the condom access program

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Society believes a 12-13 year old can handle the need for a condom, "same sex behavior etc but adults in NYC are being controlled by the food police because they can't handle their own eating and drinking.

This country is just upside down. What's next setting up orgies for kids.

since when have morals, intergrity and ethical behavior become passe'
Hey, why did you edit your post and remove the great story of you and your wife knowing each other since she was 13.....and could still honestly wear white to y'alls wedding?

I was going to say that stories like that...are great to hear.

I was however, also going to mention that we all have anecdotal stories...that don't necessarily apply to the whole.

I think the earlier post above, that cited actual facts from the CDC showing birth rates being at an all time per-capita low for 15-19 year olds....goes a long way in dispelling the notion that things were always better in the "good old days."

Just my $.02.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Sage
Wink

From what I hear, perhaps someone should be passing out free condoms at Katie Belle's.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Sage

I am happy that the majority on here are in favor of both formal sex education for our youth and a means of safe sex for those that do not abstain. Yes, I think abstention is the best thing, but if that is not the case, the misstep should not be a life sentence for a young person.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
... Yes, I think abstention is the best thing, but if that is not the case, the misstep should not be a life sentence for a young person.

A very wise statement. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Society believes a 12-13 year old can handle the need for a condom, "same sex behavior etc but adults in NYC are being controlled by the food police because they can't handle their own eating and drinking.

This country is just upside down. What's next setting up orgies for kids.

since when have morals, intergrity and ethical behavior become passe'
Perhaps morals, integrity and ethical behavior became passe' when Catholic priests were allowed to molest young boys and the Cardinals covered up for them.

Or perhaps when football coaches were allowed to molest young boys and the universities looked the other way.

Or perhaps when military personnel are allowed to rape and sexually harass young females under their command and get away with it.

This is not America's youth that is failing, these are middle-aged men. How do you explain this outrageous behavior to young people today? Kids don't have to go to R rated movies, all they have to do is watch the evening news.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Perhaps morals, integrity and ethical behavior became passe' when Catholic priests were allowed to molest young boys and the Cardinals covered up for them.

Or perhaps when football coaches were allowed to molest young boys and the universities looked the other way.

Or perhaps when military personnel are allowed to rape and sexually harass young females under their command and get away with it.

This is not America's youth that is failing, these are middle-aged men. How do you explain this outrageous behavior to young people today? Kids don't have to go to R rated movies, all they have to do is watch the evening news.
Two thumbs up.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Sage

Quote:

Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We are talking about 12 year old CHILDREN here NOT even teenagers.
When I was in nursing school,we did a rotation in Public Health (1971). My assignment was Prenatal Teaching to 11 and 12 year olds.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The youth that I know are doing a pretty good job. We lived close to our grandchildren growing up and were very involved in their lives.

One of the things that help is having a good family and talking, talking, talking and helping them to find something that they do well so they can shine and find confidence in themselves and don't "fall in love" to get the attention they need, but even with that, the sex urge is powerful and always has been.

This is veering from the issue of condoms.

I think we need to teach the ethics we believe in, and try to adapt to the sea change a little and first of all protect our children by teaching them about what to expect from themselves, and from others, when they become sexually active. There is no moral directions that I know of or any need for any in the programs that schools teach that are directed at understanding sexual behavior and changes. They are scientific facts about how our bodies act.

Children are aware of sexual feelings much younger than we are aware of them being aware if that makes sense.

One of the classes in high school that my grandchildren took involved a baby doll that if you didn't feed it or rock it or show it attention it cried. I don't know how they did it, but you didn't literally feed it or change it but it would make noise if you didn't give it the computer prompts that mimicked those actions. Each teen was given the doll for 24 hours. The interior computer showed if the "baby's" needs were met.

Our granddaughter slept so soundly that the baby cried so loud that everyone else in the house was kept awake. There was a huge lecture in the morning, I remember being told.

Our grandson was up all night with the baby.

The classes that I know of that are taught by the schools I know of have been excellent, but parents can opt them out.

A class on anything is only as good as the teacher. It is a very sensitive area and the schools that I know of understand and support parents exploring the subject matter and how it will be taught and by whom. We had great schools where I taught and they were where our children and grandchildren attended.

In my experience, the class had to have a note from parents to take it.

It is my opinion that someone needs to talk to a child about the subject of human reproduction and sexuality and if the parents want to do it themselves, I support them completely.

Whatever works for each family.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post

I think the one poster who tried to politicize this thread by stating the condoms from Planned Parenthood were defective was really comical.
Sad part is that I think they may have been serious?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:

thank you for having the courage to post this.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

I agree with janmcn above. Except I have to defend middle-aged men, as there are plenty of women (like teachers seducing young males) who also contribute to the problem. I don't think most men would ever dream of harming youngsters, and who would go to great lengths to protect them.

And no, I'm not a male. I just know a lot of wonderful men who get a bad rap in society these days because of the actions of the bad apples. But for those bad apples, take the gloves off and let them have it!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:

I doubt if many teens and preteens pay a huge amount of attention to various scandals going on that are covered by the news unless they are somehow directly or indirectly involved in the matter. There have been any number of sexual, political, financial and criminal incidents that have brought the wrath of the media and popular opinions in the last 100 years or so. There are huge events that certainly have a huge influence on our children like the Vietnam War, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, 9/11, Presidential assassinations, the Newtown massacre, the Boston Marathon bombing which would probably have a lot more influence.

In my experience, it is the peers that have the most influence on preteens and teens. Then the parents, the teachers, and last of all the media have sway. Of course, with social media often being a mix of all of these....
Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

[QUOTE=OnTrack;672783]Hey, why did you edit your post and remove the great story of you and your wife knowing each other since she was 13.....and could still honestly wear white to y'alls wedding?

I was however, also going to mention that we all have anecdotal stories...that don't necessarily apply to the whole.

I think the earlier post above, that cited actual facts from the CDC showing birth rates being at an all time per-capita low for 15-19 year olds....goes a long way in dispelling the notion that things were always better in the "good old days."

Just my $.02.

Ontrack: I original posted it to meet nitehawk's challenge but then remembered my wife is a very private person. So out of respect for her privacy I edited a portion of the post. However apparently not before some folks had an opportunity to read it. the story is true

A poster posit that we must make way for new progressive thinking and that avent-garde thinking requires a sexual permissve society ...but then I remembered that one of the reasons Rome fell was because of that very avent-garde thinking that lead it to a cancerous decay of their society.

Why would one encourage such behavior in young people that can only poison theirs minds and spirits?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Sage

[quote=rubicon;673207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTrack View Post
Hey, why did you edit your post and remove the great story of you and your wife knowing each other since she was 13.....and could still honestly wear white to y'alls wedding?

Just my $.02.

Ontrack: I original posted it to meet nitehawk's challenge but then remembered my wife is a very private person. So out of respect for her privacy I edited a portion of the post. However apparently not before some folks had an opportunity to read it. the story is true

A poster posit that we must make way for new progressive thinking and that avent-garde thinking requires a sexual permissve society ...but then I remembered that one of the reasons Rome fell was because of that very avent-garde thinking that lead it to a cancerous decay of their society.

Why would one encourage such behavior in young people that can only poison theirs minds and spirits?
I feel I should say something here as I have been so vocal on this paticular thread, but ???? I love everyone in The Villages and try to follow the intent rather than the words, but I am baffled with this one. No ill feeling to you and I hope you are well. Love and kisses to everyone and to everyone a good night. Please accept my apology if I drove you in this direction. I am finished with this thread.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.