Comedy and Politics

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Re: England and us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have a life long friend in London who used to ding me all the time about American politics, now I am enjoying your news!!!!
I find the relationship interesting. In many cases they make a mistake first and we follow them down the same mistake. Sometimes we make a mistake and they follow us.

So many examples. Simple stuff. England invented the inch, the foot, the yard. Tools, England, I used to have an English car for tools you needed Whintworth, Metric and SAE standard (American). England went metric and we are still holding the foot.

Aside-BREXIT. England was one of the last to enter the common marke and they never fully went to the euro they stayed on the British pound sterling. Which by the way was replaced by the US dollar for international trade because the dollar was backed by specie-gold or silver.

Perhaps, like any kid we seem to need to make the same mistakes over and over again. I think we've all seen signs WET PAINT and needed to test, touch the wet paint, to see it the sign is correct. Our current fair wages, fair taxes etc, was tested in England long ago with strikes in Manchester.

My point is a bit of reading of history, there is no need to make every mistake like the result is a new mystery novel. Who did it and how painful it was can be simply read and learned from.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I would be interested in anything indicating a persons political leaning and their dislike of political humor.
A good indication of how the country thinks can be seen in the Nielsen ratings.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
A good indication of how the country thinks can be seen in the Nielsen ratings.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:31 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

What is sad is, network news references the night shows as if they are news providers.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"Spitting Image" was a UK show using puppets for political humor around the Thatcher era - hilarious - check out some on You Tube

Spitting Image - Thatcher's Cabinet (S01E03) - YouTube

of course, it helps if you know something about the characters being portrayed
Closed Thread

Tags
comedians, politics, political, comedy, funny

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.