CDC revises numbers, Fauci changes tone

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2020, 05:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default CDC revises numbers, Fauci changes tone

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) nows estimates that 35 percent of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.

But that’s not even the most important part of their latest estimates. It’s the CDC’s new “best estimate” for the case fatality rate amongst symptomatic patients.

0-49 years old: .05%
50-64 years old: .2%
65+ years old: 1.3%
Overall ages: .4%

According to the CDC’s current best estimate, the case fatality rate of the coronavirus is .4 percent. And that’s just amongst symptomatic cases, which, the CDC estimates, is 65 percent of all cases. This means the CDC estimates that the fatality rate for all infections across all age groups, symptomatic as well as asymptomatic, is approximately .26 percent.

Back in March, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimated a 3.4 percent fatality rate and Dr. Anthony Fauci estimated that the fatality rate of the coronavirus was about 2 percent.

Somebody else said this "I think that that number is very high. I think the number, personally, I would say the number is way under 1 percent"

COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios | CDC

In contrast to his recent rather gloomy Senate testimony, Dr Fauci now says this

Dr. Anthony Fauci says staying closed for too long could cause ‘irreparable damage’

Stay-at-home orders intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus could end up causing “irreparable damage” if imposed for too long, White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said.

“I don’t want people to think that any of us feel that staying locked down for a prolonged period of time is the way to go,” he told CNBC.

Coronavirus: Dr. Anthony Fauci says staying closed for too long could cause '''irreparable damage'''

In a separate interview with NPR earlier in the day, Fauci said it was “conceivable” that the U.S. could begin to roll out a coronavirus vaccine by December.

He told CNBC that biotech firm Moderna’s vaccine data, released earlier this week, was very encouraging.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

More and more wondering why the hell did they shut down the entire economy.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
We aren't alone on this planet. Other countries did as well. It will take a great deal of numbers crunching, AFTER we find out how m any people actually had the virus, to really figure this whole thing out. We cannot forget these numbers;

Over 93,000 people died since the middle of March this year from Covid-19 in this country.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
To be fair, not everything was known when this started, still isn't.

Fauci started out saying it was a miniscule risk, nothing to worry about. Then he overcompensated when it got more serious and they started to believe those catastrophically wrong models. Now, with these new lower numbers, he's seeing it's not quite so bad, death rate is much lower, and that waiting for a vaccine to ease lockdowns will crush the whole country.

It's probably time for him to retire, there are younger and smarter epidemiologists out there who are more up to date on viruses and pandemics. With hindsight, the whole lockdown the country was probably a bad idea, a less destructive plan would have told seniors to lockdown and isolate, provide PPE gear to all nursing home personnel, and remove covid 19 positives from nursing homes immediately. Let the rest of the country keep working with some precautions.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We aren't alone on this planet. Other countries did as well. It will take a great deal of numbers crunching, AFTER we find out how m any people actually had the virus, to really figure this whole thing out. We cannot forget these numbers;

Over 93,000 people died since the middle of March this year from Covid-19 in this country.
Yes, 93,000 is bad but nowhere near as bad as 2,200,000 the model they were using projected when they panicked and shut down the country. The new overall death rate of 0.26 is evidence that a worldwide economic shutdown was an over reaction. They could have just told seniors to self isolate and protected nursing homes better and the death totals would have been less than yearly flu deaths.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Yes, 93,000 is bad but nowhere near as bad as 2,200,000 the model they were using projected when they panicked and shut down the country. The new overall death rate of 0.26 is evidence that a worldwide economic shutdown was an over reaction. They could have just told seniors to self isolate and protected nursing homes better and the death totals would have been less than yearly flu deaths.
We know that NOW, darling.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We know that NOW, darling.
Yes WE do sweetie, thanks to me posting it.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) nows estimates that 35 percent of coronavirus infections are asymptomatic.

But that’s not even the most important part of their latest estimates. It’s the CDC’s new “best estimate” for the case fatality rate amongst symptomatic patients.

0-49 years old: .05%
50-64 years old: .2%
65+ years old: 1.3%
Overall ages: .4%

According to the CDC’s current best estimate, the case fatality rate of the coronavirus is .4 percent. And that’s just amongst symptomatic cases, which, the CDC estimates, is 65 percent of all cases. This means the CDC estimates that the fatality rate for all infections across all age groups, symptomatic as well as asymptomatic, is approximately .26 percent.

Back in March, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimated a 3.4 percent fatality rate and Dr. Anthony Fauci estimated that the fatality rate of the coronavirus was about 2 percent.

Somebody else said this "I think that that number is very high. I think the number, personally, I would say the number is way under 1 percent"

COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios | CDC

In contrast to his recent rather gloomy Senate testimony, Dr Fauci now says this

Dr. Anthony Fauci says staying closed for too long could cause ‘irreparable damage’

Stay-at-home orders intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus could end up causing “irreparable damage” if imposed for too long, White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said.

“I don’t want people to think that any of us feel that staying locked down for a prolonged period of time is the way to go,” he told CNBC.

Coronavirus: Dr. Anthony Fauci says staying closed for too long could cause '''irreparable damage'''

In a separate interview with NPR earlier in the day, Fauci said it was “conceivable” that the U.S. could begin to roll out a coronavirus vaccine by December.

He told CNBC that biotech firm Moderna’s vaccine data, released earlier this week, was very encouraging.
Just last week Dr. Fauci testified before Congress it was doom and gloom.

