Choosing a current Broadway play

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2018, 08:19 PM
Platinum member

We are in charge of choosing a Broadway play to see with our 14-year old granddaughter. Any suggestions? She is in NYC with the Joffrey dance troupe for a couple weeks. Any suggestions? My Fair Lady has good reviews.

Last edited by jojo; 06-29-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:22 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I have not seen “Come From Away” but I have heard it is wonderful. It is a musical about what happened in Gander, Newfoundland, on 9/11 when 38 planes from US air space were directed to land there, stranding the passengers.

The play was inspired by the book “The Day the World Came To Town.”

The story of what happened in Gander is a reminder of the power and beauty of human kindness.

“Hamilton” could be a good choice, too.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

And now, my last post posted twice.

Something is going haywire with my posts tonight.

The play I was recommending is “Come From Away.” My earlier post about it is around here somewhere.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I have not seen “Come From Away” but I have heard it is wonderful. It is a musical about what happened in Gander, Newfoundland, on 9/11 when 38 planes from US air space were directed to land there, stranding the passengers.

The play was inspired by the book “The Day the World Came To Town.”

The story of what happened in Gander is a reminder of the power and beauty of human kindness.

“Hamilton” could be a good choice, too.
Come From Away | A New Musical | Official Site

I do not pay enough attention to Broadway.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:33 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Broadway Shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
We are in charge of choosing a Broadway play to see with our 14-year old granddaughter. Any suggestions? She is in NYC with the Joffrey dance troupe for a couple weeks.

We have been tasked with choosing a Broadway play to see with our 14-year old granddaughter. She is in NYC for two weeks to dance with the Joffrey dance troupe. Any suggestions? My Fair Lady has good reviews.
Dear Evan Hansen-Bronx Tale-Frozen These are great for you and your granddaughter. You can also type in playing on Broadway on Google and get the complete list, with prices showtimes and theaters. I hope this helps. Len & Mary
Old 06-29-2018, 07:50 AM
Gold member

So many good shows right now, for a 14 year old, how about School of Rock, Harry Potter and the Cruised Child (very long), Frozen, and if want earn the coveted Grandparent of the Century award......Hamilton.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 06-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
We are in charge of choosing a Broadway play to see with our 14-year old granddaughter. Any suggestions? She is in NYC with the Joffrey dance troupe for a couple weeks.

We have been tasked with choosing a Broadway play to see with our 14-year old granddaughter. She is in NYC for two weeks to dance with the Joffrey dance troupe. Any suggestions? My Fair Lady has good reviews.
I am delighted but not surprised that this amazing young woman is dancing for two weeks with the Joffrey dance troupe. You, Jo, have three stellar grandchildren. Apples do not fall far from trees. Enjoy.

We will be in Manhattan too visiting our granddaughter for a couple of days very soon.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Platinum member

Thank you all for these suggestions. Someone else mentioned Evan Hanson. My daughter-in-law has seen Hamilton.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:12 PM

She would love Come From Away, Kinky Boots or Mean Girls (Tina Fey). KB would be the way easiest to get tix to.

I found The Band's Visit tedious and A Bronx Tale is closing soon. It missed the mark for me.

Come From Away is all the rage right now.

Be warned about Dear Evan Hansen: There are some uplifting parts but a lot of sad material and many people cry at times. Some people leave a little depressed. Also, like Waitress, this is NOT the original cast and not thought of as nearly as good in its current form.

So it depends if you want a real hard core drama or a fun rockin musical like Kinky Boots, etc....
Old 06-29-2018, 01:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Highly recommend the musical, Anastasia. Purrrrfect for a 14 yr old. I'm sure she knows the story. The dancing is top notch and the choreographed visuals are memorable. I happen to know the lead Christy Altomare from her PA. high school productions. Super. crystal clear voice, memorable production, and you might get a chance to talk to her at the stage door afterward. There is a pivotal Swan Lake performance that I'm sure any promising ballerina will enjoy. Its recently been extended for another years run.

Released today:
“At The Beginning” from the 1997 ANASTASIA film | ANASTASIA The Musical - YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Anastasia cr2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	75492   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Christy and Tedsm.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	75493  
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.