Condo or Home/Villa?

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2021, 03:57 PM

You NEVER own a condo. The condo purchaser only owns from interior wall paint or wall paper INWARD. The other side of that wall paper belongs to the Condo Association. Townhomes are different. The purchaser owns the entire unit. The differences here is what the "owner" is responsible for. Townhome owners don't pay condo fees, but the condo owner doesn't have to pay for that new roof, whereas the townhome owner will pay for that new roof...
Old 04-29-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Look at Lakeside Landing the fees are $303 a month this includes all landscaping, pest control, landscape water, all exterior maintenance (painting, roof), trash, and your amenities. Add this up and you will see it is a lot less expensive. The Villages, $129 a month for landscape and pest control, $248 a month for water, trash and amenity fee, $7,000 every 7 years to paint, $25,000 every 20 years or less for a new roof.
Your prices are much too high. I pay $45.00 per month for landscaping and lawn care, no pest control, do it myself for the last 20 years, pay approximately $210 monthly for amenity, inside and outside water and trash, not painted and still looks great, just paid $12,000 for a new roof after 20 years. We have a designer home on a championship golf course with custom landscaping. We love our home and would not live in a condo or other community. Your choice, but your costs list is way off. Compare apples to apples.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:24 PM

Well I am not one to be giving advice on this subject. My wife and I live in a house too large for just two. I NEVER liked condos and certainly not timeshares. I have bought and sold dozens of homes. And at 71 I just built a home in Maine in the foothills of the white mountains in the lakes area. In Maine the lakes are crystal clear and have no nasty inhabitants.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

We currently live in a close to 4000 sqft home on over an acre and a half. We do all of our own house cleaning and yard work and most of the maintenance ourselves. We have dogs that love to run around in our large yard and we grill every chance that we get. This has been a wonderful house to raise kids in - plenty of room for batting practice in our own yard, a big pool, a large driveway to play basketball, plenty of room inside to spread out.

Now that the kids are older, we are looking to downsize. We want a house with a yard for our dogs and we want to be able to grill outside whenever we want to w/o having to haul meat down a bunch of floors and outside to a common grill area which may already be in use.

A smaller house to maintain along with an easy maintenance yard will give us more time to do fun things. We've lived in apartments and rented condos for vacations before and that lifestyle does have it's benefits. But at this point in our lives (mid/late 50's) we want the privacy and independence of a single family home and we want the space available for our kids to stay with us during the holidays and summer breaks.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Fun Question

We lived on the beach in a Condo in southern Florida for quite a few years . Here are the problems you may face on a beach condo. If you are in a hurricane path the owners on the 2nd floor up which have "wind insurance" want some of the insurance money from the 1st floor owners who have flood Insurance and pay less for Ins. and get more. Then you have building repairs spread among the owners, that can and will cost a bundle for each owner. You wake up and find ex felon in one of the buildings and is not the owner. Question: who is paying for him/her. Three main complaints on a regular basis are the three "P's". Poop, pool and Puppy (Dogs). Rebars in balconies are failing, all balconies have to be repaired. Heavy expense. You are governed under Florida Statue 718 which is really not bad. Maintenance fees rates between $500-900 a month. Someone brings a child in the pool and that child "poop's. Under Florida law you must drain the pool and refill. Costly. There are large parties by some owners who make very loud noise. We also had a Condo up north at the same time. Lots of on going problems although not all the same as in Florida. NET: We bought a home in The Villages and are completely satisfied.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
If you buy a new, or nearly new villa your maintenance will not be as bad as you think. Yards are small, but you get privacy and no shared walls like in a condo. As "some" of us age, "some" of us tend to turn the TV up very loud, speak loud etc. A free-standing home provides a sound barrier as well. Hire out lawn care, and periodic exterior cleaning, house washing etc. You can always move to a condo or an apartment later if it seems like you are doing more upkeep than you care to.
Exactly. There are pros and cons to condo living.

I look at it this way. TV homes are in a way similar to condos/townhomes but without common walls (homes are close to each other)...and no crazy people running the HOA as in condo living.

