Compost me when I die!

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2021, 04:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Compost me when I die!

Another innovative idea, instead of a funeral, or cremation, there is growing interest in composting people.

Sounds crazy right, except, that is what people did for literally ever until someone found a way to make lots of money off people dying.

I understand that just planting a body in your backyard is both illegal and unsanitary and can spread disease. BUT...

Compositing results in perfectly safe residue and has a far lower carbon footprint than either burial or cremation. Give it a read, I like it.

now you can compost human bodies too
Old 07-13-2021, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Another innovative idea, instead of a funeral, or cremation, there is growing interest in composting people.

Sounds crazy right, except, that is what people did for literally ever until someone found a way to make lots of money off people dying.

I understand that just planting a body in your backyard is both illegal and unsanitary and can spread disease. BUT...

Compositing results in perfectly safe residue and has a far lower carbon footprint than either burial or cremation. Give it a read, I like it.

You first
Old 07-13-2021, 04:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You first
I discussed this with my brother who worked as an Ethics advisor for President Bush #2. His response was that it meshes nicely with Christian teachings and old testament Jewish teachings about how to deal with dead bodies.

As for going first, ABSOLUTELY, the project is in the early phases and working to meet government regulations - hopefully, I will live long enough for it to be available.

The alternative, I have told my wife to cremate me and flush the ashes, she has agreed to the cremation, but refuses to agree to flush me - LOL
Old 07-13-2021, 05:00 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:

It can be done right here in Gainesville Florida. It’s a beautiful preserve where no embalming or traditional caskets are allowed.
Prairie Creek Conservation Cemetery
Old 07-13-2021, 05:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 895 Posts
Default Golfing Eagles would like my wife's plan, assuming I am alive

GE,

my wife wants to be cremated and then for me to play around at a TPC course, preferably TPC Sawgrass, and use her ashes to fill in my iron and wedge divots. . and spread the remaining ashes on the 18th fairway. . .

I am like, will do!

golfer guy
Old 07-13-2021, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
GE,

my wife wants to be cremated and then for me to play around at a TPC course, preferably TPC Sawgrass, and use her ashes to fill in my iron and wedge divots. . and spread the remaining ashes on the 18th fairway. . .

I am like, will do!

golfer guy
I already have a similar arrangement in place
Old 07-13-2021, 06:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:

This really isn’t a new idea, there have been areas for human decomposition for years. The only thing they can’t keep out are the bugs and the critters but hey, they have to eat too.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
This really isn’t a new idea, there have been areas for human decomposition for years. The only thing they can’t keep out are the bugs and the critters but hey, they have to eat too.
It goes a step beyond decomposition, to composting.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
It goes a step beyond decomposition, to composting.
If you’ve decomposed in the forest, you’ve composted. No muss, no fuss.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
If you’ve decomposed in the forest, you’ve composted. No muss, no fuss.
True, the issue legally is that decomposing (I assume you mean rotting) has a rask of spreading disease, where composting is a control process in a controlled environment so the temperatures get high enough to kill any potential pathogens.

There is still the problem of heavy metals and other non-compostable body parts that need to be dealt with.

But, the same idea, returning to nature rather than being buried in a $20K coffin and a vault to seal you off for a while.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thought I was reading my Babylon Bee for a minute!!
Old 07-14-2021, 05:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,296 Times in 557 Posts

Been doing it for years......
Old 07-14-2021, 06:11 AM

My niece just planted a tree on their property in New York with the remains of her parents. I think it is wonderful.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

I want to be laminated and placed at the local tavern
Old 07-14-2021, 07:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,841 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:

There are fox hunting clubs in the UK and Ireland where it is traditional that if a fox hunting horse dies, it is donated to the club kennels, where it is cut up, cooked, and fed to the hounds. When the hounds are out running, they pause from time to time to distribute the horse over the fields it loved. If you have ever been a fox hunter, you understand how “right” this seems, and how romantic. Both horses and hounds love fox hunting, and foxes seem to enjoy the game of wits, too.

How about for Village golfers, a little gadget on the back of a golf cart that slowly trickles ashes, a pinch at a time, all over someone’s favorite golf course?
Closed Thread

Tags
people, compost, cremation, spread, unsanitary

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.