Now he changed his tune less than a week later.

Unfortunately the damage is done. The mind set now is mild panic.

On top of that the term " Never Let A Crises Go To Waste " ( Rahm Emanuel ) coined that phrase. Some states are still in total lockdown. They have an agenda.

The President's hands are tied to a point. The Attorney General can file a lawsuit to a Federal Judge, to try and force the Governors to cancel the lockdown.

We all know what the USA was doing before Covid-19 hit.

It is an Election Year with that in mind, the gang in Washington are Pro's at playing games.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Can't make the connection between the reduced death total and the actions taken? Hmmmm. Of course everyone would then need to redefine seniors. I'm sure if you were in your 60's (some probably in your 70"s) you would identify as not being a senior. Heck, at 75 I still have trouble with people calling me a senior or vulnerable. We have all heard it before, hindsight is 20/20. It's easy for us to look at where we are and take shots at those that made the decisions to lockdown because we don't shoulder the responsibility. In six months hindsight will again lead the discussion and if those with the responsibility don't make the call that agrees with our bias and agenda, we will call for them to be fired also.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-23-2020, 11:07 AM

the unknown is how bad this could have been without stay at home and distancing. I have heard all along it will be easy to forget the reason for what we were asked to do is to minimize the cases. As far back as the black pleasure people have been staying home and distancing when possible.

Hindsight could go either way. A lot more or some more sick/dying. But either way more!!

I have been lucky enough to not have illness in my family. Ask someone who did. Different response I would think.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Can't make the connection between the reduced death total and the actions taken? Hmmmm. Of course everyone would then need to redefine seniors. I'm sure if you were in your 60's (some probably in your 70"s) you would identify as not being a senior. Heck, at 75 I still have trouble with people calling me a senior or vulnerable. We have all heard it before, hindsight is 20/20. It's easy for us to look at where we are and take shots at those that made the decisions to lockdown because we don't shoulder the responsibility. In six months hindsight will again lead the discussion and if those with the responsibility don't make the call that agrees with our bias and agenda, we will call for them to be fired also.
This is not hindsight for everybody. Meet Dr. Knut M. Wittkowski, PhD, ScD, who headed the Department Biostatistics, Epidemiology & Research Design at Rockefeller University in New York for 20 years. He looked into the claim that people were making that in China and in South Korea, social distancing had successfully helped to control the epidemic. He went through the data and found out that social distancing, isolation and lockdown measures were not put in place until well after the peak of the epidemic in those countries.
This hinted to the idea that herd immunity, not lockdown, was responsible for the already declining number of cases and deaths in those countries.

Dr Wittkowski emphasized that social distancing and lockdown measures were preventing herd immunity in the United States, and as a result there might be a ‘second wave’ that will come not long after lockdown measures ease. Of course, this second wave will mostly likely be attributed to lifting lockdown measures, when, according to Wittkowski, it will be a result of preventing herd immunity due to lockdown measures.

According to Wittkowski, lockdown measures should have never been put in place and isolation and quarantine measures should have only been put into place among the elderly, in long term care facilities and among people who are immune compromised while others ‘work’ to kill the virus by creating herd immunity. According to him, by doing what we have been doing we’re actually putting the elderly, and have put the elderly, in a worse off position.

Sweden is an example of this approach.

Dr Wittkowski was saying this in March, when lockdowns were first being considered. He had a video on all this on YouTube, watched by millions, which was censored and removed by YouTube, no reason given but probably because they thought it was misinformation.

It's pretty sad when one of the few scientists who actually had it right gets censored.

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-23-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Old 05-23-2020, 07:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Just last week Dr. Fauci testified before Congress it was doom and gloom.

Now he changed his tune less than a week later.

Unfortunately the damage is done. The mind set now is mild panic.

On top of that the term " Never Let A Crises Go To Waste " ( Rahm Emanuel ) coined that phrase. Some states are still in total lockdown. They have an agenda.

The President's hands are tied to a point. The Attorney General can file a lawsuit to a Federal Judge, to try and force the Governors to cancel the lockdown.

We all know what the USA was doing before Covid-19 hit.

It is an Election Year with that in mind, the gang in Washington are Pro's at playing games.

Yes, they've got us right where they want us.

It's amazing, the CDC drops the overall death rate to 0.26 and we're asking for permission to get a haircut.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:43 PM
Veteran member

I find it really sad and disturbing that our country is so divided with this crises .

It brings my back memories when I came back from Vietnam. The sheer hatred yes hatred towards not only the Military but the Government.

The Hatred towards our President now and even before he was sworn in is unforgiveable. It really is a disgrace.

Sure President Trump speaks his mind but quite honestly the media should tell the truth, now and then.

It really is a sad situation some should take a page out of World War II about Patriotism .
Old 05-23-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

There does seem to be an attenuating force at work. The CDC published on April 13 that infection by touching a surface or object is not likely, but this information wasn't disseminated very widely for some reason (although I posted here somewhere in hopes that people might worry less).

How Coronavirus Spreads | CDC

Then the CDC reissued this information this past week and sure enough, now it's getting media attention:

Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' on surfaces or objects, CDC says
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ebsite-states/
CDC: Coronavirus ‘does not spread easily’ from contaminated surfaces – BGR

Tags
percent, fauci, rate, fatality, coronavirus

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.