Comedy and Politics

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Default Comedy and Politics

In my opinion, comedy and politics don’t mix well. Two of the best examples are Bill Maher and Dennis Miller. Both are brilliant comedians when they’re not being political (which is rare nowadays). George Carlin was possibly the greatest comedian of all. I saw his last HBO special. It was nothing but a venomous diatribe with absolutely no humor. He was just an angry old man.
Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert used to be funny, but they’ve let politics ruin their acts. Jimmy Fallon never had an act to begin with. The great comedians were very rarely political and when they were, it wasn’t partisan. Bob Hope and Johnny Carson come to mind here. An occasional jab at a politician not meant to be hurtful. Leno and Letterman also fell into this category.
Some of my favorite comedians were Joan Rivers, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, Gary Shandling and Red Skelton. All non-political and very funny. Where have all the great ones gone?
Old 09-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

I observed Joan Rivers at LAX a few years ago as we awaited boarding a plane with a windshield issue headed for Heathrow. Ultimately the plane had to be replaced. She revealed herself a self centered raving maniac and a vicious old bat.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-07-2019, 10:52 PM

Johnny Carson was also not a very nice person, but both were great comedians.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

If you want to see a really crazy, unbelievably funny comedy show from Britain, watch our Brexit parliamentary broadcasts!
Old 09-08-2019, 04:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Imitating political figures Is my favorite form of comedy. And it is so easy.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If you want to see a really crazy, unbelievably funny comedy show from Britain, watch our Brexit parliamentary broadcasts!
I have a life long friend in London who used to ding me all the time about American politics, now I am enjoying your news!!!!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have a life long friend in London who used to ding me all the time about American politics, now I am enjoying your news!!!!
Do not know how bad it looks to outsiders, but myself, and all the people I talk too, cannot believe the inneptitude of our decision makers.
The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

I once attended a training class led by an Army officer. He said that no one was allowed to tell any jokes in class because all jokes make fun of someone. I thought that was an interesting opinion.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:24 AM

I expect a persons feeling about the "humor" level of comedy is directly related to the amount you agree with what the comedian is saying.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I once attended a training class led by an Army officer. He said that no one was allowed to tell any jokes in class because all jokes make fun of someone. I thought that was an interesting opinion.
Very true, and in general jokes are about things that are in fact not funny - slap stick humor is an example.

Jokes about old people for example, "How is an old person like a slinky? Answer, you can't help but laugh when you see one tumble down the stairs."... it contains everything bad about humor - it focuses on something not uncommon about a individual or definable group, it involves danger and potential injury, and something you would not like to have happen to you or someone you know.

Thank is what we call humor.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,047 Times in 2,738 Posts

I agree with the OP, I used to really enjoy watching the tonight show with both Carson and Lenno, but I can't stand watching Jimmy Fallon. I do suspect the writers of Saturday Night Live are licking their chops over a possibly Trump/Warren showdown as that would open up lots of good comic opportunities if they can stick to comedy and stay neutral on politics.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:37 AM

I would be interested in anything indicating a persons political leaning and their dislike of political humor.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Very true, and in general jokes are about things that are in fact not funny - slap stick humor is an example.

Jokes about old people for example, "How is an old person like a slinky? Answer, you can't help but laugh when you see one tumble down the stairs."... it contains everything bad about humor - it focuses on something not uncommon about a individual or definable group, it involves danger and potential injury, and something you would not like to have happen to you or someone you know.

Thank is what we call humor.
Now THAT is funny, and I am an old person.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-08-2019, 05:46 PM

Uh Oh.. 10.... 9.... 8....
Old 09-08-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Now THAT is funny, and I am an old person.
Yup, that is my point. Humor is typically about things that are not funny.

Tags
comedians, politics, political, comedy, funny

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.