Christmas Decorations in full bloom at Lowes and Home Depot

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Christmas Decorations in full bloom at Lowes and Home Depot

I was in both stores yesterday and was shocked to see Chritmas trees/decorations/etc in full bloom......I momentarily had to check my calendar to see if I was teleported in time or something.

I used to think it was ridiculous when it started right AFTER halloween.......and now almost two months BEFORE halloween........defies reason.

Commercializing at it's very worst.

Totally diminishes the real spirit and intent of the CHRISTmas season!!!

btk
Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Gold member

Gross. Why can't they let everyone enjoy one holiday t a time ?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran member

Why do they ever take them down. Christmas season should start 20th of December nd stop promptly at midnight Christmas Day.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Way to early for my liking This gets people in a crazy rush Slow it down
Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Email Reported As Spam

If everyone would just refuse to buy anthing "Christmas" until November, it would change, but that's not going to happen. I already have a couple of friends on facebook bragging about how they have half of their presents bought.

I just don't pay much attention until a little before Thanksgiving, but I do wish you could still find a lawn chair!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage

The only thing is if you are looking for Christmas decorations (a nice selection) if you don't buy them now, come the Christmas season there will be slim pickings. They get in a certain amount and it doesn't seem like they replenish anything and sell out the last of it two weeks before Christmas.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:45 AM

On a side note I am curious if you all put up a full size tree vs a small one?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The last 2 years, no tree at all, just some table decor, candles, etc. But, I think the kids will be here this year, so full size tree!!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Gold member

In their defense: They have a section of their store devoted to seasonal stuff. While I guess they could try hawking Halloween decorations (which I don't get at all), what else should they put into this section at this time of year?

Full disclosure: I was actually online yesterday looking at some specific decorations that we need for this year. I'm happy to hear that the big box stores have their stuff out already. I do recall that last year we waited until December and there was very little left; so it appears that consumers are in synch with the buy early notion when it comes to decorations. Now, if I start hearing Christmas carols and Santa Clauses in the stores I'll have an issue.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
Depends on whether kids and grand kids are coming. When they do, we have two trees (a 7.5 foot and a 10 foot) plus some under 3 feet. They love the fact that it looks so Christmasy despite there being no snow or cold weather. When it's just us, we just put up the big one (which is actually easier than the 7.5 footer).
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Gold member
Talking

Went to Home Depot & Lowes, but couldn't find Santa, to sit on his lap????
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
My grandson, the college student, said to me, Ga, are you and Papa going to move down there and put up a table top tree? And I said, absolutely not! It will go to the ceiling the way it always has and it will as long as I can do it. I don't think there can be too much in the way of Christmas. When I see Christmas stuff, just like when I see pictures of little ones, it always makes me smile.

Whether Christmas is commercial or not depends on how it is in your heart.

To each their own.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

as a child i could not wait until the day after thanksgiving, when the Christmas things came out in the store...not happy to see trees up in september, at lowes and hd,and all halloween things are gone..at least when you go to Bronners you know its Christmas every day.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Gold member

Sorry, I think this is ridiculous!

Personally, I won't shop for Christmas items (decorations, etc.) until after Halloween.

Gotta tell you though I have been BURNED! Waited 2 years ago and got to the store and NOTHING! All sold out. I still say "Oh well." I realize the stores are not going to miss my money but it is the principle of it.

I have my decorations - would like more - and if they are available in November fine if not, fine!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Christmas Comes Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
I'm happy to hear that the big box stores have their stuff out already. I do recall that last year we waited until December and there was very little left; so it appears that consumers are in synch with the buy early notion when it comes to decorations.
NJBlue is correct...

Some of neighborhoods come in to the store and buy large quantities of the same outdoor decorations (such as the set of spiral lighted Christmas trees). I can tell you first hand...if you want them BUY THEM NOW or they will not be there. Our store (HD-Lady Lake) was set two days ago for the Holidays and I've seen baskets full rolling out. There will be groups that come in and buy 20 or more of the same item. Only so many of each are allocated per store, although one could go online and order until that supply is depleted.

Although I am not neccessarily for the early set, The Villages are different from anywhere else in the country, and I guess they are trying to make everyone happy.

See you in the aisles...FA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.