College Admissions Scandal

View Poll Results: How Much Jail Time should the guilty parties get???
No Jail Time 8 16.67%
Minimum Time 4 8.33%
Maximum Time 3 6.25%
Jail Time & $$$$$ 33 68.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Methinks instead of spending $500k bribing school officials to get your two daughters into college, spending a fraction of that on tutors and hard studying to bring their SAT's up...would have been money much better spent.

It seems to me that the reason this wasn't done, is because the mother has obviously been protecting/making excuses for her two daughters...all of their lives.

The lessons and example of how if you have money, "the rules don't apply," that their mother has ingrained...far exceeds any other formal education that they will ever receive.

I kinda feel sorry for the daughters in a way, because they will have to work hard the rest of their lives, to be successful on their own...so as to try & shake the stench of being 'entitled/spoiled little brats.'

"Thanks a lot Mom."
Old 04-10-2019, 05:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Methinks instead of spending $500k bribing school officials to get your two daughters into college, spending a fraction of that on tutors and hard studying to bring their SAT's up...would have been money much better spent.

Give them a fish or a fishing pole.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Since they have the money, if there is jail time............maybe they should pay for their costs in jail as well.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

It can happen, but beautiful people rarely go to jail.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
It can happen, but beautiful people rarely go to jail.
How Lori Loughlin Is Reacting to College Scam Charges

Lori Loughlin may end up going to prison. She could wind up at Coleman.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Easy to get-reduces the value.
Students to go into debt. In the real world there are many options. Military service comes to mind. I went to a community college for a two year degree. Cost was very reasonable. I then transferred to a four year school and got my 4 year degree there.

Bills?
I worked and saved all through high school. I had roughly 10,000 in savings FROM WORK. In today's dollars that is roughly 60,000. After getting my degree, I planed on relaxing a bit.
The cam e the bank note-congratulation on your graduation your first payment on YOUR LOAN is due ????????? I had my degree. I owed 13,000 in today's dollars roughly 80,000. I got married, my net worth was negative numbers. We lived cheap, I worked a second part time job and WE PAID OUR BILLS.
FAIR? In my world fair is you make your choices and YOU pay the price of the choices you made. I for one do not understand the current thought that you should benefit when things go well and someone else should pay for your mistakes.
Was college a mistake? I can't answer that. A path not taken is my best thought on that.
Well said. I don't think people should be able to continue to get money for college loans if they are failing. I see people on Judge Judy who are in their thirties and forties and in a college program and using the money to take vacations and get botox.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well said. I don't think people should be able to continue to get money for college loans if they are failing. I see people on Judge Judy who are in their thirties and forties and in a college program and using the money to take vacations and get botox.

The government agrees with Judge Judy..

"You need to make satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving federal student aid. In other words, you have to make good enough grades, and complete enough classes (credits, hours, etc.), to keep moving toward successfully completing your degree or certificate in a time period that’s acceptable to your school."

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibi...aying-eligible

While student loans have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, thought maybe if maybe wants to begin a thread on that ubject instead of hijacking this one....this may be a good start
Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
I still remember years ago watching Federal agents towing and repossessing a Mercedes from a multi-million dollar house in Atlanta to collect on a student loan. The house was owned by a very successful, middle aged doctor. I also remember a 68 year old woman, who called in to a legal talk show. She wanted to sell a piece of property to retire, but wanted the lawyer to advise her on how to avoid the proceeds from being used to pay off her student loan. If you have a student loan, pay it off. The total student loan debt is now more than 1.5 trillion dollars, and about 12 percent of the loans are in default.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I still remember years ago watching Federal agents towing and repossessing a Mercedes from a multi-million dollar house in Atlanta to collect on a student loan. The house was owned by a very successful, middle aged doctor. I also remember a 68 year old woman, who called in to a legal talk show. She wanted to sell a piece of property to retire, but wanted the lawyer to advise her on how to avoid the proceeds from being used to pay off her student loan. If you have a student loan, pay it off. The total student loan debt is now more than 1.5 trillion dollars, and about 12 percent of the loans are in default.
How about you begin a thread on how to pay for college at todays cost if you are not rich....this thread is about a few crimes committed, not to get into college, but to insure entrance in specific schools.

Glad the law caught them......
Old 04-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
"....using the money to take vacations and get botox"

" When a borrower takes out a student loan, the money is disbursed directly to the college, meaning the college receives its money immediately. The borrower then becomes responsible for repaying the loan. In the case of a federal student loan, the federal government is responsible for ensuring the borrower repays the loan in full."

How The Federal Government Could Control College Costs
Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
The government agrees with Judge Judy..

"You need to make satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving federal student aid. In other words, you have to make good enough grades, and complete enough classes (credits, hours, etc.), to keep moving toward successfully completing your degree or certificate in a time period that’s acceptable to your school."

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibi...aying-eligible

While student loans have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, thought maybe if maybe wants to begin a thread on that ubject instead of hijacking this one....this may be a good start
I'm not sure that I agree that the thread has nothing to do with student loans. I think that the only reason people were charged with a crime is because the colleges use Federal money. If they were totally private schools, what would be the crime? Much of the money that funds colleges comes from Federal student loans. If you want to put these actors in jail, then you should also put others in jail who abuse the system that uses Federal funds for college. This includes some students and some of the people who manage the schools. There is plenty of waste and corruption in the college system. I am just saying that, when you decide to put people in jail, you need to consider the overall system, and who is abusing it the most.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm not sure that I agree that the thread has nothing to do with student loans. I think that the only reason people were charged with a crime is because the colleges use Federal money. If they were totally private schools, what would be the crime? Much of the money that funds colleges comes from Federal student loans. If you want to put these actors in jail, then you should also put others in jail who abuse the system that uses Federal funds for college. This includes some students and some of the people who manage the schools. There is plenty of waste and corruption in the college system. I am just saying that, when you decide to put people in jail, you need to consider the overall system, and who is abusing it the most.
WOW.....People paying off to get their kids in SELECTED colleges and NOT to get a loan is what this is about....NOT ABOUT STUDENT LOANS....start another thread.

READ...READ..PLEASE AND explain why someone would pay such large sums to get a loan....think about the stupidity of that
Old 04-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
"....using the money to take vacations and get botox"

" When a borrower takes out a student loan, the money is disbursed directly to the college, meaning the college receives its money immediately. The borrower then becomes responsible for repaying the loan. In the case of a federal student loan, the federal government is responsible for ensuring the borrower repays the loan in full."

How The Federal Government Could Control College Costs
All of the Federal money provided for college education does not go directly to the schools. For example, the veterans program and other programs allow money for living expenses and other expenses and the students can spend it anyway they want.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:

WHY YOU ASK.

FRAUD, BRIBERY AND now added money laundering which we should be used to by now......paying money to a foundation that is supposed to have a purpose of charitable....but then sending the money to the other felons involved.

I may seem weird to you now but FRAUD, BRIBERY AND MONEY LAUNDERING ARE AGAINST THE LAW
Closed Thread

Tags
jail, time, admissions, scandal, collage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.