Comedy and Politics

Comedy and Politics

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Comedy and Politics
Old 09-07-2019, 10:18 PM

Default Comedy and Politics

In my opinion, comedy and politics don’t mix well. Two of the best examples are Bill Maher and Dennis Miller. Both are brilliant comedians when they’re not being political (which is rare nowadays). George Carlin was possibly the greatest comedian of all. I saw his last HBO special. It was nothing but a venomous diatribe with absolutely no humor. He was just an angry old man.
Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert used to be funny, but they’ve let politics ruin their acts. Jimmy Fallon never had an act to begin with. The great comedians were very rarely political and when they were, it wasn’t partisan. Bob Hope and Johnny Carson come to mind here. An occasional jab at a politician not meant to be hurtful. Leno and Letterman also fell into this category.
Some of my favorite comedians were Joan Rivers, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, Gary Shandling and Red Skelton. All non-political and very funny. Where have all the great ones gone?

Old 09-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.

I observed Joan Rivers at LAX a few years ago as we awaited boarding a plane with a windshield issue headed for Heathrow. Ultimately the plane had to be replaced. She revealed herself a self centered raving maniac and a vicious old bat.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2019, 10:52 PM

Johnny Carson was also not a very nice person, but both were great comedians.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:02 AM
Veteran member

If you want to see a really crazy, unbelievably funny comedy show from Britain, watch our Brexit parliamentary broadcasts!
Old 09-08-2019, 04:10 AM

Imitating political figures Is my favorite form of comedy. And it is so easy.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If you want to see a really crazy, unbelievably funny comedy show from Britain, watch our Brexit parliamentary broadcasts!
I have a life long friend in London who used to ding me all the time about American politics, now I am enjoying your news!!!!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have a life long friend in London who used to ding me all the time about American politics, now I am enjoying your news!!!!
Do not know how bad it looks to outsiders, but myself, and all the people I talk too, cannot believe the inneptitude of our decision makers.
The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I once attended a training class led by an Army officer. He said that no one was allowed to tell any jokes in class because all jokes make fun of someone. I thought that was an interesting opinion.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:24 AM

I expect a persons feeling about the "humor" level of comedy is directly related to the amount you agree with what the comedian is saying.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I once attended a training class led by an Army officer. He said that no one was allowed to tell any jokes in class because all jokes make fun of someone. I thought that was an interesting opinion.
Very true, and in general jokes are about things that are in fact not funny - slap stick humor is an example.

Jokes about old people for example, "How is an old person like a slinky? Answer, you can't help but laugh when you see one tumble down the stairs."... it contains everything bad about humor - it focuses on something not uncommon about a individual or definable group, it involves danger and potential injury, and something you would not like to have happen to you or someone you know.

Thank is what we call humor.

Tags
comedians, politics, political, comedy, funny