us that our offer was too low, so we went to another dealer and offered $100 more. Of course, that was in Virginia where there were six Honda dealers near us. It is different here in The Villages.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:28 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I will add, if you ever drop your beware radar because the salesman seems honest, that just cost you an additional 1000. Car sales staff’s job is to do or say whatever it takes to get every penny they can out of you.
Sorta like buying a house in TV
Closed Thread

Tags
car, buying, advice, page, created

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.