CDC revises numbers, Fauci changes tone

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2020, 07:50 AM

Here is a quote from the man responsible for the eradication of smallpox. He died a few years ago, so he was speaking generally, not in regard to our current situation. Very prescient.

Donald A. Henderson, MD…
“ The interest in quarantine reflects the views and conditions prevalent more than 50 years ago, when much less was known about the epidemiology of infectious diseases and when there was far less international and domestic travel in a less densely populated world.

It is difficult to identify circumstances in the past half-century when large-scale quarantine has been effectively used in the control of any disease. The negative consequences of large-scale quarantine are so extreme (forced confinement of sick people with the well; complete restriction of movement of large populations; difficulty in getting critical supplies, medicines, and food to people inside the quarantine zone) that this mitigation measure should be eliminated from serious consideration.”

- Disease Mitigation Measures in the Control of Pandemic Influenza (2006)
Old 05-24-2020, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
More and more wondering why the hell did they shut down the entire economy.
Still going to be way over 100,000 deaths - anyone you know??

Most estimates in beginning were not expecting us to be as smart and stay at home.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Just last week Dr. Fauci testified before Congress it was doom and gloom.

Now he changed his tune less than a week later.

Unfortunately the damage is done. The mind set now is mild panic.

On top of that the term " Never Let A Crises Go To Waste " ( Rahm Emanuel ) coined that phrase. Some states are still in total lockdown. They have an agenda.

The President's hands are tied to a point. The Attorney General can file a lawsuit to a Federal Judge, to try and force the Governors to cancel the lockdown.

We all know what the USA was doing before Covid-19 hit.

It is an Election Year with that in mind, the gang in Washington are Pro's at playing games.

bingo! could not agree more.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
This is not hindsight for everybody. Meet Dr. Knut M. Wittkowski, PhD, ScD, who headed the Department Biostatistics, Epidemiology & Research Design at Rockefeller University in New York for 20 years. He looked into the claim that people were making that in China and in South Korea, social distancing had successfully helped to control the epidemic. He went through the data and found out that social distancing, isolation and lockdown measures were not put in place until well after the peak of the epidemic in those countries.
This hinted to the idea that herd immunity, not lockdown, was responsible for the already declining number of cases and deaths in those countries.

Dr Wittkowski emphasized that social distancing and lockdown measures were preventing herd immunity in the United States, and as a result there might be a ‘second wave’ that will come not long after lockdown measures ease. Of course, this second wave will mostly likely be attributed to lifting lockdown measures, when, according to Wittkowski, it will be a result of preventing herd immunity due to lockdown measures.

According to Wittkowski, lockdown measures should have never been put in place and isolation and quarantine measures should have only been put into place among the elderly, in long term care facilities and among people who are immune compromised while others ‘work’ to kill the virus by creating herd immunity. According to him, by doing what we have been doing we’re actually putting the elderly, and have put the elderly, in a worse off position.

Sweden is an example of this approach.

Dr Wittkowski was saying this in March, when lockdowns were first being considered. He had a video on all this on YouTube, watched by millions, which was censored and removed by YouTube, no reason given but probably because they thought it was misinformation.

It's pretty sad when one of the few scientists who actually had it right gets censored.
Very interesting thanks for sharing
Old 05-24-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Still going to be way over 100,000 deaths - anyone you know??

Most estimates in beginning were not expecting us to be as smart and stay at home.
Quite a few relatives did come down with the virus but fortunately they all recovered.

How many people were not able to go to the DR and get diagnosed for something that was brewing. How many families were destroyed due to money problems caused by the shutdown.

No easy or simple answer.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:27 AM
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
Quite a few relatives did come down with the virus but fortunately they all recovered.

How many people were not able to go to the DR and get diagnosed for something that was brewing. How many families were destroyed due to money problems caused by the shutdown.

No easy or simple answer.
Not only that - But how many Women, Children and even Men are physical and verbal abused with this long lock down....
- Care to buy another bottle of Rum, the AA is going to be pack after this is over....
Old 05-25-2020, 07:10 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

So much information. Mostly different. What to believe? Just be careful out there.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:28 PM
Default Virus life on Surfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Thank you for the links,
Here is an outstanding question posed on the Washington Post site:

"""We have been told not to be concerned by potential food contamination--what we eat goes into the stomach acid and is killed. But food passes through the mouth.
What is the difference between contaminated fingers in the mouth (might catch the virus) and contaminated food in the mouth (won't catch the virus)?"""

""" if the face, mouth, nose or eyes are touched by contaminated hands, how is the virus able to get into the lungs? """

I wonder if anyone has an answer for this ?
Old 05-25-2020, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Thank you for the links,
Here is an outstanding question posed on the Washington Post site:

"""We have been told not to be concerned by potential food contamination--what we eat goes into the stomach acid and is killed. But food passes through the mouth.
What is the difference between contaminated fingers in the mouth (might catch the virus) and contaminated food in the mouth (won't catch the virus)?"""

""" if the face, mouth, nose or eyes are touched by contaminated hands, how is the virus able to get into the lungs? """

I wonder if anyone has an answer for this ?
Suspose the difference is the virus needs to enter the respiratory system. So as long as you don't enhale your food, the risk is low.

