College Admissions Scandal

View Poll Results: How Much Jail Time should the guilty parties get???
No Jail Time 8 16.67%
Minimum Time 4 8.33%
Maximum Time 3 6.25%
Jail Time & $$$$$ 33 68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
All of the Federal money provided for college education does not go directly to the schools. For example, the veterans program and other programs allow money for living expenses and other expenses and the students can spend it anyway they want.
Then you should go after the federal government on federal aid because the government disagrees with you....

In post previous I supplied you with the link.....so if exceptions allow that information on here but on another thread, please as this is simply about those involved in the scandal
Old 04-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,684 Times in 5,232 Posts

I'll try to stay on topic. The thread is about whether or not the actors should go to jail for what they did. In my opinion, they should not because the harm they caused is a mere drop in the bucket as compared to the overall corruption within the college system, including admissions, tuition, salaries, tenure, wasteful spending, and the athletic programs.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'll try to stay on topic. The thread is about whether or not the actors should go to jail for what they did. In my opinion, they should not because the harm they caused is a mere drop in the bucket as compared to the overall corruption within the college system, including admissions, tuition, salaries, tenure, wasteful spending, and the athletic programs.
So...Fraud, Bribery and money laundering is ok with you ?

Interesting philosophy on justice you hold.

Folks who commit these federal crimes would applaud you, but your vision of justice and the law is skewed quite a bit.

Please before I say more...make your case for thevforgiving of these crimes.

Also, please validate and supply information on the "corruption" within the college system. Accusations are so easy to make until you need to make your case, WHICH AGAIN US NOT THE TOPIC IF THIS THREAD.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:59 PM
Sage

This is an opinion thread with a vote. And, it looks like 17 percent of those who voted said there should be no jail time. In a court, I think that would equate to a hung jury, and they would not go to jail. Different people have different opinions.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:09 PM
Sage

With respect to fraud and bribery, I think the people who were bribed were athletic coaches who worked for the schools, and the people who were defrauded were the school admission officials who were defrauded by the coaches. Shouldn't the school management be held liable for hiring dishonest coaches and incompetent admissions personnel? Just asking, and I don't know if any top level college officials are being charged. But, normally, managers have some responsibilty for what people they hire do.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
This is an opinion thread with a vote. And, it looks like 17 percent of those who voted said there should be no jail time. In a court, I think that would equate to a hung jury, and they would not go to jail. Different people have different opinions.
I am quite sure a TOTV poll would be integral to the justice system. I suggest you read a bit.....

Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman: 1 Scandal, 2 Actresses, Diverging Paths - The New York Times

this will spell out some differences between the offenses committed.

Again, on opinions....based on your post,it is your opinion that Fraud, money laundering and bribery should not be used even if the charges are easily proven.

This logic escapes me....we are living with Fraud, conspiracy and-money laundering and you wantour justice system to simply ignore it. They are serious crimes and while many on here don't think so, I still do, no matter who does it.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
With respect to fraud and bribery, I think the people who were bribed were athletic coaches who worked for the schools, and the people who were defrauded were the school admission officials who were defrauded by the coaches. Shouldn't the school management be held liable for hiring dishonest coaches and incompetent admissions personnel? Just asking, and I don't know if any top level college officials are being charged. But, normally, managers have some responsibilty for what people they hire do.
They are going to jail...I implore you to read more..they have been indicted. This is a local story,but every single person involved has been indicted

Local parents, Stanford coach indicted in college-admissions scandal | News | Palo Alto Online |
Old 04-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Sage

From what I read, the coaches and some of the test proctors have been indicted. I didn't see that any admissions officials or higher level school management people were indicted. I find it very difficult to believe that the people on the school admissions board or committee are not culpable. They must be extremely incompetent. If I were on the board, I don't think that I would ever admit a student on a athletic scholarship who didn't even play the sport. Really?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
From what I read, the coaches and some of the test proctors have been indicted. I didn't see that any admissions officials or higher level school management people were indicted. I find it very difficult to believe that the people on the school admissions board or committee are not culpable. They must be extremely incompetent. If I were on the board, I don't think that I would ever admit a student on a athletic scholarship who didn't even play the sport. Really?
Well, maybe you could offer to help with the investigation so those who you must feel are not competent can go on to investigate real crooks, not these that you excuse because of other reasons.

