China hid extent of coronavirus outbreak per US Intel

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2020, 01:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
they engineered this crisis to build ventilators? Killing many of their own citizens and others worldwide to profit from the sale of ventilators

they had a massive trade surplus with the US and invested heavily in dollars.

but of course. changing the discussion to a blame of China helps evade any of the actions taken here to mitigate the crisis.
It seems like many people feel compelled to blame ourselves first ... probably a carryover from religious guilt maybe? Or maybe some type of societal self-dislike that easily rolls into the secular belief that America is the source of most of the world's problems.

Mea culpa, mea culpa
Old 04-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
Since I also came from a Communist Country, no I would not believe any claims by any Communist Government, they spew “propaganda” we are getting a taste here by CNN and other news outlets, no wonder they are called “Fake News” by our President!!!!!

Having spent time in several communist countries and personally visited with many of their citizens I agree with your statements about the correlation between their propaganda generating press and our fake news spewing mainstream media. You are correct!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
It seems like many people feel compelled to blame ourselves first ... probably a carryover from religious guilt maybe? Or maybe some type of societal self-dislike that easily rolls into the secular belief that America is the source of most of the world's problems.

Mea culpa, mea culpa
Mea maxima culpa
Old 04-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
I think you're correct. We need to re-engineer our trade patterns and return our manufacturing capability back home.

Seems like someone I've heard of has been advocating that for a number of years now.

If as you advocate, the US. is to bring production back from abroad, and still be competetive, the American worker better be prepapared to work for less than the minimum wage, or persuade the share holders to accept taking the hit, and we know that will fly like a lead baloon!
That was the main reason most companies moved abroad. Cheap labor, bigger profits and dividends, and of course, no unions.
Surely you cannot think for one moment that the American public will accept anything at a higher price, long term, just because it is 'Made in USA.'
Given an option, the majority will still buy the cheapest, wherever it comes from!
Old 04-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
I’ve been watching, and wondering, why China’s total reported cases of the virus has been more or less stationary for the last week in the low 80,000s. Good to know US intel has been addressing the issue. They’ve now concluded:

• “The Chinese government has deliberately underreported the total number of coronavirus cases and deaths in the country, the U.S. intelligence community told the White House, a new report says.

• Bloomberg, citing three U.S. officials, reported Wednesday that the intelligence community said in a classified report that China’s public tally of COVID-19 infections and deaths is purposefully incomplete.

• The secret report concludes that China’s numbers are fake, two of the officials said, Bloomberg reported. The White House received the report last week, according to the news outlet.”

Coronavirus: China hid extent of outbreak, US intelligence reportedly says
This post is not factual. China was more upfront with the problem than was the United States. I am a patriot, but the truth is the truth. I will not blame my mistakes on another.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Mea maxima culpa
Exactly! I see you're familiar with the long ago Latin version. I remember it well.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Exactly! I see you're familiar with the long ago Latin version. I remember it well.
Many many years of catechism
Old 04-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
This post is not factual. China was more upfront with the problem than was the United States. I am a patriot, but the truth is the truth. I will not blame my mistakes on another.
The post cites US intelligence sources. That's about as factual as one can get. Short version ... China lies through it's totalitarian teeth, and uses deception routinely. It often works on naive Westerners too.

However, I'm sure you are a patriot, misguided in some areas IMO, but I don't question that aspect.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
The post cites US intelligence sources. That's about as factual as one can get. Short version ... China lies through it's totalitarian teeth, and uses deception routinely. It often works on naive Westerners too.

However, I'm sure you are a patriot, misguided in some areas IMO, but I don't question that aspect.
Well, when Trump tells us he has a great relationship with China, I will not call him a liar.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Many many years of catechism
Yes, the Baltimore Catechism, vs the 1990s version which is too long but serves as a good boat anchor. But I digress.

"Go in peace, glorifying the Lord by your life" and with that, back to topic.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Well, when Trump tells us he has a great relationship with China, I will not call him a liar.
I think he's tried to make it work, but that relationship will be changing. He has to be careful for the next few months ... don't want to back into a confrontation or shooting war in South China Sea.

We need to get through this, craft our strategy and execute when we're in a better position.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I think he's tried to make it work, but that relationship will be changing. He has to be careful for the next few months ... don't want to back into a confrontation or shooting war in South China Sea.

We need to get through this, craft our strategy and execute when we're in a better position.
I would ask, please put more trust in our leader. Being bad to China may hinder what potus is strategizing about. Please trust him more.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If as you advocate, the US. is to bring production back from abroad, and still be competetive, the American worker better be prepapared to work for less than the minimum wage, or persuade the share holders to accept taking the hit, and we know that will fly like a lead baloon!
That was the main reason most companies moved abroad. Cheap labor, bigger profits and dividends, and of course, no unions.
Surely you cannot think for one moment that the American public will accept anything at a higher price, long term, just because it is 'Made in USA.'
Given an option, the majority will still buy the cheapest, wherever it comes from!
You raise a great point. No easy answers. We all wanted cheaper goods ... very few exceptions.

But, we're at a crossroads. We'll all have to adapt. Workers take less, management less, shareholders less, retirees get their pensions shaved somewhat and so forth. While we're at it, we should improve the level of education / understanding about Econ 101 which is partially what you're saying.

We need to save our country for our kids and grandkids. Maybe we need to go the WWII mode. People want Trump to invokes the DPA and others. Maybe it's time to do that, and more.

It will take unity and a strong leader, and a lot of prayer as well, even though I know the seculars will sigh at that.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
I would ask, please put more trust in our leader. Being bad to China may hinder what potus is strategizing about. Please trust him more.
Actually, you should turn that around 180
Old 04-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
This is like blaming the fire fighters after an arsonist sets your house on fire. Completely ridiculous.
Closed Thread

Tags
report, china’s, reported, cases, bloomberg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.