Liberty University

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2020, 10:36 AM
Default Liberty University

I was remembering all the criticism from the media talking heads two months ago concerning Liberty staying open. I checked today on how they did. They recently ended classes for the summer and had no cases of COVID 19 out of 1100 students and faculty.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:28 AM

Possibly you read the Washington Examiner article from 5/11. What I noticed in reading it was the it didn't state if any student was tested. It just shows a chart that no student on-campus tested positive for COVID 19.

According to President Trump yesterday, "When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn't do any testing we would have very few cases." Liberty University may use that philosphy in their 'model' as no statement was made on how many tests were conducted.

So Liberty can spin it, but even without a case, it does not mean it was the smart or right thing to do. This is a global health crisis; not a political conspiracy to take away your liberties and push a partisan view.

Even a drunk person can drive a car and not kill someone else for their carelessness, but that doesn't mean drunk driving is harmless. Drunk driving kills people every day and COVID has now killed approximately 90000 people in the US in the same time period since Liberty U reopened. The death toll is still climbing.

If a person takes a risk that kills them, that is their choice; their liberty to choose. If a person takes an unnecessary risk that exposes and kills someone else, the question is who gave them the right to take the innocent persons liberty?

So please don't spin your partisan anecdotal arguments during a global health event. This is a man versus nature issue; not a man vs man issue.

Liberty University, wrongly declared a virus disaster, now the ‘model’ to follow: Jerry Falwell
Old 05-16-2020, 11:50 AM

Perfect! Thanks for the clarity & accuracy of your words. Not everyone sees or understands the fine difference between "no student on-campus tested positive for COVID 19" per the Washington Examiner , and declaring "if any student was tested."

No tests = no positive cases of covid-19.

The same logic as the President used ""When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn't do any testing we would have very few cases."

No tests = no positive cases of covid-19.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
Possibly you read the Washington Examiner article from 5/11. What I noticed in reading it was the it didn't state if any student was tested. It just shows a chart that no student on-campus tested positive for COVID 19.

According to President Trump yesterday, "When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn't do any testing we would have very few cases." Liberty University may use that philosphy in their 'model' as no statement was made on how many tests were conducted.

So Liberty can spin it, but even without a case, it does not mean it was the smart or right thing to do. This is a global health crisis; not a political conspiracy to take away your liberties and push a partisan view.

Even a drunk person can drive a car and not kill someone else for their carelessness, but that doesn't mean drunk driving is harmless. Drunk driving kills people every day and COVID has now killed approximately 90000 people in the US in the same time period since Liberty U reopened. The death toll is still climbing.

If a person takes a risk that kills them, that is their choice; their liberty to choose. If a person takes an unnecessary risk that exposes and kills someone else, the question is who gave them the right to take the innocent persons liberty?

So please don't spin your partisan anecdotal arguments during a global health event. This is a man versus nature issue; not a man vs man issue.

Liberty University, wrongly declared a virus disaster, now the ‘model’ to follow: Jerry Falwell
I so agree with the highlighted words especially. Some day....I would like to shake your hand...…..No. I mean bow to you.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:

There area lot of people these days, who subscribe to the philosophy of; "ignorance is bliss."

Consequently, there's many walking around very happy-with assault rifles and ammo belts strapped on.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:56 PM

"When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn't do any testing we would have very few cases."

Something to ponder.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:14 AM

They did indeed have COVID cases.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:36 AM

In Virginia they are only testing those referred by a doctor. So, if no one had any symptoms and were not referred, then why would they test? Your logic is somewhat the same as we see in everyone's paranoia. Not everyone has the virus. Why are you so opposed to a lot of people do not and will not get this virus?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:05 AM

Thomp679, you are spot on!
Old 05-17-2020, 09:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:

My head is spinning after reading this, I think I've got the whirlies.

Up until very recently, in most places you don't get a test unless you have symptoms. Liberty followed this protocol, and tested a few students who had symptoms, and also quarantined them for 14 days. Most of the students took their classes online. If you are accusing Liberty U of carelessness due to lack of testing, look no further than your back yard as only a small percentage of Villagers have been tested.

The death rate for Covid 19 patients in their 20s is 0.06. Overall death rate for influenza is 0.1 and in some cases, like the swine flu, attacked and killed younger people the most.

When you have reports of actual cases and deaths caused by Liberty U staying open let us know. All you have now is a whole lot of spinning with the usual "they're going to kill us all"

New York Times misleads public about extent of COVID-19 symptoms among Liberty University students | Liberty University
Old 05-17-2020, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

I’ll bet the writer mad about closing Liberty U down wasn’t as concerned about the rights of those decadent students being tossed out of swinging South Beach
Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

LU was a model on how colleges should have responded. It also kept many of their low salaried employees working.

"Despite the precautions at the university, The Central Virginia Health District (CVHD) sent two inspectors for an unannounced (emphsis mine) look at conditions on campus. CVHD said inspectors looked at dining halls and public areas and they found no violations of the governor's executive order."

'Liberty is like a ghost town'; LU student says campus is clean, safe | WSET

"It is way safer for me and my family that I am here instead of up there where all of this is going on,” he said.
He said all classes are now online, and campus has changed.
"There is hardly anyone on campus and you can't go anywhere without seeing people who are cleaning,” he said.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley77 View Post
Please don't spin YOUR partisan claptrap either!
Liberty University is guilty of being a devout Christian university with a politically conservative administration. Facts do not matter.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:49 AM
Default Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
Liberty University is guilty of being a devout Christian university with a politically conservative administration. Facts do not matter.
Since when is it considered to be a CRIME for a person or organization to be GUILTY of being a Christian or Conservative in this country??!!
Old 05-17-2020, 11:10 AM

This is a man versus nature issue; not a man vs man issue.
So in your analogy of using drunk driving as a comparison to Covid19; is drunk driving a man vs nature issue?
Closed Thread

Tags
liberty, recently, ended, classes, summer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.