I do wish the Lofts were condos instead of rentals though
Old 04-30-2021, 09:53 AM

I have a corner Villa large enclosed backyard that my dogs just love and so do we! Never hear the neighbors who are great!
Old 04-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts
Default I’ve been in a few of those town homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenpegg1@gmail.com View Post
Spanish Springs have single level townhomes and condos but all single levels are 2-br, 2-ba.
And stayed in 2 different ones , I didn’t know that any of them were only 1 floor
Old 04-30-2021, 06:59 PM
Default Spanish Springs TOWNHOMES/CONDOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
And stayed in 2 different ones , I didn’t know that any of them were only 1 floor
There are three villages . The Villas Of Spanish Springs has two and three story units. Vista Lago and Villa Sonoma have some single story units.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosap View Post
As a likely future resident, i am simply not understanding the demand for single family homes vs Condominiums, and yes im well aware that there are simply no Condo's or HOA's in TV.
Please convince me that, as a resident of TV, your choice of a home, at age 55+, with the burden of maintenance (roof, painting, grass, sprinklers, cable, etc) has been a good decision, vs what a condo may similarly provide, with an HOA fee.
I feel that you either pay for your amenities through a CDD, and home maintenance by check book, or both of these through an HOA, the total costs being a toss up.
I would love to get feedback to help me figure this dilemma out.
We lived in a condo up North for 29 years and we loved the fact that the landscaping, snow shoveling, and repairs were taken care of by an efficient Maintenance Dept. All it took was one inconsiderate neighbor next door to make our lives miserable for the last 3 years. We were happy to move into our own home in TV and not have to put up with shared walls or anyone living above us. There are condos in Spanish Springs and their HOA fees could be higher than the monthly expenses of most homes in TV.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:28 PM
John41

Quote:
As a likely future resident, i am simply not understanding the demand for single family homes vs Condominiums, and yes im well aware that there are simply no Condo's or HOA's in TV.
Please convince me that, as a resident of TV, your choice of a home, at age 55+, with the burden of maintenance (roof, painting, grass, sprinklers, cable, etc) has been a good decision, vs what a condo may similarly provide, with an HOA fee.
I feel that you either pay for your amenities through a CDD, and home maintenance by check book, or both of these through an HOA, the total costs being a toss up.
It’s like trying to explain why some people like the color red and some blue.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,566 Times in 922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
We currently live in a close to 4000 sqft home on over an acre and a half. We do all of our own house cleaning and yard work and most of the maintenance ourselves. We have dogs that love to run around in our large yard and we grill every chance that we get. This has been a wonderful house to raise kids in - plenty of room for batting practice in our own yard, a big pool, a large driveway to play basketball, plenty of room inside to spread out.

Now that the kids are older, we are looking to downsize. We want a house with a yard for our dogs and we want to be able to grill outside whenever we want to w/o having to haul meat down a bunch of floors and outside to a common grill area which may already be in use.

A smaller house to maintain along with an easy maintenance yard will give us more time to do fun things. We've lived in apartments and rented condos for vacations before and that lifestyle does have it's benefits. But at this point in our lives (mid/late 50's) we want the privacy and independence of a single family home and we want the space available for our kids to stay with us during the holidays and summer breaks.
You just described The Villages. Just make sure you have wide sliders to a great lania with a grill or summer kitchen.
Depends what type of dog(s) you have - our dog loves it in TV
Old 05-05-2021, 08:43 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:

Don’t forget about how rules in a condo
Old 05-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Platinum member

Most of us do not want to share walls with others.
I hate slamming doors in the hallway, people being loud
In the hallways of an apartment or condo. People living there tend to be more short term.

And though our lots are small I like green space around us.

I am much happier in my own house.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:06 PM

Having had a large home with lots of yard work and cleaning, we downsized to a Patio Villa for two and L♥ve it!
Just enough room and a lot less work to upkeep. Less work equals more playtime! ♥
Closed Thread

Tags
condo, home, maintenance, resident, simply

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.