Caught in a lie. Brian Williams

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Remember the panic of the Orson Wells broadcast War of the Worlds.

"But in the end, there was no massive panic and the spike in calls to the police is one of the few bits of evidence we have that at least a small percentage of the listeners had concerns or complaints over the broadcast. Quite simply, newspapers created the “panic” after the fact (including U.S. newspapers writing nearly 13,000 articles on it over the next month), the public swallowed up the newspaper’s reports, and radio and CBS particularly were happy to embrace the claims as a demonstration of the power of the new medium, which was good for advertising dollars and ratings."

Who knows whats true? Who knows who is pulling the strings?

I heard an NPR show that I can't find. The Doctor was saying if you lie to a child when they are five 3 times it gets recorded in their memory. The example he used was telling a child if they remember the scary clown that visited the class. The first time the child is asked they say no, the second time they say maybe and the third time they remember. He said that's it not unusual that people see the same event and remember it differently.

And some people lie, especially if it's in their best interest.

nothing new
Not sure I understand this post. You are comparing a radio fictional show to a newscaster, who recently became number 1 and is charged with REPORTING NEWS ??????

And you say "nothing new". What other NEWS BROADCASTER can you share that has lied ?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Not sure I understand this post. You are comparing a radio fictional show to a newscaster, who recently became number 1 and is charged with REPORTING NEWS ??????

And you say "nothing new". What other NEWS BROADCASTER can you share that has lied ?
After the show the newspapers and radio news broadcast made the point that this fictional story caused real panic when it did not. That's the lie.

I don't have any broadcasters to share with you. Therefore he must be the only one that ever lied.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:17 PM

I assume there was once a time when journalists were impartial and genuinely wanted to tell the truth. These days, news readers on the networks and cable news outlets are paid so much money that it becomes much more about personality than it does about journalistic integrity. These guys and gals have to become self-promoters in order to get the best jobs. I wonder if this didn't have something to do with Williams' twisting of the facts.

He's got to go but I suspect they'll never find a truly impartial and honest replacement. NBC may not even want to find a real journalist...too much money involved. Maybe we'll see a Kardashian behind the news desk one of these days.

About the only thing we can do is access as many news sources as possible and then try to sift through it all to find the truth.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post
He screwed up and it will cost him his career. Believe me, if he had come under fire he would have remembered it and the evasive maneuvers the chopper would take.!
To me he was very likeable even though I didn't agree with his liberal views. It was reported today that he was making 10 million per year so he won't be visiting food kitchens if he get dumped which I think he should.
If not, how can he have any credibility with viewers that know he lied several times not to mention the ones that were not caught?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

In what venue did Williams tell his story? Rather told his on his news show. Where did Williams tell his? And what exactly did he say, and what according to others was the true story? If a newsman tells a story to the Kiwanis club with embellishment, does that mean that when he is on the air he is not accurately reporting the news? Did CNN report that in fact his helicopter was also fired upon but not the main target of the attack? I have not found those details and wish someone would post them here
Old 02-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
In what venue did Williams tell his story? Rather told his on his news show. Where did Williams tell his? And what exactly did he say, and what according to others was the true story? If a newsman tells a story to the Kiwanis club with embellishment, does that mean that when he is on the air he is not accurately reporting the news? Did CNN report that in fact his helicopter was also fired upon but not the main target of the attack? I have not found those details and wish someone would post them here
Timeline in this link and if you google Brian Williams you will get pages and pages of stories and links

How Brian Williams' Iraq story changed - Feb. 5, 2015
Old 02-08-2015, 07:11 PM

Gabriel Heater and the News! The real McCoy (ahh, Heater)
Old 02-08-2015, 07:14 PM

And this guy gets paid millions not to be "misremembering! Kind of makes you lose faith in all of these newscasters who are nothing more than actors, paid to look good.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
After the show the newspapers and radio news broadcast made the point that this fictional story caused real panic when it did not. That's the lie.

I don't have any broadcasters to share with you. Therefore he must be the only one that ever lied.
I dont know....but will share a few things...

from Wiki...