Listen.....We have talked this into the ground, but allow me to state what my beliefs on this an so many other things we may have touched on.....

....I do not believe in making accusations of any kind without supplying darn good reasons to do so. I will, if possible challenge any accusation that is not accompanied by some kind of credibility. Making serious false accusations is sick as hell in my opinion. You have to be very mean spirited to do that (without some sort of reason actually related to the charge made)

....I believe, despite the recent attacks on, our justice system. They have a damn good track record and are dedicated to serving our laws. Having worked closely with many I speak proudly of them.

......I believe in being informed on what you are speaking of. So many times the threads on here are pretty much a reflection of some cable news show the night before (see Smollet). I do not think you should be speaking of public issues without any knowledge as you simply cloud everything and lose credibility (trust me on this...I KNOW.....been called a lot and still am but never a liar or never ill informed.

.....I believe on TOTV, so many change avenues and directions on threads to make a statement complete devoid of facts and relativity. We have been asked to stay on subject and I think we should honor that.

.....One more thing on the justice system. I believe in punishing those who break the law....I dismiss your comment on not punishing Bribery, Fraud and Money Laundering. When possible, all of those should be brought to bear and punished.

Sorry for the lecture........A poster yesterday or the day before in a tirade on me said I used to many words.....I think she was right, but I maintain it takes more words for me because I do not make stuff up or make simply false accusations.

These are very serious crimes, and to the thread title, I think they should get the maximum penalty allowed by law. We cannot allow such serious crimes go unpunished

Take care...might see you later on here
Old 04-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
So, if I murdered a 90-year-old dying of cancer by shooting him in the head with an AR-15, I shouldn't go to jail because it's not as bad as the guy who shoots a 40-year-old doctor who is healthy.

Just because B is not as offensive as A, doesn't make A no longer a crime.
Not sure murder is a fair comparison to bribery/corruption. Yes they are both crimes but violent crimes are generally heinous. White collar crimes, not so much..

The punishment should fit the crime.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Not sure murder is a fair comparison to bribery/corruption. Yes they are both crimes but violent crimes are generally heinous. White collar crimes, not so much..

Not disagreeing with you, but for clarity...

It's...

BRIBERY, FRAUD, AND MONEY LAUNDERING.

Maybe the epitome of white collar crimes ?

And Jazuela was referring to the logic used to seemingly excuse all of the charges by another poster, and was NOT making any direct comparison.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,420 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but for clarity...

It's...

BRIBERY, FRAUD, AND MONEY LAUNDERING.

Maybe the epitome of white collar crimes ?

And Jazuela was referring to the logic used to seemingly excuse all of the charges by another poster, and was NOT making any direct comparison.
Thank you for your reply.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post

You're a smart man, make a good point...and just gave me an excellent idea.

If I decide in my old age to ever rob a bank, I'll try to remember to root around in my closet ahead of time and...ensure that I'm wearing a white collar shirt.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

This might explain a lot...regarding one of the perps.

Lori Loughlin Was 'In Denial' And 'Thought The DA Was Bluffing' (poke here)
Quote:

Lori Loughlin of “Full House” didn’t believe she would see time in the big house. That’s why she and husband Mossimo Giannulli rejected a plea deal in the college admission bribery scheme, multiple outlets reported, citing unnamed sources.

“She has been in complete denial and thought maybe she could skate by,” an unnamed source told E! on Wednesday.

“She refused to accept any jail time and thought the DA was bluffing.

She was adamant she wouldn’t do any jail time.”

"But, but, but...don't you know who I am?"
Closed Thread

Tags
jail, time, admissions, scandal, collage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.