Comcast - good news

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Why was this thread considered Good News, sounds like the same old Comcast to me.

The good news is that I managed to correct their "error" without spending too long on the phone but, you're right, it's the same old Comcast, up to its usual tricks.

Per today's Daily Sun, Comcast signed up the fewest new internet customers in the second quarter. And they probably lost more in disgruntled old customers.

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 07-27-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Dude View Post
Between Lawn Care Companies and Cable Companies we are getting old fast.

I have an e mail of debbie_brainard@cable.comcast.com

Do not have a phone number for her.

do speedtest.com and you should be able to test your upload and download speed.

Cheers!
I ran the test using speedtest.net [not .com].
My results, averaged over 3 tries are:
ping 30 ms, download speed 42 Mbps, upload speed 10 Mbps

I would like to hear the results from others, especially the $19.95 comcast customer. I think I only need to be fast enough to watch Netflix and use 1 laptop online for searching at the same time.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post

I would like to hear the results from others, especially the $19.95 comcast customer. I think I only need to be fast enough to watch Netflix and use 1 laptop online for searching at the same time.
I'm getting 3.62/0.95 Mbps on my $19.99 connection

Sounds slow, but it is sufficient to stream TV programs
Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Tom - Are those speed test results for a "wired" or "wireless/wi-fi" connection to your device being tested??
Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I'm getting 3.62/0.95 Mbps on my $19.99 connection

Sounds slow, but it is sufficient to stream TV programs
Thank-you---

I got this from Netflix https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
Internet Connection Speed Recommendations

Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality

3.62 Mbps is your speed

5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
HD Video Quality

Movies and TV shows that are available in high definition will play in 720p or better with a fast enough Internet connection. To watch Netflix in HD, ensure you have an HD plan, then set your video quality setting to High in the Playback Settings for your account.

Netflix Bandwidth Usage

Higher quality video uses more bandwidth than lower quality video. If your service provider applies a bandwidth or data cap to your Internet service, you can Manage Bandwidth Usage by changing the video quality settings to Low or Medium to consume less data.

I should try and get the $19.95 rate and see if I notice any changes. Do you own your own cable modem/router too? I have been renting mine for $10/month. Do you know your make and model?

I have my cell phone costs down to $25/month including data, talk and text using Republic Wireless and I ported [linked] it to Google Voice. I had to buy a Motorola G phone for their service. It cost $150 at the time and is now down to $120.

I'm embarrassed to tell you my telecommunication costs in NJ before I moved down here.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Audio Video View Post
You need to run a speed test using an ethernet connected PC straight into the modem (or router).

Comcast Performance customers will get 30 Mbps (25 advertised) and Blast Internet customers will see 90 Mbps (75 advertised).

Wifi performance will vary depending on the signal strength, the quality of the connected device and most importantly the quality of the access point and router.

It's not hard to build a solid network in your home, pricing is closely tied to expectations.
I turned off the wifi on my laptop and ran the speedtest using a patch cable directly connected to the modem. 48Mbps download and 9Mbps upload

It seems like my speed is in between Performance and Blast. My bill is $50 for internet only and another $10 for modem rental. I went to the store a month or so ago. The one on the north end of town.

I ran the test multiple times.

I would be content to always use a patch cable with my laptop.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Platinum member
Default Comcast

Quote:
I turned off the wifi on my laptop and ran the speedtest using a patch cable directly connected to the modem. 48Mbps download and 9Mbps upload

It seems like my speed is in between Performance and Blast. My bill is $50 for internet only and another $10 for modem rental. I went to the store a month or so ago. The one on the north end of town.

I ran the test multiple times.

