"Cereal before bed? Food makers push ‘sleep’ snacks at night."

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2023, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
Blame that food industry for once again pushing high carbs and obesity?

https://wapo.st/3yItw4a
I think that people are looking for an answer to their difficulty sleeping problems and the cereal companies picked up on this and saw a chance for more sales and PROFITS. They probably do NOT believe that cereal will REALLY help. The question of WHY they are having sleep problems needs to be asked.
.........The Pandemic likely has a LOT to do with the problem - it was a NEW problem in both SCOPE and DIFFICULTY to solve. It opened and exacerbated social level, ethnic, regional, religious, and other WOUNDS in US society. It made many suspect that government did NOT "have their backs".
........Working from home and society-wide homeschooling disrupted the normal US paradigm causing internal family disruptions and conflicts - and undid the normal 5-day/ week schedule that people were used to and relied on for using their socializing skills. I believe that the number of marriages in the US has DROPPED and the number of single women and single mothers has increased.
.........On a very sad note, with more at-home, boring non-in-school finding of true friends and socializing, SUICIDES among 75% of teen girls and 25% of teen boys has unfortunately INCREASED. And the software of sites like Facebook that serve as a magnet to HOLD people on their sites has been a LARGE reason for these SUICIDES.
.......All told, the idea of evening cereal SOLVING the GIANT sociological problems associated with sleep difficulty is LUDICROUS !
........Also, no one has mentioned the additional problem that many MEN mostly have, which is that of waking up often from sleep to use the bathroom........I know I do.
..........That might take a separate thread to do justice to?
Old 03-17-2023, 10:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I had NO IDEA how much sugar was in cereal (even the "adult" cereals) until I made sugar (except for what exists naturally in a few foods) my Lenten sacrifice ! Folks, it is nearly impossible to eat ANYTHING in the super market that does not have sugar added to it, some things you would NEVER GUESS. I have never paid any attention to the "sugars" part of the nutritional labels on foods. I will look at the calories, and at the sodium content (that is sometimes mind boggling too !), but am fortunate not to have a weight problem so never really paid much attention to sugar. On the labels it delineates between natural occurring and sugar ADDED by the manufacturers. Everything has sugar added to it ! Not just soda, and snacks, it's added to everything ! This has not only been a spiritual experience for me, it's also been an education in just how much SUGAR I have been eating ! The up side, sure have been eating a LOT of prepared from scratch meals using only fresh ingredients .... ! No cans, boxes, did you know they even put SUGAR in some frozen vegetable ??? Maybe the USA should re-think our food processing ?
While this IS NOT quite true, you could almost MAKE the statement that the purpose of the US food industry is to DECREASE US longevity to control the population.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Your post made me look at the box of the only cereal I eat and that is Cheerios. I am shocked! Sugar is the third ingredient listed. I never thought Cheerios would have sugar in it.
Waking up and smelling the roses can be a NICE invigorating experience.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
There's lots of sugar in most everything that we eat. Carbs are broken down into sugar to be processed by the body. Too much sugar is not healthy, but we must remember that the two things that the brain requires to function properly are sugar and oxygen.
As an aside, my doctor told me long ago, that diets are fads, and if I truly want to lose weight just DON'T EAT ANYTHING THAT IS WHITE.
That is why I only eat gallon tubs of chocolate ice cream every evening.
None of that sugary vanilla stuff for me!
Old 03-17-2023, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
In January, I reduced the Carbs that I ate (Bread,Rice,Pasta, etc.,). Lost 20 lbs. to date.
Good job. Could increase your lifespan.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
There are two things here. First companies in this country are not worried about your health, they are only interested in profits. So, if you're worried about your health ignore anything these companies tell you. The second thing is everyone has to decided what is good for them. Do you enjoy what life has to offer or do you stick to a regimented diet just so you can live longer. It makes me smile when a hear about a ninety-year-old grandmother, who drinks, smokes and eats candy all day.
There are ALWAYS exceptional people that live to 100 yet have a not-so-healthy diet. The question to be asked, IS, COULD those same people HAVE lived to 120 or even 140 years?
Old 03-17-2023, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
There's lots of sugar in most everything that we eat. Carbs are broken down into sugar to be processed by the body. Too much sugar is not healthy, but we must remember that the two things that the brain requires to function properly are sugar and oxygen.
As an aside, my doctor told me long ago, that diets are fads, and if I truly want to lose weight just DON'T EAT ANYTHING THAT IS WHITE.
With the exception of CAULIFLOWER.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:49 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,757 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Your post made me look at the box of the only cereal I eat and that is Cheerios. I am shocked! Sugar is the third ingredient listed. I never thought Cheerios would have sugar in it.
Yes, I sure understand, I too was just shocked. Never would have happened if I had not made the decision for Lent...but at the time I was ONLY thinking of the
"sacrifice" of dessert, of donuts with my coffee at the doughnut shop, of an ice cream cone listening to the music on the square. But the sugar (noted ADDED sugar !), in things like barbecue sauce ? in "healthy snack" yogurt" ? Anyway, as I commented, this has been more than a spiritual experience !
Old 03-17-2023, 10:52 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
With the exception of CAULIFLOWER.
Yep ! Not sure, but look close, I've even found it packaged with a "sauce"... and the "sauce" has added sugar ! Think we've all been addicted to salt and sugar ! ?
Old 03-17-2023, 11:05 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
While this IS NOT quite true, you could almost MAKE the statement that the purpose of the US food industry is to DECREASE US longevity to control the population.
Makes you wonder ! What is true is the "mixed messages"; constant bombardment of the horrifying increase in diabetes in all age groups, the development of more ways to treat, insulin pumps, etc. and at the same time the sugar and salt in everything continues to increase.... dichotomy in there somewhere ? People do love salt and sugar, so why would food companies, restaurants, fast food establishments, who are in business to make a profit, not continue to add more and more of what people love ?
Old 03-17-2023, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larbud View Post
I would love to eat dried fruits but the first on list of ingredients after type of fruit is SUGAR and lots of it!

