The CLEAN generations...us Villagers?

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandMary View Post
Chi-Town, you must be a doctor or nurse!
Or possibly retired Navy.... my husband tells me they washed their hands before going to bathroom when wearing their white uniforms....
Old 11-18-2017, 12:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think we Villagers come from a group of people who kept themselves and their homes and their children very clean and orderly.

What do you have to say about this? Have times changed?

I still see a lot of well kept homes on the outside and visit a lot of well kept homes on the inside here in The Villages. I haven't been in anyone's home that was dingy or not well ordered here.

Are we too scrupulous as a group or just right? How do our children and grandchildren approach this subject? Were we silly or right about our standards for cleanliness of boomers or better?
I for sure think it is a generational "thing". Like cursive penmanship and phone land lines and paper phone books...

I wanted to spend time with my kids doing memorable things so they didn't have the memories I did, of mother cleaning house. My home in TV is tidy and neat, but because I don't have any kids living in it. My generation wants to experience life, not live within standards other set for us...

I am a Villager, semi-retired at 49 because I saved every penny and lived a simple life. I am guessing the OP is a good 30 years my senior. We share the same profession, although you were most likely respected in your day...unlike teachers of today!

Hard to define exactly which generation you are referring to since Villagers can range from 45-100+...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 12:49 AM
Gold member

If I don't trim/edge my lawn after mowing, my older neighbors will give me the stink-eye.

We "youngins" just appreciate the rustic look...At least we ain't tattooing ourselves freakish and growing beards to our navels like the next "narcissistic nihilist" generation.

Last edited by MorTech; 11-18-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Email Reported As Spam

There are a proportionate share of slobs living in TV and one indication is their golf carts. I saw a guy the other day stopped at a red light and yes...picking his nose
Hope he was not on his way to the grocery store

cleaniness is next to godliness
Old 11-18-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
A lot of Villagers pets that I see appear to be clean and well kept. Pets paws do bring dirt into a home. Whenever ours go out, in the morning with dew on the ground or after a rain, we always wipe their feet off.

Wherever there are sanitizer wipes available to wipe down push carts at a business, I use them; you never know what's on the hands that last pushed them.
Yes and those same hands touched Cans,Fruit,freezer door handles and everything else in the store. Any benefit from wiping cart handles is lost the moment you touch something on any shelf.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think we Villagers come from a group of people who kept themselves and their homes and their children very clean and orderly.

What do you have to say about this? Have times changed?

I still see a lot of well kept homes on the outside and visit a lot of well kept homes on the inside here in The Villages. I haven't been in anyone's home that was dingy or not well ordered here.

Are we too scrupulous as a group or just right? How do our children and grandchildren approach this subject? Were we silly or right about our standards for cleanliness of boomers or better?
I don't think that it's a generational thing. Growing up and in my adult life, I have seen people on both ends of the spectrum and in the middle.

When I was a kid, my house was always reasonably clean.
We had neighbors whose houses were pigsties and I recall going into friends homes where we were not allowed to touch anything or sit on the furniture.

I've met the same kind of people in my adult life. I see people that sweep the streets in front of their homes after they finish their daily cleaning and I see people that have let their house fall apart.
I think that most people are in the middle somewhere although I would guess that those who are on the extremes believe that they are in the middle.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't think that it's a generational thing. Growing up and in my adult life, I have seen people on both ends of the spectrum and in the middle.

When I was a kid, my house was always reasonably clean.
We had neighbors whose houses were pigsties and I recall going into friends homes where we were not allowed to touch anything or sit on the furniture.

I've met the same kind of people in my adult life. I see people that sweep the streets in front of their homes after they finish their daily cleaning and I see people that have let their house fall apart.
I think that most people are in the middle somewhere although I would guess that those who are on the extremes believe that they are in the middle.
Excellent post Dr.Boogie - although I would throw this in to the conversation. I am privileged to have known people from all walks of life and I have found that the more intelligent and educated they are, they hate housework; and the ones who were great stay at home Mums and wives were super housekeepers.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I know a lot of educated people of my age who continue to keep their homes clean. I still say it was a norm for our generation. I am 78.

None of them are appalled by bacteria. If you want to clean your home, you must be prepared to dive into some unsanitary things and places.

None of them have homes that are not comfortable and welcoming and not at all kept nice just for company.

I think the men of our generation keep their garages that you could almost do surgery in them.

I don't think it is bad, any of it. I rather like it.

Cleanliness is somewhere up there with..........niceness.

That is O.K.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

My biggest germ fear is being around children. And, keep them far away from the buffet table, please.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My biggest germ fear is being around children. And, keep them far away from the buffet table, please.
What - you don't like them taking a bite out of something and putting it back????

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Talking Since time immemorial....

...the 'older' generation has commented (sometimes overtly, sometimes more passively) that the 'younger' generation...just doesn't 'measure up.'

If one is honest with themselves, they will remember their own parents/grandparents questioning the actions and behavior of us...when we were younger.

I guess that means if you go back far enough, cave people were perfect...and humanity has been going downhill ever since.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Is having pets dirty?

Of course, but well worth it

Do you think people do the right thing wiping off the cart at Publix before using it?

One of the more ridiculous things I see. I contacted more "germs" in 10 minutes of work than a grocery shopper could get from a cart in a lifetime. (My opinion subject to change if there is a pandemic of pneumonic plague)

How clean are most people?

Probably a double bell curve----1/2 the population centered at 3 1/2 out of 10, and the other half at 8 1/2.
I don't think having pets is dirty. BUT it takes a lot of work to keep their hair off of things. I am not a squeamish person. I like to be kissed by dogs. I don't mind cleaning up after our kitties. I hope no one else minds.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:45 PM
fw102807

I try to keep my house reasonably clean but do not see as well as I used to and can't bend quite as well. As for the germs I agree with those who said wiping the handle in the supermarket is a waste of time. Germs exist everywhere and I just try to wash my hands often.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I try to keep my house reasonably clean but do not see as well as I used to and can't bend quite as well. As for the germs I agree with those who said wiping the handle in the supermarket is a waste of time. Germs exist everywhere and I just try to wash my hands often.
I agree and unless our immune system is compromised, it is good for most of us to keep meeting and building resistance to new "bugs".

Tags
clean, homes, children, home, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.