Climate Change Discussions

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2022, 12:36 PM
Default Climate Change Discussions

I think this topic is very important and should not be categorized as political. The problem is that there are those who have made it political. It affects us all, as we can see with the latest hurricane, which caused so much damage and flooding because according to the experts contained more water and flooding effects because of global warming.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

True
Old 10-07-2022, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts

A very serious issue that is polarizing, sadly, along political line in many cases. If party A spokesperson points to a problem, the party B will try anything to discredit that person and party A. Later, party B may even return to the problem, after renaming it, and act like it is new and they discovered it. Such is politics. Never credit the other party for anything good, ever.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

I agree with your post, except I disagree with pointing to any single event and suggesting it was caused by Global Warming/Climate Change.

But, yes, some have chosen politics and common sense (*ahem) over science. The scientists may not be 100% correct, but they are not 100% wrong ether.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:55 PM
Sage

oxo

Last edited by fdpaq0580; 10-07-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:30 PM
Sage

Any single event could easily be the first, or one of many heretofore unrecognized symptoms of climate change. Actually, global warming/climate change was a thing before the first brave politician ever mentioned it. Brave because he knew he was signing his political death warrant and would be subjected to ridicule.
The question, can man effect the climate?
Can an insect effect the life of a building?
I say "yes" to both questions.
The building may have an expected lifespan. A single insect can't do much. But hundreds of thousands of termites can certainly contribute to the early demise of that structure.
Likewise, earth with a smattering of humans probably wouldn't notice us. But with billions scouring the earth and destroying habitats and devouring resources. Yes! I do think human activity is definitely having an effect. And billions more to come from the billions here already.
Like lemmings who over populated and destroyed their island home, they jump in the sea and hope to find another home. We live on an island in space. How soon before we over populate and the planet can't cope? We are not yet able to, figuratively speaking, jump off this island and start swimming.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

It's a shame we don't already have a thread on Climate Change...

Wait, what?

-Tom Petty
Old 10-08-2022, 04:47 AM

I don’t believe it’s settled science. There are many scientists who dispute the notion that mankind has an effect on climate. Unfortunately - the topic is a third rail - which prevents an honest and apolitical discussion on it. For example - being labeled a climate change denier. Always a label
Old 10-08-2022, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
I think this topic is very important and should not be categorized as political. The problem is that there are those who have made it political. It affects us all, as we can see with the latest hurricane, which caused so much damage and flooding because according to the experts contained more water and flooding effects because of global warming.
all you guys are pretty funny, thanks for the chuckle. A few of you have it correct - some agree some don't. The real fact here is that no one considers that hundreds of years ago Florida was only a nib not the long penninsula that it is today. You also don't count that a lot of the coast has been more or less manufactured. That part has nothing to do with any science, it's just human stupidity.

I raw numbers historically there is now enough data to quantify any of this, it's merely theory that those that need something to whine about are now whining about. Through the years this has been a topic I have noticed many facts appear from different sources some counting extremely minor degree changes (<3) to cycles being presented as well. No matter what data you think you have that potentially proves it, it actually doesn't due to other data.

To cut to the chase - it's real simple - any person that feels that a small group of people, 1 person, or a large group of people can actually change mother nature is far out of their mind. From all the activists on this topic I have seen and spoken to, I really want part of whatever it is they are smoking it's got to be killer. Respect Mother Nature, she shook her skin off centuries ago because she had a problem with what was on her....she can do it again. While the human species is actually dumb enough to wipe itself out, I think Mother Nature will beat them to it. Don't fight it, you definitely will not fix anything - not ever - not in our lifetime either. To think you will, again can I have some of what you are smoking?
Old 10-08-2022, 06:38 AM
Default Climate Change is not the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
Whether there is climate change or not is not a discussion that would be fruitful as some will quote "experts" who believe in climate change and others will quote other "experts" who don't believe climate change is manmade to the point of such urgent concern. Whether climate change is something that requiers immediate concern or not is best left to the experts to deal with. The United Nations can't get the world on board with it. So for the sake of argument, let's just say Climate Change is real and needs to be addressed. The real issue that needs to be addressed is how to mitigate the perceved change. Energy is what propells the world and we need energy now while future energy needs are well thought out, studied, and planned for including clean methods to extract the required earth elements to produce energy products. In today's world, a country needs to be energy independant because we simply can't depend on unreliable political ambitions of other countries.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbea View Post
Whether there is climate change or not is not a discussion that would be fruitful as some will quote "experts" who believe in climate change and others will quote other "experts" who don't believe climate change is manmade to the point of such urgent concern. Whether climate change is something that requiers immediate concern or not is best left to the experts to deal with. The United Nations can't get the world on board with it. So for the sake of argument, let's just say Climate Change is real and needs to be addressed. The real issue that needs to be addressed is how to mitigate the perceved change. Energy is what propells the world and we need energy now while future energy needs are well thought out, studied, and planned for including clean methods to extract the required earth elements to produce energy products. In today's world, a country needs to be energy independant because we simply can't depend on unreliable political ambitions of other countries.
Unfortunately, "energy independence" and "political ambitions" can be at odds with one another. After all, 3 years ago we were energy independent. Then the winds changed and we decided to follow a green agenda. So now we need to import oil once again.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Unfortunately, "energy independence" and "political ambitions" can be at odds with one another. After all, 3 years ago we were energy independent. Then the winds changed and we decided to follow a green agenda.
The wind always effects my shot at the green...........I always have a green agenda.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:49 AM

Nuclear power is the best way to replace fossil fuel usage (see IPCC, Apocalypse Never by Shellenberger, etc.).

We can argue about how much humans are affecting the climate or we can just go nuclear and have cheaper and cleaner energy. Gen IV reactors are the future.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:53 AM
Default Good thing we have climate change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Any single event could easily be the first, or one of many heretofore unrecognized symptoms of climate change. Actually, global warming/climate change was a thing before the first brave politician ever mentioned it. Brave because he knew he was signing his political death warrant and would be subjected to ridicule.
The question, can man effect the climate?
Can an insect effect the life of a building?
I say "yes" to both questions.
The building may have an expected lifespan. A single insect can't do much. But hundreds of thousands of termites can certainly contribute to the early demise of that structure.
Likewise, earth with a smattering of humans probably wouldn't notice us. But with billions scouring the earth and destroying habitats and devouring resources. Yes! I do think human activity is definitely having an effect. And billions more to come from the billions here already.
Like lemmings who over populated and destroyed their island home, they jump in the sea and hope to find another home. We live on an island in space. How soon before we over populate and the planet can't cope? We are not yet able to, figuratively speaking, jump off this island and start swimming.
Thank God we have climate change. At one point in time Wisconsin was covered in glaciers. The ice age destroyed the dinosaurs. Good thing it warmed up. Man really thinks he has a lot more influence on the earth's temperature than he does. A study recently came out from NOAA that showed we are in a period of fewer severe hurricanes. Another study came out indicating the earth's orbit and tilt on our axes has more to do with our temperature. I guess it's not settled science yet.
Old 10-08-2022, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Wonder if we go all green what the unintended consequences would be? We think we know so much more than we do.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.