I would be content to always use a patch cable with my laptop.
I guess some of us are stck with CC, but I really find the monthly rental very annoying knowing they are making a killing on something that cost them just a few dollars. I want to change services but the wife says no.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
I guess some of us are stck with CC, but I really find the monthly rental very annoying knowing they are making a killing on something that cost them just a few dollars. I want to change services but the wife says no.
I don't think the solution for me is changing services. I just want to pay $19.95 a month, buy a modem/router and see what that's like. And if all I had to do was send an email to the person in charge to make the switch I would do that. That would be easy.
Anybody have any thoughts on the make and model of the modem/router I need? I don't think I need the newest model to handle their slowest tier. Especially if I plug in a patch cable.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I just want to pay $19.95 a month, buy a modem/router and see what that's like. Anybody have any thoughts on the make and model of the modem/router I need? I don't think I need the newest model to handle their slowest tier.
Check out the following:

DOCSIS Devices

I bought a Motorola SB5120 (shown under Arris/Motorola in the Comcast listing) on TOTV and it is connected directly to the computer through which I stream TV.

The modem is described by Comcast as "end-of-life" but that doesn't seem to be holding it back with my basic internet package.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 PM

tomwed and Villager Dude, Debbie Brainard's phone number is 904-256-1800. I do not call the call center anymore; I call or email Debbie. Yes, I'm sure she is tired of hearing from me but if they put competent people in their call center, I wouldn't have to bother her.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the phone number.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 07-28-2015, 07:02 AM
Platinum member
Default modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Check out the following:

DOCSIS Devices

I bought a Motorola SB5120 (shown under Arris/Motorola in the Comcast listing) on TOTV and it is connected directly to the computer through which I stream TV.

The modem is described by Comcast as "end-of-life" but that doesn't seem to be holding it back with my basic internet package.
after my comment yesterday about CC and not likeing the modem leasing, we got a letter from them stating our modem is not able to handle their higher speeds. We don't have the higher speeds but now I see I can buy one of their suggested modems from amazon or wherever and use it and remove the leasing fee. Thank you Comcast. I will probably also buy the arris/Motorola as it is one of the suggested modems.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,092 Times in 373 Posts

I may be dreaming but it seemed like I read something from Comcast that said that they would be changing their TV and Internet such that only devices bought/rented from them would work. I do not have internet but do have cable and I despise renting devices that are required to receive the Digital signal. Originally free.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn1tv View Post
tomwed and Villager Dude, Debbie Brainard's phone number is 904-256-1800. I do not call the call center anymore; I call or email Debbie. Yes, I'm sure she is tired of hearing from me but if they put competent people in their call center, I wouldn't have to bother her.
I emailed Debbie who put me in touch with someone in Comcast sales management.
Thanks to you, Debbie saved the day for me because she got the Comcast ball rolling. To make a long story short I am now a happy comcast customer.
When I tried downgrading to just internet back in may at the local store in the north end of town they made a mistake. I was overpaying.
Starting today I will be getting
Performance: 25 Mbps / 5 Mbps [25000 Kbps / 5000 Kbps] for $25/month for a year and reimbursed for the mistake made in May.

I also ordered a router and modem from New Egg for $90.
25-390-001 CABLE MODEM ARRIS | SB6141 R
$89.99
33-416-002 WL ROUTER ON NETWORKS| N300R-199NAS
$0.00

This was my goal [$50 for telecommunication] for quite some time but I just couldn't seem to put it into action.
I have plenty of Internet for $25. I have a motorala g smartphone [$150] and plenty of wireless service including data for $25/month from Republic Wireless.

I regret not being more diligent when I first moved here. I did waste a bit of money on trial and error.

[This is my next purchase from Walmart. Obihai Technology OBI100 Voip Phone Adapter Sup Google Ctlr Voice Sip And Obitalk
By: OBIHAI TECHN...
Obihai Technology OBI100 Voip Phone Adapter Sup Google Ctlr Voice Sip And Obitalk
$54.04

With this device, google voice and an old fashion phone if the republic phone doesn't work as long as comcast is working I wont miss a call at home and will have phones all over the house in case of emergency.]
Old 07-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
This was my goal...$50 for telecommunication.
Glad that you have found solutions that work for you, TomWed. Now you can relax - for a year, anyway.

I have used MagicJack for my telephone needs for the past five years and it has been very reliable. I take it with me when I travel so I always have a US number with me,
Closed Thread

Tags
bill, comcast, $19.99, called, full, plan, month, months, complete, spoke, agent, investigated, pest, assistant, automated, past, suggests, assistance, moral, extra, charge, book, stick, happy, relent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.