College-Linked Retirement Communities

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2021, 12:49 PM
Veteran member
Default College-Linked Retirement Communities

I just heard about these types of retirement communities, and I was wondering if anyone has more information about them, other than from what I can find on the internet. Maybe someone lived near one, or one's alma mater is now a cooperating retirement/edcational institution.

After living in Florida for over 35 years, I think I want to explore these types of communities, where one can attend colleges or universities for free, while living in a community near them. I know Penn State has one. I am looking to explore from Virginia to Maine. So, if you know of any, please let me know.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
I just heard about these types of retirement communities, and I was wondering if anyone has more information about them, other than from what I can find on the internet. Maybe someone lived near one, or one's alma mater is now a cooperating retirement/edcational institution.

After living in Florida for over 35 years, I think I want to explore these types of communities, where one can attend colleges or universities for free, while living in a community near them. I know Penn State has one. I am looking to explore from Virginia to Maine. So, if you know of any, please let me know.
The average Jan low in State College PA is about 20F. May be a big change for you.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Senior Living Community — Orlando, FL | Legacy Pointe at UCF
Old 09-22-2021, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Continuing Care Retirement Community in Gainesville, FL | Oak Hammock

I have heard about this one as some friends from the dog park were thinking about moving up there.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Our home up north is close to the five college community in Western Massachusetts (UMASS, Smith, Amherst, Mt. Holyoke, and Hampshire). Living around such a high population density of brainwashed youth can be difficult. In addition, people our age are a forgotten afterthought in that demographic, we represent the target market for nothing. Wherever you go you feel like a dinosaur.

In and around the Villages, we are the target market for just about everything and the world seems to revolve around our age groups needs and desires, and we don’t feel so friggen old. Give me the Villages over a College centric community 7 days a week and twice on Sundays : )
Old 09-22-2021, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,687 Times in 5,234 Posts

I like being a dinosaur, and have no interest in going back to school.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:34 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I wonder if I would still fit in and enjoy the lifestyle? Animal House (2/10) Movie CLIP - A Real Zero (1978) HD - YouTube

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-22-2021, 01:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
our home up north is close to the five college community in western massachusetts (umass, smith, amherst, mt. Holyoke, and hampshire). Living around such a high population density of brainwashed youth can be difficult. In addition, people our age are a forgotten afterthought in that demographic, we represent the target market for nothing. Wherever you go you feel like a dinosaur.

In and around the villages, we are the target market for just about everything and the world seems to revolve around our age groups needs and desires, and we don’t feel so friggen old. Give me the villages over a college centric community 7 days a week and twice on sundays : )
lol.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Our home up north is close to the five college community in Western Massachusetts (UMASS, Smith, Amherst, Mt. Holyoke, and Hampshire). Living around such a high population density of brainwashed youth can be difficult. In addition, people our age are a forgotten afterthought in that demographic, we represent the target market for nothing. Wherever you go you feel like a dinosaur.

In and around the Villages, we are the target market for just about everything and the world seems to revolve around our age groups needs and desires, and we don’t feel so friggen old. Give me the Villages over a College centric community 7 days a week and twice on Sundays : )
The sign of a great brainwashing job is when you think you are the normal one!
Old 09-22-2021, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
The average Jan low in State College PA is about 20F. May be a big change for you.
Since I don't have to work in it, I think I can handle it. But with global warming, it might get warmer there in Jan.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:10 PM
Veteran member

Thanks GracieGirl and Taltarzac725. I'll check them out for the info, but I think I want the cooler weather, and be closer to the ocean.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post

OP,
Living close to UT (Univ of TN) such as 3 miles from the main campus is an experience that will always be cherished. Moved to TN was part of a corp transfer but truly enjoyed the proximity to the Univ, not to mention the medical center they have. Check it out, UT is right next to downtown Knoxville, 4 moderate seasons, 45 min to smoky mt nat park.
Below is a link to Market Sq which is downtown. A visit on a football weekend is an experience, actually a lot of students with parents also during the weekends.
In reference to an earlier post, I went to school at PSU, and would have no desire to live at State College.
PM me if you want. There are some nice hotels for a visit,
I hope this helps!

market square knoxville tn - Google Search
Old 09-23-2021, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

The Forest at Duke <forestduke.org>
Old 09-23-2021, 06:46 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:

Well said...
Old 09-23-2021, 06:48 PM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGary View Post
OP,
Living close to UT (Univ of TN) such as 3 miles from the main campus is an experience that will always be cherished. Moved to TN was part of a corp transfer but truly enjoyed the proximity to the Univ, not to mention the medical center they have. Check it out, UT is right next to downtown Knoxville, 4 moderate seasons, 45 min to smoky mt nat park.
Below is a link to Market Sq which is downtown. A visit on a football weekend is an experience, actually a lot of students with parents also during the weekends.
In reference to an earlier post, I went to school at PSU, and would have no desire to live at State College.
PM me if you want. There are some nice hotels for a visit,
I hope this helps!

market square knoxville tn - Google Search
Yep and right next to the OCEAN where he wants to go...
Closed Thread

Tags
communities, living, retirement, explore, types

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.