Exactly, I found the same thing while on this "spiritual" journey for Lent ! Looked at dried fruit too, sure enough SUGAR galore and...not in the natural form like in fresh fruit. Another shocker was my preferred salad dressing, 14% of recommended guidelines for SUGAR ! Peanut butter, some brands have extreme amounts of both sugar and salt. Another interesting observation, the "healthy" choice brands of peanut butter and MANY other "healthy choice" products, have two, and some have three times, the SALT added ! The other thing I've really noticed (since I started paying attention !) if many products have changed the "per serving" listing. This was so subtle also. I was used to seeing "per Tablespoon" on things like ketchup, barbecue sauce, salad dressing, etc. Now, since I have been paying more attention, I noticed some brands have changed the designation to "per teaspoon" and the abbreviation for both, as we know, can be missed if you only give a slight glance... interesting anecdotal "research" I've been up to...LOL !
Old 03-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Exactly, I found the same thing while on this "spiritual" journey for Lent ! Looked at dried fruit too, sure enough SUGAR galore and...not in the natural form like in fresh fruit. Another shocker was my preferred salad dressing, 14% of recommended guidelines for SUGAR ! Peanut butter, some brands have extreme amounts of both sugar and salt. Another interesting observation, the "healthy" choice brands of peanut butter and MANY other "healthy choice" products, have two, and some have three times, the SALT added ! The other thing I've really noticed (since I started paying attention !) if many products have changed the "per serving" listing. This was so subtle also. I was used to seeing "per Tablespoon" on things like ketchup, barbecue sauce, salad dressing, etc. Now, since I have been paying more attention, I noticed some brands have changed the designation to "per teaspoon" and the abbreviation for both, as we know, can be missed if you only give a slight glance... interesting anecdotal "research" I've been up to...LOL !
I am sure that the LARGE amount of sugar and salt in peanut butter is to "HOOK" children on their products. What I would wonder IS do countries like Australia, New Zealand, and maybe Denmark PROTECT their citizens and children from excess salt and sugar in processed foods? And if the US is the world leader in unhealthy processed package foods?
Old 03-17-2023, 03:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I sure understand, I too was just shocked. Never would have happened if I had not made the decision for Lent...but at the time I was ONLY thinking of the
"sacrifice" of dessert, of donuts with my coffee at the doughnut shop, of an ice cream cone listening to the music on the square. But the sugar (noted ADDED sugar !), in things like barbecue sauce ? in "healthy snack" yogurt" ? Anyway, as I commented, this has been more than a spiritual experience !
Well, today I was at neighborhood Walmart. As I walked down the cereal isle I saw the Walmart brand version of Cheerios. Looking at the ingredient's label I did not see sugar listed. I didn't buy it, but I'm considering it.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:18 PM
Veteran member

Yeah most cereal is actually horrible for you. Sugar, corn syrup, high fructose - all inflammation-inducing garbage.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Being the "third ingredient" doesn't necessarily mean Cheerios is high in sugar, it only has 2 grams per serving. To put that in perspective, you would have to eat 20 bowls to equal just one can of coke.
Closed Thread

Tags
food, cereal, obesity, carbs, high

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.