Caught in a lie. Brian Williams

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Proof positive!
Good one. Too bad Lincoln didn't dodge, a bullet.

I think this episode will permanently damage his credibility. I hope this doesn't bring an end to his career as a news anchor, but I think it will.

Give me the days of Walter Cronkite, who always the news was more important than him.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is foolish to lie, when the truth will serve you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
So, is lying acceptable - white lie or not?

Meet my horse - his name is 'High'
It is foolish to lie, GG, and no, lying is not acceptable, njbchbum, but EVERYBODY has done it one time or another.

As a Law Enforcement Officer, I was (and most LEO's will agree) lied to everyday. Did I call them a liar? Nope, just kept writing the citation and if it was contested in court, I told the truth about why the ticket was written; funny thing, people usually had a way of hanging themselves in court.

Everyone wants to be #1 in news broadcasting; Brian Williams just went about it the wrong way. Was it wrong? Yes. Should he be fired? No, maybe suspended for a while but not fired.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
It is foolish to lie, GG, and no, lying is not acceptable, njbchbum, but EVERYBODY has done it one time or another.

As a Law Enforcement Officer, I was (and most LEO's will agree) lied to everyday. Did I call them a liar? Nope, just kept writing the citation and if it was contested in court, I told the truth about why the ticket was written; funny thing, people usually had a way of hanging themselves in court.

Everyone wants to be #1 in news broadcasting; Brian Williams just went about it the wrong way. Was it wrong? Yes. Should he be fired? No, maybe suspended for a while but not fired.

My point was that Brian Williams didn't have to make up ANYTHING to be well liked and secure in his position.

And of course at the age of 75 I am well aware of people's behavior and my own.

But when you are in the news reporting business you are expected to speak the truth to the public.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
My point was that Brian Williams didn't have to make up ANYTHING to be well liked and secure in his position.

And of course at the age of 75 I am well aware of people's behavior and my own.

But when you are in the news reporting business you are expected to speak the truth to the public.
Agree. I will not be surprised if he "decides to resign."
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Gold member

I don't see why people put these news readers on such a high pedestal in the first place.

It's not like they are making decisions in the Oval Office or anything. And they are paid a lot more than the President.

To me they are much ado about nothing.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Say what you will, and I for one am grateful for the new transparency...but say what you will about Fox News, it is number one, again and again and again. And this was on Huff post. Somehow it makes me feel better than if MSNBC were number one...what they say usually makes me upset, although I don't agree with everything Fox says either.

Fox News Dominates Cable News Ratings In 2014; MSNBC Tumbles
Gracie, I am not defending Brian Williams or NBC. But the article you reference is only referring to cable news. FOX News has about 1.5 million viewers. NBC. Nightly news has 9.something viewers.

Of course, makes BW's falsehood even worse. IMO none of them are all that trustworthy.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Sage

Another thing about NBC Nightly News... They were first to announce (erroneously) that the Paris terrorists had been caught and killed, while CNN refused to go with that bit of info because they couldn't confirm it. BW later had to come on and apologize for it. Of course, they kicked the blame over to their "trusted" informant.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
. Was it wrong? Yes. Should he be fired? No, maybe suspended for a while but not fired.
In some business yes, but reporting the news on national TV? How can I ever trust him again? Why tune in to watch him when I don't know if it is fact or his version of the truth?
Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Was anybody ever fired for the "No Go Zones" stories that had to be retracted many time by Fox? If not, one can only surmise that misleading is the way they do business. And this just happened last month, not 12 years ago. As I recall, Fox was being sued by France for reporting this bogus story.
Me thinks your bias is showing by speaking ONLY of Fox...

"CNN host Anderson Cooper apologized on Wednesday for factually inaccurate segments that mentioned so-called no-go zones, or areas in European cities that are off limits to non-Muslims.

It was an ironic twist considering CNN had landed -- and touted -- an exclusive interview in which Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo told the network she planned to sue Fox News for its inaccurate reports on the supposed no-go zones.

“On Monday night on this program, we aired a report that was critical of Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and Fox News for continually saying that there were ‘no-go zones’ in England and elsewhere,” Cooper said. “I think if you’re going to point fingers at others’ mistakes, you should also acknowledge your own mistakes, and we didn’t do that on the program."

“In the wave of the Paris attacks, several guests on this program mentioned ‘no-go zones’ in France,” Cooper continued. “I didn’t challenge them and twice referred to them as well. I should have been more skeptical, I won't make the same mistake again."

CNN apologizes for 'no-go zones' segments - POLITICO.com
Old 02-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Sage

I didn't know who he was. I don't watch TV channels for the news.
click here for Wikipedia
It says he only completed 18 credits in college. That's quite a career, 10 million a year, for 18 credits. People are looking at other stories he may have embellished or made up.

It seems to me that the stories he made up or embellished did not seem different than all of the other stories going on at the time in the same location. I agree, he didn't need to lie. I wonder if that's what you need to do to get ahead in that business.

For example he reported he saw a dead body floating in the water when in all likelihood he did not. I think we all saw dead bodies floating when Katrina hit that was recorded and played on the news. He just didn't see it first hand. That doesn't change what's upsetting. It's not a testimony to a murder.

just some random thoughts
not to be taken too seriously
Old 02-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Sage

Look up Peter Jennings. He only got a GED. Not defending either one, but there are lots of productive people who didn't go to college, and some who didn't finish high school.

My friend's son is one. Brilliantly successful salesman whose knowledge of mechanics led him into his job. Has a GED only.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Look up Peter Jennings. He only got a GED. Not defending either one, but there are lots of productive people who didn't go to college, and some who didn't finish high school.

My friend's son is one. Brilliantly successful salesman whose knowledge of mechanics led him into his job. Has a GED only.
His education or lack thereof means nothing to this story...not one single thing
Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Was anybody ever fired for the "No Go Zones" stories that had to be retracted many time by Fox? If not, one can only surmise that misleading is the way they do business. And this just happened last month, not 12 years ago. As I recall, Fox was being sued by France for reporting this bogus story.
Please be aware - the Mayor THREATENED to sue. An internet search does not reveal that she followed through with her threat.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

I agree wholeheartedly. I know and admire the same kind of people. They're what made America great.

But I still think these guys are highly over-rated empty suits, NOT worth pay in the millions per year--more than even what the President makes.

I was referring to Williams' connection to the Carter administration. The connections matter.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
I don't see why people put these news readers on such a high pedestal in the first place.

It's not like they are making decisions in the Oval Office or anything. And they are paid a lot more than the President.

To me they are much ado about nothing.
Actually it much ado about something. Do you have any idea how many people watch these news people and believe what they say without question? And have gone so low in our society that we no longer demand the best of those we put in positions of authority and power. Never mind, I just answered my own question.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.