There is an exposure time element also, you need to enhale enough virus to initiate an infection.

I'm wondering is this variability could be why some people don't get very sick vs very sick..

e.g. short exposure time results in more or less a self vaccination...
Old 05-25-2020, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Suspose the difference is the virus needs to enter the respiratory system. So as long as you don't enhale your food, the risk is low.

There is an exposure time element also, you need to enhale enough virus to initiate an infection.

I'm wondering is this variability could be why some people don't get very sick vs very sick..

e.g. short exposure time results in more or less a self vaccination...
These are good questions. I could not find anything on the internet that identifies inhalation only. Has anyone been able to find anything that pinpoints inhalation only?

I agree it doesn't make sense that eating food is never risky but touching your mouth is.

As for the eyes, here's an excellent article that downplays the risk to the eyes.

Can You Catch Coronavirus Through The Eyes? Will Goggles Reduce The Risk? : Goats and Soda : NPR
Old 05-26-2020, 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=LiverpoolWalrus;1771188]These are good questions. I could not find anything on the internet that identifies inhalation only. Has anyone been able to find anything that pinpoints inhalation only?
/QUOTE]

It seems logical that it is only transmitted thru inhalation.
In the beginning, i thought it was transferred by touch, then into your mouth,nose or eyes.

The referenced PBS articles says """But to infect you via your eyes, the virus would have to penetrate your eyes' mucous membrane, be washed by tears behind your cheeks into your nasal cavity, and then flow from the nose into your throat. "It's a more circuitous route," says Steinemann."""
Huh?, Into your throat... so just swallow.

So, do i still need to leave my Amazon packages in the garage for a week before i touch them. Do i still need to unpack my groceries in the garage and wipe them down with clorox wipes?
Something is missing, but i can't figure it out. Can that little germ crawl down my windpipe if i don't swallow fast enough?

Last edited by capecoralbill; 05-26-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Yes WE do sweetie, thanks to me posting it.
FINALLY! Someone posted what needs to be said!
Old 05-26-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
we aren't alone on this planet. Other countries did as well. It will take a great deal of numbers crunching, after we find out how m any people actually had the virus, to really figure this whole thing out. We cannot forget these numbers;

over 93,000 people died since the middle of march this year from covid-19 in this country.
and a lot of those numbers were inaccurately stated as covid-19 deaths
Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
This is not hindsight for everybody. Meet Dr. Knut M. Wittkowski, PhD, ScD, who headed the Department Biostatistics, Epidemiology & Research Design at Rockefeller University in New York for 20 years. He looked into the claim that people were making that in China and in South Korea, social distancing had successfully helped to control the epidemic. He went through the data and found out that social distancing, isolation and lockdown measures were not put in place until well after the peak of the epidemic in those countries.
This hinted to the idea that herd immunity, not lockdown, was responsible for the already declining number of cases and deaths in those countries.

Dr Wittkowski emphasized that social distancing and lockdown measures were preventing herd immunity in the United States, and as a result there might be a ‘second wave’ that will come not long after lockdown measures ease. Of course, this second wave will mostly likely be attributed to lifting lockdown measures, when, according to Wittkowski, it will be a result of preventing herd immunity due to lockdown measures.

According to Wittkowski, lockdown measures should have never been put in place and isolation and quarantine measures should have only been put into place among the elderly, in long term care facilities and among people who are immune compromised while others ‘work’ to kill the virus by creating herd immunity. According to him, by doing what we have been doing we’re actually putting the elderly, and have put the elderly, in a worse off position.

Sweden is an example of this approach.

Dr Wittkowski was saying this in March, when lockdowns were first being considered. He had a video on all this on YouTube, watched by millions, which was censored and removed by YouTube, no reason given but probably because they thought it was misinformation.

It's pretty sad when one of the few scientists who actually had it right gets censored.
Seems there is a great amount of self appointed experts on this virus, and the results of the world wide pandemic. Experts pick and choose what to post,
AND believe.

They are lacking context and some are just not true.

Not noted in this post is that Rockefeller Univ has disowned his statements, and that YouTube issued clear statements on why the video was taken down..

I offer no oipinion because I know nothing about the medical field, but each post, including those ipuntrue are investigated by me and if you follow closely....there is an overriding motivation for this stuff, and it is not based on the Corona Virus, but on a subject we cannot discuss on this forum.

All can certainly have an opinion, but be honest about the motivation and source of information.

Frankly, there have been a few very false claims about Dr Fauci for example on this forum, and again let the P arena out of this.

There are things that can be discussed, and hopefully WILL be discussed once our country hopefully rebounds from this thing.

Usually, in our country, when we are under duress we gather together to solidify our resolve to fight whatever the foe might be. In this case, we are being forced to pick sides for all the wrong reasons.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Over 93,000 people died since the middle of March this year from Covid-19 in this country.
Over 93,000 people died since the middle of March this year WITH Covid-19 in this country.

Fixed it for you.

Dr. Birx: Unlike Some Countries, "If Someone Dies With COVID-19 We Are Counting That As A COVID-19 Death"
Closed Thread

Tags
percent, fauci, rate, fatality, coronavirus

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.