Coffee Maker?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Love my Keruig
We are also devoted coffee drinkers and we both adore the Keurig.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran member

First have great filtered water. Second have fresh roasted beans, not the stale coffee you buy in grocery stores. And last but not least youse the best machine you can get.
Moccamaster(C) - The Official Website | The #1-Reviewed Coffee Making Machine
Old 10-21-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Yes, to the above post and my neighbor buys green coffee beans and roasts them to the level he prefers, not too hard to do. Also uses French press.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

French press is maybe the best but it’s just 2-3 cups at a time.
I have been roasting for 20 years. Coffee gets stale after 5 days.
We get our beans from coffee bean direct and a small organic farm in Hilo Hawaii.
The mocha master is the best drip coffee maker available, makes 10 cups in 6 minutes at the perfect temperature.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage

Kona coffee! Yummy!
Old 10-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Yessssss it’s our weekend coffee., during the week we have 3-4 different brews. Our favorite right now is Kenya AA.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

I'm a Philistine as far as cofee is concerned.
Folgers Instant fills all my needs. Kettle, cup, teaspoon. Done!
Old 10-22-2019, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusX1 View Post
First have great filtered water. Second have fresh roasted beans, not the stale coffee you buy in grocery stores. And last but not least youse the best machine you can get.
Moccamaster(C) - The Official Website | The #1-Reviewed Coffee Making Machine
I have that moccamaster. In fact, I regrettably have two of them, one at each house. They cost $300, are handmade in the Netherlands, and will unfortunately last forever. It makes the worst coffee I have ever had, and I've tried 20 different brands of coffee, including grinding beans. The lid is a pain to screw on and unscrew. I love the looks of the thing, but I really dislike the coffee it produces. Can't figure out why.

You can't program them (not that I would, but it's good to know). They look SO cool, and they are slim and don't take up much space. I'm trying like hell to like them. The first one I've been trying to like for 7 years. I was gifted the second one.

We also have a Delonghi espresso machine that I love.De'Longhi Dedica Deluxe Espresso Maker | Crate and Barrel It also is slim. Works very well. I love it, but I can't drink espresso for too many days in a row.

Edit: The moccamaster can't figure out how to make 8 cups of coffee. I'm the only coffee drinker of the two of us. I can make four cups, but the thing balks at 8 cups when we have company. Also, the part that holds the coffee has a couple of strength settings. It doesn't stay set where it's supposed to. I finally duct taped it to the right spot. If it gets in the wrong spot, it fills up the coffee ground holder and drips nothing down into the caraffe. I'm really disappointed in both of them, sorry to say.

My son just bought a Bunn home machine. He loves it. I'm trying to get past the price I paid for the mocca and GoodWill it.

Last edited by CFrance; 10-22-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I have that moccamaster. In fact, I regrettably have two of them, one at each house. They cost $300, are handmade in the Netherlands, and will unfortunately last forever. It makes the worst coffee I have ever had, and I've tried 20 different brands of coffee, including grinding beans. The lid is a pain to screw on and unscrew. I love the looks of the thing, but I really dislike the coffee it produces. Can't figure out why.

You can't program them (not that I would, but it's good
to know). They look SO cool, and they are slim and don't take up much space. I'm trying like hell to like them. The first one I've been trying to like for 7 years. I was gifted the second one.

We also have a Delonghi espresso machine that I love.De'Longhi Dedica Deluxe Espresso Maker | Crate and Barrel It also is slim. Works very well. I love it, but I can't drink espresso for too many days in a row.

Edit: The moccamaster can't figure out how to make 8 cups of coffee. I'm the only coffee drinker of the two of us. I can make four cups, but the thing balks at 8 cups when we have company. Also, the part that holds the coffee has a couple of strength settings. It doesn't stay set where it's supposed to. I finally duct taped it to the right spot. If it gets in the wrong spot, it fills up the coffee ground holder and drips nothing down into the caraffe. I'm really disappointed in both of them, sorry to say.

