Car Dealers

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2021, 08:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Car Dealers

Seeing posts on car dealers, prompted me to do this post.

My opinion is that if you can afford to buy a new vehicle, now is the time to do it.

Reason #1
Computer chips that are needed for automobiles are in extremely short supply, and may cause manufacturers to shut some of their plants down,

Reason #2
And probably the most important one is that the U.S. dollar is going to inflate more than it's ever done before, and is going to be worth a lot less in the next year or two. Uncle Sam printed more money last year than all the years they've been printing since the U.S. Mint was established. If you wait a year or two, the car you would like to have will most likely be priced out of reach for you because the sticker prices are going to go sky high. So if you can afford a new vehicle, do it now. Because no matter how high the inflation goes, your monthly loan payment will be at today's dollar amount and won't be affected by the dollar devaluation.

Just my two cents, because next year it'll be just my five cents.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Agree

I agree that we will have inflation that is almost if not out of control, the market will take a big hit. As a point some think the Market growing really fast, etc is wonderful. It is for the traders who get in and knows when to run. The worst Market to have is one that is unstable up or down. That is what we are now having. To get an early idea as to where and when we are going a good rough source to look at is housing starts in the US. There are a number of bench marks to watch and this is a skinny down list of things to watch for!
By far just a couple of the many that should be watched!
Old 04-18-2021, 09:25 AM

Hold on tight. It's going to be a bumpy ride!
Old 04-18-2021, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post

My opinion is that if you can afford to buy a new vehicle, now is the time to do it.

Reason #1
Computer chips that are needed for automobiles are in extremely short supply, and may cause manufacturers to shut some of their plants down,

Reason #2
And probably the most important one is that the U.S. dollar is going to inflate more than it's ever done before, and is going to be worth a lot less in the next year or two. Uncle Sam printed more money last year than all the years they've been printing since the U.S. Mint was established. If you wait a year or two, the car you would like to have will most likely be priced out of reach for you because the sticker prices are going to go sky high. So if you can afford a new vehicle, do it now. Because no matter how high the inflation goes, your monthly loan payment will be at today's dollar amount and won't be affected by the dollar devaluation.

If I was younger, I would buy a couple of popular cars with gas engines and put them in long term storage. In 15 or 20 years they will be worth a small fortune when the internal combustion engine is phased out of production. But at my age, I am not waiting that long to get returns on my investments.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:10 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default So how much is your...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
If I was younger, I would buy a couple of popular cars with gas engines and put them in long term storage. In 15 or 20 years they will be worth a small fortune when the internal combustion engine is phased out of production. But at my age, I am not waiting that long to get returns on my investments.
steam powered car worth now? All the rubber and cork gaskets will need replacing as well as many hoses will be also. Nah...bad investment.

Buy, if affordable, use for 10 years....trade for crap and start again. Eventually you won't be allowed to drive...problem solved.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default So you must be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I agree that we will have inflation that is almost if not out of control, the market will take a big hit. As a point some think the Market growing really fast, etc is wonderful. It is for the traders who get in and knows when to run. The worst Market to have is one that is unstable up or down. That is what we are now having. To get an early idea as to where and when we are going a good rough source to look at is housing starts in the US. There are a number of bench marks to watch and this is a skinny down list of things to watch for!
By far just a couple of the many that should be watched!
filthy rich many times over.... if you're so sure...
Old 04-18-2021, 07:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

I don't understand why retired people would buy a brand new car and finance it. Why not buy something that doesn't have to be financed? Or at least don't flush 10-15K down the drain by buying new.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
I don't understand why retired people would buy a brand new car and finance it. Why not buy something that doesn't have to be financed? Or at least don't flush 10-15K down the drain by buying new.
In 2009, I bought two brand new vehicles. I am positive that both of those Toyota manufactured vehicles will outlive me, but heaven help me, I'm getting the itch again. Maybe just one new one would be OK. Look at all the money that we've saved from not dining out and not cruising or travelling during the pandemic.

Yeah... that's what I'll tell her. Wish me luck.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:11 AM
Veteran member

I feel the same way, but I buy used two or three years old and we don't put on more than 5 or 6,000 miles a year so both cars still look practically brand new. Like you say it's an itch. But in reality you can convince her by saying look at all the new safety equipment, rear cameras, Lane change avoidance Superior cruise control etc and honey it'll smell like a new car for at least a month
Old 04-19-2021, 05:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Only time I have had a new car is when it was supplied with job.
Never bought a new car in my life.
We have a 20% tax on new cars in UK.
Can't bare the thought of losing that amount of money just by driving out of a showroom.
1 or 2 years old, low mileage, pristine condition, no tax, suits me!
After all, it's only a means of getting from A to B.
Unless you are like my younger brother, where , "It's how you are seen getting from A to B that counts!
Personally I don' give a $%&(, as long as I get there!!

PS. You can by the new car smell in a spray can.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

Instead of buying a new car, look at some of the rental agencies sales cars. All with low mileage and much better pricing than a dealer.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:38 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

I ordered my new car in January, took delivery 2 weeks ago. When ordering there were certain options not available because of lack of parts.

Glad I bought now. I believe our dollar will take a real beating over the next 2 years. Appears someone is trying to destroy our economy.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

A little bit alarmist, but a decent suggestion. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to figure out why high inflation is expected? Few would disagree that it’s not the result of the runaway increase in federal deficit spending and increases in the national debt. The national debt increased during the term of our 45th by about the same amount as the 44th, even though one was an eight-year term and most recently only four. Now the economic stimulus enacted under 46 surely won’t slow spending growth.

Like you said—expect runaway inflation in the next few years.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post

Reason #1

Reason #2

I agree now is the time to buy. Bought a brand new Lincoln with all the bells and whistles on a 3-year lease with zero interest. We went to Ocala - do not buy in the Villages. Looming in the background is inflation as a result of all this COVID money being generated out of thin air.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:29 AM
Default The dollar

As of today 4/19
Your Dollar is Worth 91.09 cent.
1 Year ago it was worth over $1.01
Closed Thread

Tags
year, car, dollar, dealers, high

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.