Car insurance with umbrella policy

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Default Car insurance with umbrella policy

We are from New Jersey with the highest rates in the USA, just published last week. I have received two quotes from insurance companies in Florida and they are both 25% higher then New Jersey. I didn't expect savings but thought it would be the same at least. I will try to bundle home, auto and umbrella to see if that helps. Any ideas from others would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
We are from New Jersey with the highest rates in the USA, just published last week. I have received two quotes from insurance companies in Florida and they are both 25% higher then New Jersey. I didn't expect savings but thought it would be the same at least. I will try to bundle home, auto and umbrella to see if that helps. Any ideas from others would be appreciated.
Apparently the results need to be republished as NJ is really not the highest anymore...

Try Thomas Insurance in Fruitland Park on Hwy 441. We had to switch to Royal Arc on home and stayed with State Farm on auto. Cannot stack coverages like uninsured drivers on more than one vehicle here if that applies..which makes it higher automatically.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:07 PM

When we moved here from MA we were really surprised that the cost of our auto insurance almost doubled! Granted, we lived in a fairly rural area up there, but the prices here are absurd. I tried everything I could think of to get the cost down, but nothing seemed to work. We got quotes from multiple companies and the cost was within a few dollars. Good luck, and if you find a good way to lower the cost please come back and post how you did it.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

I pay 180.00 for 6 months no umbrella so I guess I'll get wet. Full coverage also.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:58 PM

What inusrance company for $180.00
Old 04-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
I pay 180.00 for 6 months no umbrella so I guess I'll get wet. Full coverage also.
Better reconsider that umbrella policy for at least one million dollars. If you have a judgement against you that is more than the $300,000 of your car policy, you could loose absolutely everything.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think I had a good rate in NJ. About 10% cheaper (AAA) in Fl. But I have under-insured insurance and I do not know if I had it in Nj. Unfortunately I got to use the under-insured ins.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton18 View Post
What inusrance company for $180.00
What coverage levels for $180.00?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the posts. We are from upstate NY and are experiencing the same. One Florida advantage is if you leave a car here and are gone more than 30 days you can reduce the coverage to "away" and save a lot for the period you are gone. Be sure to call before you use it again. Am considering reducing/eliminating our umbrella but are leery. Florida protects your home and retirement but non-retirement assets are vulnerable to a lawsuit.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

An agent explained to me that FL is high because they have the highest rate of uninsured drivers in the country. NJ is high because they have the highest incidence of insurance fraud in the country.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:48 AM

I use Geico for my cars in NY and Fl. I also have an umbrella policy for 2 Million with them that covers both FL and NY residences.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Progressive
Old 04-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
An agent explained to me that FL is high because they have the highest rate of uninsured drivers in the country. NJ is high because they have the highest incidence of insurance fraud in the country.
Hi spring-chicken: Florida is no slouch when it comes to fraud. Like New Jersey Florida insurers threatened to leave the state if the governor didn't give them what they wanted. secondly homeowners insurers are subsidizing those who live on the coast. It is going to take political courage to tell those folks that if you choose to live close to the water you deal with the risk but they won't

I was refused homeowners with State farm when I first arrived but a year later they opened up. I have all of my insurance with them not because of better pricing but because of the coverages provided and the claim service should there be a need which I hope never arises.

Insurance policies change continually so its good to stay attuned to the market.

I was an insurance guy with CPCU, CLU credentials and what it taught me was never assume and don't just shop price

An umbrella is a wise choice
Old 04-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
I use Geico for my cars in NY and Fl. I also have an umbrella policy for 2 Million with them that covers both FL and NY residences.
My Gieco for the car in Florida is only $25 different than it was in Seattle for 6 months.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
My Gieco for the car in Florida is only $25 different than it was in Seattle for 6 months.
I pay $720 a year in Fl. Same car in Long Island was $1,050.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.