The car dealers!!!

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2019, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Where is Ed Morse Cadillac located? Does"Da Family" also own a car dealership? :>
101 E Fletcher Ave Tampa, FL 33612 Got that in 0.60 seconds on Google.

Guess it's Da with some and Duh! with others......
Old 10-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Sage

Nowadays, aren’t there ways to get a known good price? Just a reasonable amount over MSRP?

I guess I’m talking about services that in effect give you kind of a Carmax type service except for new cars. Don’t those services exist?
Old 10-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Nowadays, aren’t there ways to get a known good price? Just a reasonable amount over MSRP?

I guess I’m talking about services that in effect give you kind of a Carmax type service except for new cars. Don’t those services exist?
I always go to KBB.com first (Kelly Blue Book). They will tell you what you should pay and what your trade is worth. The $24,200 I paid was actually less than what they said I should pay for my new Kona.

In 2013 I bought a Hyundai Veloster Turbo and went to KBB and even though I had read on message boards the new Veloster Turbo was selling for a $1,000 above list because only 700 were coming into country. Sort of like when Mazda Miata first came out. It said the $23,925 MSRP that I should pay $22,600 and my Mazda 3 Grand Touring was worth $16,600 on trade.

Next step is to go to autotrader.com and go to advanced search. Type in the distance away, I usually select 75 miles, which will include Orlando, Winter Park, Tampa and St. Pete Dealers. Then the car you want, new or used, and the options and colors. Then you're selections will come up. On the Veloster I called the dealer, Red Hoagland Hyundai of Winter Haven and spoke with the internet salesman. He took the phone out to the car and asked what questions I might have. Then I told him to hold the car for two hours while I get there.

After I met the internet salesman and drove the car. I said, I'll give you $22,600 and I want $16,600 for my trade. He walked into the manager's office and a minute later said I had a deal.

The Villages Florida

I did the same thing two years ago when I wanted a 2017 50th Anniversary Camaro but didn't want to pay the MSRP of $39,500, KBB said I should pay $34,500. I found one on autotrader at North Orlando Audi with just over a 1,000 miles for less than $29,000, it was just like new.

The Villages Florida
Old 10-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
First Rule: stay away from Jenkins. They have an $899 dealer fee, find a dealer that doesn't have fees. I used yelp.com, typed in the brand looked for dealers with 4 or 5 stars and good reviews.

Last year I bought a new 2018 Hyundai Kona, I went to Jenkins of Leesburg because they advertised a lime green one in stock. When I got there, they didn't have it or know when it would arrive. They said when they received paperwork that they are on order, they'll starting listing it.

I drove at a gray Kona and sat down with the salesman and the sales manager. They gave me $24,500 for my trade and wanted $3300 plus my car. I said, let me check around.

I read the good reviews from Hyundai of Central Florida in Clermont, and saw no dealer fees on their website. I went there next and they had 33 Konas in stock. Jenkins had about 10. They only offered $24,000 for my trade but only wanted $24,200 for the Limited Edition that I wanted. So my car and $200, that's $3100 cheaper than Jenkins.

Normally I say, stay away from dealers with dealer fees. However, I know a person who liked the Kona but waited until the end of the year and got new one for $2400 less than I paid at Holler Hyundai n Winter Park. Even though they paid a dealer fee, the base selling price was much lower due to 2019's were arriving.

The Villages Florida
Please Explain how you got out of dealer only paying 200 buck and in new car! I NEVER found dealer that didn’t make at least 2 to 3K or more on trade in or they wouldn’t trade.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:

IMO MSRP is till over by 3K or more?
Old 10-07-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Please Explain how you got out of dealer only paying 200 buck and in new car! I NEVER found dealer that didn’t make at least 2 to 3K or more on trade in or they wouldn’t trade.
Actually sales tax, title and tags were $200, so $200 plus $200 (difference in trade and sales price) I wrote a check for $400 and out the door I went. How they made money, my car went on the market for $29,900 on their used car lot. They made their profit on the trade. However, if I walked in with $24,200 in cash, I could of still bought the car, however sales tax would of be 7% of the entire price instead of the difference, otherwise that was the price of the car. It pays to shop around, at Jenkins my trade was worth $24,500 plus $3800, so their sales price was $28,300, quite a difference between dealers. Actually I've seen commercials lately that KBB and Autotrader are working hand-in-hand, so you might only need to go to the autotrader.

Autotrader Home

KBB Kelly Blue Book

Here's an example of the opposite. In 1985 I bought a new Honda CRX for $8800, I traded in a 1981 Corvette and they gave me $11,800 for my car. So I actually got the new Honda and a check for $3,000.

Last edited by John_W; 10-07-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:17 PM

This past July I walked into an Ocala dealership at 4PM on the last day of the month. Received the "retail" KBB value for my trade-in and 9.5K off the MSRP on the sale.
The dealer offered my trade-in for sale at $350 more than I was given. It sat for 2 months after which they dropped the price $500.
I suppose the sales manager needed my sale to make his number for the month.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
Old 10-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO MSRP is till over by 3K or more?
Oh man. My bad!!! I'm going to back and edit my post. I meant just a little over invoice price...not MSRP!!
Old 10-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:

First time I've ever quoted myself, but I have to correct a really gross error!! I did not mean a good price is "a reasonable amount over MSRP"! I meant a reasonable amount over the invoice price.

Duh.

So I ask again...are there ways (like something similar to a CarMax, only for new cars) to get a price just a bit over the invoice price for a new car?
Old 10-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Oh man. My bad!!! I'm going to back and edit my post. I meant just a little over invoice price...not MSRP!!
I don't even look at the "invoice" document that dealers provide. It is a totally bogus document designed to trick customers. I understand that dealers make money by earning incentives offered by the manufacturer for selling a set number of cars within a specific period of time. So, even the dealer doesn't know his actual cost for a specific car. KBB.com and Edmunds.com are two pretty good sources to calculate the fair value for a new car and the trade in. Neither of these web sites include anything for dealer prep or other bogus dealer fees or add-ons. I think, as a rough estimate, most cars can be purchased for about 3 to 5 percent less than the MSRP. But, make sure you verify the current rebates offered by the manufacturer, because the rebates effectively reduce the published MSRP. Some dealers will not tell you about the rebate until you have agreed to an out-the-door price, and then the rebate shows up on the sales contract. But, it doesn't reduce your price because you have already agreed to pay a specific amount.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 10-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:47 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Don't forget the holdback! Dealer holdback Definition | Bankrate.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-08-2019, 01:48 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Keep in mind, dealers of cars, or drug dealers are very similar in that they both want as much of your money as they can get. One difference, is that ripping you off, is legal for car salesmen. Dealers have a month end bonus for the salesmen that has the highest profit on a single deal. Unlike many of the bonus categories, this one gets ues and wow’s and if it’s a record breaking ripoff, laughter and applause.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

My theory as it applied in the NJ/NY metro area was that if you walk into a dealer with a prince in hand, even if well investigated and they accept it you’re usually paying too much.

Also I would never mention a trade until I got the final price on the vehicle I am buying. Then I follow with my trade. That way you know exactly what you are getting for your vehicle. Otherwise there is no way to actually know. They play games with trade prices and vehicle prices combined.

Of course things down here in the boonies are likely different. Up north the sales volume and competition between highway dealerships 2 blocks apart is crazy. Here you sometimes have to drive 50 miles between competing dealers and they know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
car, $2, 000, asked, day, dealer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.