Chevy Owners Be Aware

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2018, 03:46 PM
Sage
Default Chevy Owners Be Aware

A fire Thursday night gutted the service department of Cecil Clark's Chevrolet on U.S. Highway 441 in Leesburg.

There were no injuries as a result of the fire.

Dealership owner Greg Clark said Thursday he thought fumes from a gas tank might have been the culprit.

The cause of the fire is uncertain, but firefighters who responded to the blaze in the service department know for certain that it started with a vehicle in the second bay of the garage.

Arson is not suspected.

Firefighters got the call at 6:53 p.m., and the first unit, from the airport across the highway, arrived five minutes later, Henry said. Ten units responded, including some from Lake County, who squelched much of the blaze initially, he explained.

Five or six cars were damaged or destroyed in the garage, along with tools and equipment. The fire did not damage the show room or any other part of the dealership.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

They are a certified GM dealership, so may not have been just a Chevy
Old 12-01-2018, 10:41 PM

What am I supposed to be aware of?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvaughn View Post

Ugly Fords.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvaughn View Post
Are you a chevy owner?

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 12-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

I guess you mean look for another dealer to service your car, right?
Old 12-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I guess you mean look for another dealer to service your car, right?
That must be it!
Old 12-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Platinum member

It could be a FYI if you had your car in there for service. Hope not.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Any fuel injected vehicle can catch fire. It is important when you smell gas fumes to check for leaks especially around the fuel injection rail feeding the cylinders where just tiny o-ring prevent fuel under pressure from spray everywhere which if it hits hot exhaust manifold can cause instant inferno. In Early 90s GM and other manufacturers has this problem when o-rings failed to prevent high pressure fuel from spraying out after couple years in service. But, most likely the smell of gas fumes was present before the infernos.

other places to look are under the car and on the ground if the leak bad enough to drip before evaporation. IMO in service bay it would be hard for cool engine to catch fire, now if open fuel was present and low ignition source close to ground can flash over if fumes are bad enough ( why gas water heaters have to be 18” or more off floor of garage due to fumes ignition) hopefully the fire inspector s can nail down source or cause of the fire?

Another cause could of been short from battery, but usually batteries are disconnected during maintenance to prevent sparks, shorts, arc’s, and computer damage. A mechanic could of been careless And left battery c0nnected or some metal close and it rolled and caused dead short.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Ugly Fords.

Only in the eyes of the beholder. Ford gets bad rap, but the have yet sucked the government tit.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Default Ford-bad rap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Only in the eyes of the beholder. Ford gets bad rap, but the have yet sucked the government tit.
I've owned many cars and used to drive quite a lot. Just about every car I've owned served me well for 150,000 miles.

I owned a Renault Alliance from American Motors. When, Chrysler took it over I realized I was in trouble when the mechanics commented it was rare to see one with 150,000 on it.

Unfair? Perhaps but, the Ford Alliance was the worst car I've ever owned. Currently own a Chevy Malibu and my car before that was a Chevy Lumina. Ford will never sell me another car.

It is true that Ford did not take bailout money but, have you asked why? If, the government was willing to lend money far below fair market rate why did Ford not take it.
The answer is that the government demanded to review executive compensation packages.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So back to what car was it.

This year at a dealership, in Sterling Heights Mi, had a fire in the service department was due to a cleaning crew got to close to a can of rags. The cleaning machine ran into the can, sparks caught the rags, and burned down most of the service department and all cars inside. No car was the problem.

Entire episode was caught on security cameras, so didn’t need second guessing.

Last edited by asianthree; 12-02-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I've owned many cars and used to drive quite a lot. Just about every car I've owned served me well for 150,000 miles.

I owned a Renault Alliance from American Motors. When, Chrysler took it over I realized I was in trouble when the mechanics commented it was rare to see one with 150,000 on it.

Unfair? Perhaps but, the Ford Alliance was the worst car I've ever owned. Currently own a Chevy Malibu and my car before that was a Chevy Lumina. Ford will never sell me another car.

It is true Ford did not take bailout money but, have you asked why? If, the government was willing to lend money far below fair market rate why did Ford not take it.
The answer is that the government demanded to review executive compensation packages.

If I remember right Alliance was Renault car brand When I google ford Alliance nothing comes up? Renault IMO was Yogo quality about as far as the bottom you could get. But, they were cheap, in more ways that one.

Ford didn’t like the attachments that came with the money and they were smart not to take it, look what happened to Chrysler, got sold out to foreign company and GM stockholders when GM filed bankruptcy which wasn’t supposed to happen when they took the first billions, then, there upper management got paid off to with the government tit money to retire and union retirement fund. Who knows who else got paid off?
Old 12-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So elegant.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:27 PM
TOTV Moderator

Back on topic, please....fire at local Chevy dealership service department. If discussion continues on government bailouts, thread will be closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
fire, dealership, highway, firefighters, blaze

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.