Consumer Cellular Phones with AARP Discount

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Default Consumer Cellular Phones with AARP Discount

I'm thinking of getting a smart phone from Consumer Cellular which gives a discount to AARP members. Has anyone gotten a phone from them and if so how has the service been???? The monthly fees are much lower than Verizon, AT&T, etc.

Thanks!!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Sage

We got them...2 phones (basic bill) with long distance is about $31.00/total with tax etc. Service has been excellant. We don't use our cells all that much so went this route. One phone is $15.00 and two is $25.00 but add the tax etc it makes it a bit more. Hope this answers your question.

I know there are up-grades in service but we're not "married" to our cells as some folks are. We use a land-line (it's a bundle) for local/long distance stuff.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebanj View Post
I'm thinking of getting a smart phone from Consumer Cellular which gives a discount to AARP members. Has anyone gotten a phone from them and if so how has the service been???? The monthly fees are much lower than Verizon, AT&T, etc.

Thanks!!
I've been using Consumer Cellular for about 5 years. I have a basic phone, not a smartphone, which I use only for emergencies or when I'm traveling. Service has been excellent, never hit a dead spot, and it runs about $18 a month.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Platinum member

I have consumer cellular too. They use AT&T towers. That is the only real problem. More towers are supposed to be going up. We don't use the cell phone in the house, and it usually works when we are out.
Tampa, FL
Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Sage

I should have said we have the basic phones....and only use them while out and about "if" we need to get a hold of someone. Haven't had any problems so far with our connections!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

We both have Consumer Cellular phones and like them a lot. We have the clamshell type. As has been said, they use AT&T lines which work perfectly here in OH. I heard that you can purchase a mini AT&T antenna to boost your reception at home in TV. We'll give it a try when we get there.

But the BEST thing is there customer service. The best! If you don't need so many minutes, you can opt for less, retroactively in mid-month. The same if you need more. Then reverse it the next month if you wish. But always with friendly helpful folks on the other end of the line. And the AARP discount is nice, too. We actually got the free phones and love them. Nice big keys, screen, easy to use camera. It all works well for us and we would recommend you give it a try. Did I mention no contract?

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 PM

I too used to have Consumer Cellular for quite a few years. Recently found PureTalk with plans starting at $10.00 for 130 minutes with rollover minutes and no extra taxes! $20.00 gets 325 min. $30.00 gets 550 minutes. Also with their flex plan, you can say how much max. you want to pay every month and they start you at the $10.00 plan. If you get to 131 minutes then you get bumped up to the $20.00 plan.They also have unlimited talk and text planand one for data too. I switched because of no extra taxes and rollover minutes. They also use AT&T towers but have never had a problem with reception.You can also add a line for only $5.00 a month
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM

I have TracFone and pay 10.00 a month for 150minutes, if I don't use the minutes they are carried over, can bet that. AT&T is their provider.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdills View Post
I have TracFone and pay 10.00 a month for 150minutes, if I don't use the minutes they are carried over, can bet that. AT&T is their provider.
Wife has a TracFone and she was told they operate off the Sprint towers. Not sure, just saying.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Sage

Consumer Cellular gives you free directory assistance, just dial 411. My reception is fine, indoors and everywhere in TV.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

How about $25 every three months for GOphone (100minutes) from ATT. Don't use them much and always have a carryover of minutes. Now have a balance of over 400 minutes.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Platinum member

I also have TracPhone, good coverage anywhere I've traveled (so far, so good). I purchase the 90 day airtime and, with the double and bonus minutes, that gives me plenty of phone time for roughly $80 a year.
Not a "Smart" phone, but I wasn't using those features on my Verizon phone, so I said Goodbye to their expensive plans.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Gold member

Been using Consumer Cellular for 3 years with a total bill for 2 Samsung A 697 Phones for slightly more than $44/month total. We have shared 300 minutes of calling and 500 text messages/month. Never reach the allowed amount but if we were approaching them ConsumerCellular informs you and allows you to switch to next level without a fee or penalty. Their customer service reps are terrific, easy to contact and are all located in the USA. Service in our area of use has been great and recently seen more bars so they must have added more access in TV. I would definitely recommend them as an alternative to the big name providers if you don't require all of the features that they provide and just want to make & recive calls and text messages.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

We have been using Boost Mobile for a number of years and absolutely love it. The rate starts at about $50 a month but if you pay the monthly bill on time the rate is reduced. I'm down to only $35 monthly. For this fee, I get unlimited calling, unlimited texting, unlimited internet. The reception is great (uses Sprint towers).
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Consumer Cellular gives you free directory assistance, just dial 411. My reception is fine, indoors and everywhere in TV.
Happy to hear that. I've been wondering. We'll be down there soon! Really like our CC! Just had one of our lines changed to a 352 number to ease the transition. Neat! Makes me feel like we're closer to our new home.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.