Chain of Lakes Boat Club

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Default Chain of Lakes Boat Club

Was wondering how many people on here belong to the boat club and if you had any problems with the membership? We were considering it pretty strongly till we read the contract and kind of cooled on the idea.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:30 AM

My husband I belonged for about 3 years then sold our membership. We got bored with only having access to the "chain of lakes", after 3 years we stopped boating as we were always going through the Dora Canal and going to Mt. Dora for lunch and a few other restaurants. Charlie and Gina who own the club are great and we did like all the members and activities they planned. It just wasn't for us anymore and we had no problem selling the membership, I had 3 offers the first day I posted it on TOTV. Its a great deal without having to buy a boat ; upkeep, maintenance. The boats are in great shape, clean, and never had issues with getting a boat when we requested it. They may have changed there contract since we signed, but we didn't see any red flags when we signed the contract.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds51 View Post
Was wondering how many people on here belong to the boat club and if you had any problems with the membership? We were considering it pretty strongly till we read the contract and kind of cooled on the idea.
Tell us about the red flags in the contract. I was thinking of joining. Thanks.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-03-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Tell us about the red flags in the contract. I was thinking of joining. Thanks.
They will give you a contract to look over so you can form your own opinion. A couple things that jumped off the page to me was the alcohol is strictly prohibited. I have owned boats my whole life and having a few cocktails out on the water was always part of the enjoyment.
The way I read it if there was any kind of accident, and they deem alcohol was a contributing factor, you would have no insurance. It also stated that you (the member) was the only one that was authorized to run(pilot) the boat.
During our talk with the owner, he stated that if there was a break down they would take care of it. In the contract, it says that you the member are responsible for any towing charges. They would come if available, if not you pay.
There was also a $1500 transfer fee if you decide to sell your membership. There were a few other things that I found a little concerning but I don't want to seem to rag on the guys' business.
The biggest thing to me was the alcohol thing. It didn't state impaired or over the legal limit, it stated if it was a contributing factor. I won't drive a car off the lot without insurance and you never know what could happen. You could bump someone else's boat at a restaurant knock someone down or something.
Again, I may be worried over nothing. If you are interested you should talk to them and get a contract and decide for yourself.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:33 AM
Thumbs up Highly recommend the Chain of Lakes Boat Club

After much research, we joined about 6 months ago and have never looked back. Charlie, Gina and Erin are awesome people who work daily for us members. As for the contract, not a problem for us. When we go out, I don't drink and operate the boat (but thats just me). Very common sense contract protecting them and the club.

I recommend anyone interested in being able to boat on the Chain of Lakes look into the club. Like anything, maybe it will grow old, but FAR less financial cost than owning, storing, insuring and maintaining your own. If I break down and have to pay to tow... well so be it (if the owners of the club are not available to help us).

JMHO, but if your responsible its a no brainer!

Gotta run, getting ready to head out for a day of fun with friends on the Chain of Lakes Boat Club!

www.chainoflakesboatclub.com

Mallory Square, Village of Hadley and now Gilchrist!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt and Gail View Post
After much research, we joined about 6 months ago and have never looked back. Charlie, Gina and Erin are awesome people who work daily for us members. As for the contract, not a problem for us. When we go out, I don't drink and operate the boat (but thats just me). Very common sense contract protecting them and the club.

I recommend anyone interested in being able to boat on the Chain of Lakes look into the club. Like anything, maybe it will grow old, but FAR less financial cost than owning, storing, insuring and maintaining your own. If I break down and have to pay to tow... well so be it (if the owners of the club are not available to help us).

JMHO, but if your responsible its a no brainer!

Gotta run, getting ready to head out for a day of fun with friends on the Chain of Lakes Boat Club!

www.chainoflakesboatclub.com
Sounds very do-able to me. Do you pay by the year? Monthly? One time fee to join...etc?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

my good friend belongs to this club. he and I go fishing quite offen with bass pontoon boat,don't get get alot of fish,but try. the boats are very nice and clean and maintained. we have had some problems but owners have always stepped up to make things right. nice to just get in and go,come back put gas in park it and done. GREAT!
Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 PM
Default Contact Charlie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Sounds very do-able to me. Do you pay by the year? Monthly? One time fee to join...etc?
If you call the number on the website and talk to Charlie, he will give you all the details.

Mallory Square, Village of Hadley and now Gilchrist!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds51 View Post
They will give you a contract to look over so you can form your own opinion. A couple things that jumped off the page to me was the alcohol is strictly prohibited. I have owned boats my whole life and having a few cocktails out on the water was always part of the enjoyment.alcohol is strictly prohibited.
The way I read it if there was any kind of accident, and they deem alcohol was a contributing factor, you would have no insurance. It also stated that you (the member) was the only one that was authorized to run(pilot) the boat.
During our talk with the owner, he stated that if there was a break down they would take care of it. In the contract, it says that you the member are responsible for any towing charges. They would come if available, if not you pay.
There was also a $1500 transfer fee if you decide to sell your membership. There were a few other things that I found a little concerning but I don't want to seem to rag on the guys' business.
The biggest thing to me was the alcohol thing. It didn't state impaired or over the legal limit, it stated if it was a contributing factor. I won't drive a car off the lot without insurance and you never know what could happen. You could bump someone else's boat at a restaurant knock someone down or something.
Again, I may be worried over nothing. If you are interested you should talk to them and get a contract and decide for yourself.
Sounds like this is not the club for you to join if alcohol is strictly prohibited.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
Sounds like this is not the club for you to join if alcohol is strictly prohibited.
Yep, what I was thinking. I don't want to be the designated driver every time we go out.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Having had a boat on the Fox Chain of Lakes on the Wisconsin Illinois border for years I looked into the boat club here. A very impressive presentation and spotless boats would have been a sale except for one thing. As nice and scenic the Harris Chain is, it is boring. I was spoiled being used to numerous restaurants, events, thousands of other boaters from pontoons to extreme cigarette boats. Weekends were a constant parade of boats and people watching. Weekdays were less intense but nothing closed.

I still enjoy the Harris Chain but only occasionally with friends or a daily rental The Dora canal still intrigues me.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

The marina and seaplane base were destroyed by hurricane Irma.

Hurricane Irma destroys Tavares marina, seaplane base - Orlando Sentinel

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
club, boat, membership, pretty, till

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.