Condo or Home/Villa?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Location: Bonita Springs FL - half way between Ft Meyers and Naples
Default Condo or Home/Villa?

As a likely future resident, i am simply not understanding the demand for single family homes vs Condominiums, and yes im well aware that there are simply no Condo's or HOA's in TV.
Please convince me that, as a resident of TV, your choice of a home, at age 55+, with the burden of maintenance (roof, painting, grass, sprinklers, cable, etc) has been a good decision, vs what a condo may similarly provide, with an HOA fee.
I feel that you either pay for your amenities through a CDD, and home maintenance by check book, or both of these through an HOA, the total costs being a toss up.
I would love to get feedback to help me figure this dilemma out.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

People like their privacy. Shared walls don't appeal to many. Many retirees can afford the maintenance on a single-family home. And there are some attached townhouses in TV, and some are for sale.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
People like their privacy. Shared walls don't appeal to many. Many retirees can afford the maintenance on a single-family home. And there are some attached townhouses in TV, and some are for sale.
Ditto.

I've got a villa with a very low maintenance yard. Other stuff, I deal with it.
I lived in apartments when I was younger and didn't care much for loud neighbors, etc. sharing my wall, so I like a bit of space even if it's not all that much. My lot is a corner and oriented so it feels extremely private.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,602 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosap View Post
As a likely future resident, i am simply not understanding the demand for single family homes vs Condominiums, and yes im well aware that there are simply no Condo's or HOA's in TV.
Please convince me that, as a resident of TV, your choice of a home, at age 55+, with the burden of maintenance (roof, painting, grass, sprinklers, cable, etc) has been a good decision, vs what a condo may similarly provide, with an HOA fee.
I feel that you either pay for your amenities through a CDD, and home maintenance by check book, or both of these through an HOA, the total costs being a toss up.
I agree. I would rather have a condo, and I have considered moving somewhere else to buy one. But, regarding cost, I don't think it is a toss up. Condo fees are typically more expensive than living in a single family house in The Villages. The overall cost of living here is cheaper than anywhere else I have lived. But, I wish The Villages would provide more maintenance, such as lawn maintenance, irrigation, exterior painting, roofing, etc. Other Florida communities offer these services.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:58 PM

Single family homes in The Villages are a better investment than condos. Prior years have seen $10k per year increase in resale price. With the newer developments in the south home model prices have increased $25-$30k in the last 6 months. Home models selling in Hawkins/Bradford/Chitty Chatty in December 2020 for under $250 are selling in St Catherines for $275+ today.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

I think all or most of the condos are 2 floors.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosap View Post
Amenity fees vs condo fees and what you get for that fee is the question. As for your items, if buying new you are most likely good on the roof, painting you hire someone, lawns do yourself or hire someone, sprinklers are mostly carefree, cable would be the same at either. In a condo you would not have the pools, golf courses, restaurants and miles of golf cart paths that the Villages offer.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:46 AM

To each his own. I have lived in single homes and two condos. I love my manageable single home and would never choose to live in a condo full-time ever again. However, there are those who feel the opposite. Neither is right or wrong. Just preference.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. I would rather have a condo, and I have considered moving somewhere else to buy one. But, regarding cost, I don't think it is a toss up. Condo fees are typically more expensive than living in a single family house in The Villages. The overall cost of living here is cheaper than anywhere else I have lived. But, I wish The Villages would provide more maintenance, such as lawn maintenance, irrigation, exterior painting, roofing, etc. Other Florida communities offer these services.
Look at Lakeside Landing the fees are $303 a month this includes all landscaping, pest control, landscape water, all exterior maintenance (painting, roof), trash, and your amenities. Add this up and you will see it is a lot less expensive. The Villages, $129 a month for landscape and pest control, $248 a month for water, trash and amenity fee, $7,000 every 7 years to paint, $25,000 every 20 years or less for a new roof.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:48 AM

So, once you purchase your condo you realize you live next to a bossy, gossipy neighbor who is up in your lane 24/7. When you refuse to follow their made up rules, they curse & threaten you. My cameras get installed May 11 over my cars & both entrances. #regretful
Old 04-29-2021, 06:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

It’s also about choice. I live in a cul d sac (6 homes). 3 of my neighbors LOVE working in their yard. They cut their grass and do all the landscaping. 3 of us hire it out.
My dad and father in law still cut their own grass, they love doing it.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:07 AM

Steps, condos have steps
Old 04-29-2021, 06:07 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJo View Post
So, once you purchase your condo you realize you live next to a bossy, gossipy neighbor who is up in your lane 24/7. When you refuse to follow their made up rules, they curse & threaten you. My cameras get installed May 11 over my cars & both entrances. #regretful
I dont know what kind of neighborhood you live in but I lived in condos for almost my whole life and never never got cursed at by any neighbors. Nor have I ever had the need to set up cameras. You get what you pay for. Pick a more upscale neighborhood
Old 04-29-2021, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Same bossy neighbor in a home next door.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:44 AM
Default Condo's vs home.

I'd much rather have a condo than a home. The "Powers to be" in The Villages built "Town houses" in Spanish Springs yrs ago & couldn't sell them because of stairs inside each Townhouse. Consequently they have been afraid of the concept since that time. Somebody doesn't understand the difference between townhouses & condo's. I love to see "Luxury condo's" built.
Closed Thread

Tags
condo, home, maintenance, resident, simply

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.