Computerized pill-minder - on my!

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2021, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Have to disagree with you on this one, pharmacists have caught more than one needed correction for us over the years. I’d definitely put my faith in them, not to say that they’re all perfect.
I was, of course, being sarcastic (as usual). However, I can say from experience, that I had much more faith in the 55 year old pharmacists than the 25 year olds. The number of "stupid" phone calls and questions I got from the younger ones would amaze you. (BTW, the big bottle/little bottle comment is derived from what I frequently jibed my friend Billy with, a pharmacist)
Old 06-29-2021, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplanted View Post
Thank you for sharing! My step-father is in the early stages of dementia, but this is one of the biggest areas of concern we have right now as he is still living alone and goes off the rails with his meds now and again; I'm emailing this to my bro as he flies down to him every other month and my sister, who deals with the docs. Thanks again!!!
I am sorry to hear about your step father. Dementia was my concern when I went in to be evaluated, and she assured me I do not meet the diagnosis. In my case I am not loosing my old memories, but I am starting to struggle to make new long term memories. Not all the time, but some times.

I hope your step father can get the care he needs.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Air tag from Apple may be your next best friend. Have one on all keys, (forgot to take it off today at dealership, watched on my phone where my car was taken for a drive) have one in wallets. And one on the cat harness.

All of our kids and grands have them on their pets, and keys. 2 year battery life, and if the get wet still work (dunked in water dish more than once). You can only track a tag from one owner, unless you put out a Lost Alert, then those keys that fell out of your golf bag can be found by anyone that comes close to keys with an IPhone.

Inexpensive and better than tile for us. It’s a fail safe for Just In Case you Can’t Find your Keys
Old 06-29-2021, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Air tag from Apple may be your next best friend. Have one on all keys, (forgot to take it off today at dealership, watched on my phone where my car was taken for a drive) have one in wallets. And one on the cat harness.

All of our kids and grands have them on their pets, and keys. 2 year battery life, and if the get wet still work (dunked in water dish more than once).

Inexpensive and better than tile for us. It’s a fail safe for Just In Case you Can’t Find your Keys
I agree completely, I just received 8 (4 for me and 4 for my wife) and love them. At first it was funny, I set up the one for my car and then every time I parked it and walked away I got a notice that I had left my car behind - LOL. No more trying to find my car in large parking lots, it leads me straight to it.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:43 AM

Are the exercises you were given able to be shared?
Old 06-29-2021, 10:39 AM

There was a memory article that I was reading recently that reminded everyone that if you can remember that you forgot something it isn't as serious as if you're unable to remember that you forgot something. Seems to make sense to me.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Are the exercises you were given able to be shared?

The exercises are things like memory games (Concentration - there are apps), word search puzzles (again there are apps), etc. Memory exercises. Games that involve seeing things and having to remember them.

She also suggested taking up a musical instrument and I mentioned I was already playing Sax and have started learning the cello. She said playing musical instruments is excellent for your brain and memory.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp243 View Post
There was a memory article that I was reading recently that reminded everyone that if you can remember that you forgot something it isn't as serious as if you're unable to remember that you forgot something. Seems to make sense to me.
I understand. When I forget something it is pretty much gone. My wife often mentions things we discussed or did and I have no recall of them.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Good luck, Grumpy. Memory issues due to aging aren’t easy to deal with and I hope the exercises help you.
It will be an exercise just to push the right buttons on that thing.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:47 AM

That is a BEAST!!!!
I am a Fitness Coordinator at a retirement facility and retired nurse (and a snowbird!) I teach classes and work with the residents to help prevent memory loss. The best exercises for memory are where you need to coordinate your body parts (as in doing one thing with the arms and something completely different with your legs!)
I highly recommend Silver & Fit videos on You-tube. Many can be done in a chair (and they are challenging in the chair!) and best of all they are free!!!!
Good luck!!!
Old 06-30-2021, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
It will be an exercise just to push the right buttons on that thing.
I set it up yesterday. It looks more intimidating than it is. It came with very clear instructions, and it basically is just a bunch of pill containers (4 slots per day, morning, noon, afternoon, and night) and 31 days. Those plus the speaking alarm clock. You set the time, date, and alarms for when you want to take your pills. And it might be the easiest digital clock I have ever set up.

I think this would work well for anyone that has to take pills 4 times per day.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelz View Post
That is a BEAST!!!!
I am a Fitness Coordinator at a retirement facility and retired nurse (and a snowbird!) I teach classes and work with the residents to help prevent memory loss. The best exercises for memory are where you need to coordinate your body parts (as in doing one thing with the arms and something completely different with your legs!)
I highly recommend Silver & Fit videos on You-tube. Many can be done in a chair (and they are challenging in the chair!) and best of all they are free!!!!
Good luck!!!
Thank you for that advice, I will add some of that to my daily exercise routine. It sounds similar to the advice I have read about crawling - down on all fours and crawling like a baby - it is supposed to be good both for the brain and the body.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:50 PM

Good luck to you sir. Geriatrics do not seem to be found anymore in the non VA world. Thank you for your service.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:34 PM

I had one of those for my mother they are awesome. But big. I spent 85$ for it about 4 years ago
Old 06-30-2021, 10:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie-Lover View Post
Good luck to you sir. Geriatrics do not seem to be found anymore in the non VA world. Thank you for your service.
Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it.
Closed Thread

Tags
pill, memories, lost, minder, long-term

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.