Children's Hospital Donations

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts
Default Children's Hospital Donations

I moved here from Fairfax, Virginia where the Fairfax Hospital is a nonprofit hospital that I know provides excellent treatment for children. They accept tax deductible donations like most other hospitals. They accept insurance, do research, and provide charity care. Every day, I watch television commercials for the Shriners and Saint Jude children’s hospitals begging for donations. These two hospitals use over $110 million per year in national advertising time, way more than any other hospital. But, these ads don’t seem to provide any information about how they may be better than other hospitals. I actually consider the ads annoying because of the lack of information about what they really do with the donated money. Personally, I would rather give money to hospitals that don’t spend enormous amounts of advertising money. But, apparently a lot of people don’t see it that way. I would like some opinions on this topic.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Many of us come from areas with great medical schools and teaching hospitals. Cincinnati Children's has been in the top five Childrens's hospitals in the country for several different specialties in the last decade or more.

Our family had reason to benefit from their expertise and kindness many times and our daughter who is 53 still goes for check up's to the adult congenital heart clinic at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Having said that, I do not fault St. Jude's for their fund raising. Although I am wary of most Go Fund Me's and will ask questions about fund raising for rare diseases. Scams still do happen and money sometimes doesn't get to the right hands.

I find myself wondering if Jennifer Anniston is paid for the St. Jude Commercials, she seems so genuine and I like her as an actress and I am hoping she does it for nothing.

I never fault a little healthy skepticism. It is wise to know where our money goes. Most of us worked hard for it.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

You know the little kid on the St Judes Commercial you know who I mean the one who is as cute as a Grandchild. I would give a pile of money to them if I ever won the big one. I have no problem with them educating the public about the services that they provide. Very impressive. I would buy a whole lot of blankets from that little kid.

Maybe somebody like Bill Gates could direct some of those funds at St Jude's?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
You know the little kid on the St Judes Commercial you know who I mean the one who is as cute as a Grandchild. I would give a pile of money to them if I ever won the big one. I have no problem with them educating the public about the services that they provide. Very impressive. I would buy a whole lot of blankets from that little kid.

Maybe somebody like Bill Gates could direct some of those funds at St Jude's?
There is a little guy on the Shriners Hospital Commercial that has a blanket too. They all touch my heart.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:44 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Childrens Hospital's often get the short end of the donation stick. At the same time, there are often many silent donors that give their time and money to them. My daughter went to Pharmacy School at the University of Michigan, where many former Michigan stars have donated substantial amounts of money to the Motts Childrens Hospital. She then did an internship at Monroe Carrell childrens, part of Vanderbilt in nashville. One day Rascal Flatts appeared and gave an impromptu concert for the children. Apparently they have given enough money there to have a wing of the hospital named after them. She is now at UNC Chapel Hill, childrens wing, where the lineburger cancer center provides care to adults and children. She specializes in pediatric oncology, and has seen many sports figures from UNC and NC State cheer up the kids. All of these places welcome donations, as does CUREsearch, a charity that focuses on pediatric cancer research. At the same time, I would not diss either St Judes or the Shriners. Most of us are at an age to remember Danny Thomas. It takes a lot of money to keep his promise of never charging kids to get treatment there. Their research and leading edge treatment is world renowned. Likewise the Shriners. yes, the commercials do get tedious. But they both provide much needed services to the young ones.

Last edited by valuemkt; 12-18-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

pls do a search on Jennifer aniston and you'll find that she and other stars have donated their time and talent to the organization for years.. here's one hit.. there are many others .. Jennifer Aniston, Sofia Vergara, Michael Strahan, Jimmy Kimmel and Luis Fonsi join Marlo Thomas for the 14th annual St. Jude Thanks And Giving(R) campaign - St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Old 12-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Childrens Hospital's often get the short end of the donation stick. At the same time, there are often many silent donors that give their time and money to them. My daughter went to Pharmacy School at the University of Michigan, where many former Michigan stars have donated substantial amounts of money to the Motts Childrens Hospital. She then did an internship at Monroe Carrell childrens, part of Vanderbilt in nashville. One day Rascal Flatts appeared and gave an impromptu concert for the children. Apparently they have given enough money there to have a wing of the hospital named after them. where the lineburger cancer center provides care to adults and children. She specializes in pediatric oncology, and has seen many sports figures from UNC and NC State cheer up the kids. All of these places welcome donations, as does CUREsearch, a charity that focuses on prediatric cancer research. At the same time, I would not diss either St Judes or the Shriners. Most of us are at an age to remember Danny Thomas. It takes a lot of money to keep his promise of never charging kids to get treatment there. Their research and leading edge treatment is world renowned. Likewise the Shriners. yes, the commercials do get tedious. But they both provide much needed services to the young ones.
Please hug your daughter extra special for us. I know you are proud. That sort of career choice is beyond words.

Tags
hospitals, hospital, don’t, donations, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.