"Producer John Houseman noticed that at about 8:32 p.m. ET, CBS supervisor Davidson Taylor received a telephone call in the control room. Creasing his lips, Taylor left the studio and returned four minutes later, "pale as death". He had been ordered to interrupt "The War of the Worlds" broadcast immediately with an announcement of the program's fictional content, but by that time actor Ray Collins was choking on the roof of Broadcasting Building and the break was less than a minute away. During the sign-off theme the phone began ringing. Houseman picked it up and the furious caller announced he was mayor of a Midwestern town where mobs were in the streets. Houseman hung up quickly: "For we were off the air now and the studio door had burst open."[3]:404

The following hours were a nightmare. The building was suddenly full of people and dark-blue uniforms. Hustled out of the studio, we were locked into a small back office on another floor. Here we sat incommunicado while network employees were busily collecting, destroying or locking up all scripts and records of the broadcast. Finally the Press was let loose upon us, ravening for horror. How many deaths had we heard of? (Implying they knew of thousands.) What did we know of the fatal stampede in a Jersey hall? (Implying it was one of many.) What traffic deaths? (The ditches must be choked with corpses.) The suicides? (Haven't you heard about the one on Riverside Drive?) It is all quite vague in my memory and quite terrible.[3]:404

Paul White, head of CBS News, was quickly summoned to the office — "and there bedlam reigned", he wrote:

The telephone switchboard, a vast sea of light, could handle only a fraction of incoming calls. The haggard Welles sat alone and despondent. "I'm through," he lamented, "washed up." I didn't bother to reply to this highly inaccurate self-appraisal. I was too busy writing explanations to put on the air, reassuring the audience that it was safe. I also answered my share of incessant telephone calls, many of them from as far away as the Pacific Coast.[21]:47–48

The War of the Worlds (radio drama) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen a few places..that rag Slate for one...who just need to vent on everything who question everything BUT

Bottom line is that in my opinion, there is NO...NONE relationship. The Williams story is important as it it REAL, not some fictional story. This is a man responsible to deliver NEWS to the nation.....REAL NEWS, and the on thing that is a model for that person is to be trusted. Once the public does not trust you, it is over.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I like Brian Williams. Truth be known, WE ALL HAVE A SKELETON (we've all lied about something, haven't we?) IN THE CLOSET. Those that are wanting to tar and feather him, quit riding your high horses and take a chill pill. His lie was a little bit more high profile than yours, but, when it comes down to it, it was just a lie.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Sage

An important and well written take on this Williams story, perhaps underscorin the seriousness of it versus something like a fictional soap opera...

"The role of the network news anchor has changed dramatically over the years.

Walter Cronkite was known as the most-trusted man in America when he presided over the "CBS Evening News." In the 1987 film "Broadcast News," Jack Nicholson played a network anchor who strode around a Washington, D.C. station like a colossus, almost a deity, and the portrayal was considered both funny and accurate by those in the news business.

Without question, the influence of the network anchors has waned over the years, with the fragmentation of news delivery. Fewer people wait for the anchors to read the news (though millions still do – just fewer millions). Why wait when you can get the latest headlines on your phone or laptop? We get the news we want now, or whenever we want it. To a growing number of people, waiting for the nightly news is so old-school as to be archaic.

Yet the one thing mainstream media, a term used with increasing derision, has been able to count on is credibility. Sure, we may not get it first, goes the argument, and it may not be as flashy, but we spend the time to make sure it is accurate. Implicit in this is a suggestion that news delivered by other sources is less reliable. Now Williams, in shooting himself in the foot with fabrications, opens the door to criticism that no media can be trusted.

It's a stunning development, really.

Brian Williams: How bad -- and how important -- is this?
Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
It actually makes no difference to me if he said his helicopter got hit or not. We all have to take the television news with a grain of salt. He was trying to make it seem that his network went that extra step.

Brian Williams is not the first news anchor to fabricate sidebars to actuality nor will he be the last.

Google and you can see how Meagan Kelley and Sean Hannity have both been caught stretching the facts.

And his employer has been known to go the 'extra step' and distort news coverage. Doesn't say much for NBC: Zimmerman, Martin, the Pledge of Allegiance, the Offerman ad, blaming Israel for a strike on the Gaza Strip. Did anyone lose their job over any of those incidents?

Old 02-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
I like Brian Williams. Truth be known, WE ALL HAVE A SKELETON (we've all lied about something, haven't we?) IN THE CLOSET. Those that are wanting to tar and feather him, quit riding your high horses and take a chill pill. His lie was a little bit more high profile than yours, but, when it comes down to it, it was just a lie.

It is foolish to lie, when the truth will serve you.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
So, is lying acceptable - white lie or not?

Meet my horse - his name is 'High'

Old 02-09-2015, 12:20 AM

I believe Brian was stretching the truth to emphasize the seriousness of the situations he was reporting on, not to make himself look good. This is a non issue for me. There's always plenty of people just waiting to bring someone down when they are at the top.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.