Climate change speech

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-16-2023, 10:04 AM
Rainger99 Rainger99 is online now
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 654
Thanks: 0
Thanked 600 Times in 255 Posts
Default Climate change speech

Excellent talk on climate change. It is from the Oxford Union Society debates on January 12, 2023.

https://youtu.be/zJdqJu-6ZPo
  #2  
Old 01-16-2023, 12:03 PM
threeonemiles@outlook.com's Avatar
threeonemiles@outlook.com threeonemiles@outlook.com is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 59 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Excellent talk on climate change. It is from the Oxford Union Society debates on January 12, 2023.

https://youtu.be/zJdqJu-6ZPo
Excellent speech. Konstantin Kisin is speaking the truth. Sadly, speaking the Truth is now called hate speech.
__________________
Think while still legal. Be cautious, verify, do not comply. The generation that tolerates, the next one will embrace.
  #3  
Old 01-17-2023, 08:27 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 4,730
Thanks: 1,441
Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,086 Posts
Default

Global cooling, global warming, ahh just call it climate change. Send your money to save the world as they get on their jets and in their limos to preach what we are doing wrong.

It's all about the money.
  #4  
Old 01-17-2023, 08:49 AM
manaboutown's Avatar
manaboutown manaboutown is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Posts: 6,641
Thanks: 9,585
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,364 Posts
Default

Somebody sent me a link to that speech. I watched it twice. He is correct.
__________________
"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." Plato

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
  #5  
Old 01-17-2023, 09:53 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 46,801
Thanks: 7,866
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Excellent talk on climate change. It is from the Oxford Union Society debates on January 12, 2023.

https://youtu.be/zJdqJu-6ZPo
The title for that link is -- Konstantin Kisin | This House Believes Woke Culture Has Gone Too Far - 7/8 | Oxford Union
  #6  
Old 01-17-2023, 10:44 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 46,801
Thanks: 7,866
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Excellent talk on climate change. It is from the Oxford Union Society debates on January 12, 2023.

https://youtu.be/zJdqJu-6ZPo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quhtqsxdCG0

This is one of climate change. Konstantin Kisin Viral Speech About Global Warming And Climate Control
  #7  
Old 01-17-2023, 11:49 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 46,801
Thanks: 7,866
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,592 Posts
Default

I watched that. A lot of over-generalizations and poor logic.
  #8  
Old 01-17-2023, 01:06 PM
Keefelane66 Keefelane66 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 826
Thanks: 447
Thanked 911 Times in 352 Posts
Default

If it’s a debate where are the other opinions presented. It does sound good if it supports one beliefs
  #9  
Old 01-17-2023, 03:11 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 46,801
Thanks: 7,866
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
If it’s a debate where are the other opinions presented. It does sound good if it supports one beliefs
It is basically an appeal to emotion with little reasoning behind it. Only the poor can solve the Global Warming problem and especially those with no indoor plumbing. Right? How does that follow? It is almost like the comedian is pulling our leg as the reasoning is so out of Alice in Wonderland.
LOL.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 01-17-2023 at 03:18 PM.
  #10  
Old 01-17-2023, 03:25 PM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 2,322
Thanks: 480
Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,024 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It is basically an appeal to emotion with little reasoning behind it. Only the poor can solve the Global Warming problem and especially those with no indoor plumbing. Right? How does that follow?
That isn't what I took away from it, neither the appeal to emotion or that only the poor can solve Global Warming.

What I heard is that the countries that will need to make changes to solve global warming are the poorest of the countries. These countries need energy in order to survive but don't have the money to afford the luxury of clean energy. Because they are poor they will have to make the choice of putting food on the table and surviving or buying into clean energy. It is defies logic to think that they will choose clean energy over survival.

The solution then is not to whine about the England or the US doing more and it is not to expect China or Russia or Central America to give up on fossil fuels or force them to do that. The solution is not to sit and complain but to research and develop inexpensive clean energy sources.

That's what I took away from the video.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
  #11  
Old 01-17-2023, 03:31 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 46,801
Thanks: 7,866
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
That isn't what I took away from it, neither the appeal to emotion or that only the poor can solve Global Warming.

What I heard is that the countries that will need to make changes to solve global warming are the poorest of the countries. These countries need energy in order to survive but don't have the money to afford the luxury of clean energy. Because they are poor they will have to make the choice of putting food on the table and surviving or buying into clean energy. It is defies logic to think that they will choose clean energy over survival.

The solution then is not to whine about the England or the US doing more and it is not to expect China or Russia or Central America to give up on fossil fuels or force them to do that. The solution is not to sit and complain but to research and develop inexpensive clean energy sources.

That's what I took away from the video.
They are doing that all over the world. Looking for solutions to the pressing problem of global warming for people in all countries.

Still think that the comedian is following Jonathan Swift and proposing absurd
solutions.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 01-17-2023 at 03:36 PM.
  #12  
Old 01-17-2023, 03:40 PM
Rainger99 Rainger99 is online now
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 654
Thanks: 0
Thanked 600 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
If it’s a debate where are the other opinions presented.
As requested, if you want the other opinions, see the Oxford Union’s YouTube channel.

I will say the arguments are presented far more eloquently at Oxford than in most other forums.

OxfordUnion - YouTube
  #13  
Old 01-17-2023, 04:00 PM
Bill14564 Bill14564 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Village of Hillsborough
Posts: 2,322
Thanks: 480
Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,024 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
They are doing that all over the world. Looking for solutions to the pressing problem of global warming for people in all countries.

Still think that the comedian is following Jonathan Swift and proposing absurd
solutions.
Is throwing soup and flour on art part of looking for solutions to the pressing problem of global warming?

I just re-watched the video for the third time. The ONLY solution I heard presented was to work and to build and to create a source of energy that is not only clean but is cheap. Our opinions clearly differ because that doesn't seem absurd to me.
__________________
Why do people insist on making claims without looking them up first, do they really think no one will check? Proof by emphatic assertion rarely works.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 01-17-2023 at 04:20 PM.
  #14  
Old 01-17-2023, 04:22 PM
JMintzer's Avatar
JMintzer JMintzer is online now
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Posts: 6,682
Thanks: 437
Thanked 5,400 Times in 2,748 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
That isn't what I took away from it, neither the appeal to emotion or that only the poor can solve Global Warming.

What I heard is that the countries that will need to make changes to solve global warming are the poorest of the countries. These countries need energy in order to survive but don't have the money to afford the luxury of clean energy. Because they are poor they will have to make the choice of putting food on the table and surviving or buying into clean energy. It is defies logic to think that they will choose clean energy over survival.

The solution then is not to whine about the England or the US doing more and it is not to expect China or Russia or Central America to give up on fossil fuels or force them to do that. The solution is not to sit and complain but to research and develop inexpensive clean energy sources.

That's what I took away from the video.
^^^ What he said^^^
__________________
Most things I worry about
Never happen anyway...

-Tom Petty
  #15  
Old 01-17-2023, 04:27 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 46,801
Thanks: 7,866
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Is throwing soup and flour on art part of looking for solutions to the pressing problem of global warming?

I just re-watched the video for the third time. The ONLY solution I heard presented was to work and to build and to create a source of energy that is not only clean but is cheap. Our opinions clearly differ because that doesn't seem absurd to me.
They are doing that. Working on cheap solutions along with many others.
Closed Thread

Tags
climate, change, january, debates, society


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.