My son just bought a Bunn home machine. He loves it. I'm trying to get past the price I paid for the mocca and GoodWill it.
I guess I don’t understand, if you put 8 or 10 cups of water in the water holder it makes that amount of coffee, there is no automatic shut off. Maybe your older model is different from ours. We have no strength setting, just the amount of grounds, more grounds more strength. We do grind more medium than fine. We love ours as much as you dislike yours. That’s why there are so many different manufacturers I guess.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
I guess I don’t understand, if you put 8 or 10 cups of water in the water holder it makes that amount of coffee, there is no automatic shut off. Maybe your older model is different from ours. We have no strength setting, just the amount of grounds, more grounds more strength. We do grind more medium than fine. We love ours as much as you dislike yours. That’s why there are so many different manufacturers I guess.
What happens when I try to make 8 or 10 cups of coffee, which it is supposed to do, is the basket fills up before the water has a chance to filter through the coffee, and eventually overflows into the holder, allowing grounds to go all over the inside of the holder plus down into the carafe. Also, the lid is very wonky to screw on and off. The threading is not properly aligned. One of them screws on a little better than the other. If you unscrew the lid just a little too far to get the coffee to pour faster, sometimes the lid falls off into your cup. I feel there should be some lever to press that would open up a hole in the lid, like most coffeemakers have. Having to unscrew the lid to pour and then pour it back on is inconvenient and lets heat out.

I would think I got a bad one, but they are both like that, and the second one actually came directly from the Netherlands. My first one has the three strength settings. The newer one doesn't have any strength settings at all, which I would find to be a minus except for the fact that the first one won't hold its medium or dark setting without being taped in place.

You are right, different strokes for different folks. The machine was top rated everywhere I looked online, which is why I bought the first one. So I'm obviously in the minority. I have tried paper filters (the mfr suggests) and gold filter, and many different brands of coffee... the coffee just tastes weird.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Ours has 2 lids for the carafe, one has a hole in it for brewing, the other is solid and is to be used for traveling, it keeps the heat in but you can’t brew with it.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Ours has 2 lids for the carafe, one has a hole in it for brewing, the other is solid and is to be used for traveling, it keeps the heat in but you can’t brew with it.
Yes, ours have two lids also--one for brewing with a hole in it, but you can't serve from it. The other is a lid with no hole or lever to facilitate pouring.

I forgot to mention the other thing that drives me nuts, but maybe yours doesn't do this--you have to turn it off manually. If you don't, the "on" light will switch off, but the machine won't. So later on, when you put water in and fill the coffee container, it will start brewing! (I always set it up the night before.)

It's been a learning experience for sure!
Old 10-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Default Stick with Cuisinart

Hubby and I have a french press, keurig, cuisinart and in the past we had a starbucks percolating machine, mr coffee and a black and decker. French press is okay but has a different kind of taste and if you prefer brewed coffee, you won’t prefer it over that. Of all the coffee makers, we liked starbucks and cuisinart the best. Cuisinart gets better reviews than others. I’d recommend staying with it.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:59 PM
Sage

We have Cuisinart too for drip coffee. We use French press for dinner or fine dinning, the Rocket for my cappuccino when I’m up to the effort and we have the very fresh milk and distilled water, Mixpresso for quick one cup coffee when you have only a minute or so, and the Cusinart when hubby feels like grinding the beans. They all taste different.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes, ours have two lids also--one for brewing with a hole in it, but you can't serve from it. The other is a lid with no hole or lever to facilitate pouring.

I forgot to mention the other thing that drives me nuts, but maybe yours doesn't do this--you have to turn it off manually. If you don't, the "on" light will switch off, but the machine won't. So later on, when you put water in and fill the coffee container, it will start brewing! (I always set it up the night before.)

It's been a learning experience for sure!
Our lid with the hole pours out around the edges, no need to loosen it. Yes you do need to manually turn it off.
Closed Thread

Tags
coffee, maker, carafe, stainless, steel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.