Condo or Home/Villa?

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2021, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

I don’t really understand how you can compare TV to other 55+ communities. It’s a town the size of Manhattan. I was born and raised in Leesburg and nobody there can even understand the magnitude of this place. Also, i just bought a home in Hawkins so I’m technically now a Villager. Having said that, I can’t imagine ever living in a condo. I already feel like these are too close and the yard is so small. I’d rather pay for amenities and pay for trash etc myself than HOA fees. Just my opinion though. And holy moly, where are you getting that roof estimate. I just put a new roof on my house in Atlanta for less than 7k and it’s fabulous.

Last edited by Kelevision; 04-29-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Outsource.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:57 AM
Default Wow. That’s one expensive roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Look at Lakeside Landing the fees are $303 a month this includes all landscaping, pest control, landscape water, all exterior maintenance (painting, roof), trash, and your amenities. Add this up and you will see it is a lot less expensive. The Villages, $129 a month for landscape and pest control, $248 a month for water, trash and amenity fee, $7,000 every 7 years to paint, $25,000 every 20 years or less for a new roof.
We are counting down the days until we close in TV in late May. We also have lived in condos and my father currently lives in one. He is hard of hearing so he blasts the volume on the TVs - you could imagine the neighbors! No thanks. Also thanks for pointing out some of the cost. I was wondering what the yard would cost. But 25k for a roof? We just did a roof on a rental that’s around the same size of a home in TV and it was under 8k. Painting outside should cost no more that 3K at most including paint. These are Atlanta rates. Can’t imagine it’s much more in TV.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:00 AM

Be aware that with a condo everything is good until something goes wrong with the structure. I was paying $1000 a month at the beach. Things needed done and three assessments came( large sums of money). Even with reserves you can not anticipate everything. You can vote against the assessment but then the building would be in bad condition. Think carefully
Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncosap View Post
As a likely future resident, i am simply not understanding the demand for single family homes vs Condominiums, and yes im well aware that there are simply no Condo's or HOA's in TV.
Please convince me that, as a resident of TV, your choice of a home, at age 55+, with the burden of maintenance (roof, painting, grass, sprinklers, cable, etc) has been a good decision, vs what a condo may similarly provide, with an HOA fee.
I feel that you either pay for your amenities through a CDD, and home maintenance by check book, or both of these through an HOA, the total costs being a toss up.
I would love to get feedback to help me figure this dilemma out.
I'd find a condo in Sarasota if I was you.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalowany View Post
We are counting down the days until we close in TV in late May. We also have lived in condos and my father currently lives in one. He is hard of hearing so he blasts the volume on the TVs - you could imagine the neighbors! No thanks. Also thanks for pointing out some of the cost. I was wondering what the yard would cost. But 25k for a roof? We just did a roof on a rental that’s around the same size of a home in TV and it was under 8k. Painting outside should cost no more that 3K at most including paint. These are Atlanta rates. Can’t imagine it’s much more in TV.
I think a few things in TV are overpriced because there is a false presumption that we are all rich.

But if you shop around you can cut prices. Our neighbor had her Iris model home painted for under 3k (2 coats). The company did a great job
Old 04-29-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
As a likely future resident, i am simply not understanding the demand for single family homes vs Condominiums, and yes im well aware that there are simply no Condo's or HOA's in TV.
Please convince me that, as a resident of TV, your choice of a home, at age 55+, with the burden of maintenance (roof, painting, grass, sprinklers, cable, etc) has been a good decision, vs what a condo may similarly provide, with an HOA fee.
I feel that you either pay for your amenities through a CDD, and home maintenance by check book, or both of these through an HOA, the total costs being a toss up.

I too would have wondered why there are not tons of condos. I want to free myself from taking care of a house, yard, roof, etc.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,244 Times in 4,279 Posts

Two words... "Condo Commandos"...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-29-2021, 07:30 AM

It seems to me that the new apartments in the Brownwood area are similar to Cond's in concept. Just my thought.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:39 AM
Default You should look elsewhere.

The Villages has so very much to offer and yet people move here and immediately want to clone what they left behind. For all that you are do well aware of perhaps you should stay where your needs are better met. ll
Quote:
Asa likely future resident, i am simply not understanding the demand for single family homes vs Condominiums, and yes im well aware that there are simply no Condo's or HOA's in TV.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

KELEVISION........that's exactly why there are now apartments to rent
Old 04-29-2021, 07:46 AM
Veteran member

broncosap..... that is exactly why there are now apartments to rent in the Villages
Old 04-29-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

I love having my own home. Front and back porches, full size garage, grass under my feet.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
My mother lives in a 55+ community outside of TV of which she has to pay an HOA fee of 425.00 per month. Living in any type of villa in TV will not cost you anything close to that monthly fee. I have owned a Patio Villa in TV for 6 years of which is a full time rental so I can speak to reality.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:05 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default Living in a condo for 40 years if I had to to do it again I would never buy one

What I have experienced in Condo living is poor common area maintenance, extremely long periods of time for work orders to be completed the cost to me was $550.00 per month and it was not worth it at all. You CDD fee is expensive and somewhat doe's what my HOA fees doe's
Closed Thread

Tags
condo, home, maintenance, resident, simply

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.