Consumer Cellular Phones with AARP Discount

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Default Consumer Cellular Phones with AARP Discount

I'm thinking of getting a smart phone from Consumer Cellular which gives a discount to AARP members. Has anyone gotten a phone from them and if so how has the service been???? The monthly fees are much lower than Verizon, AT&T, etc.

Thanks!!

Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Sage

We got them...2 phones (basic bill) with long distance is about $31.00/total with tax etc. Service has been excellant. We don't use our cells all that much so went this route. One phone is $15.00 and two is $25.00 but add the tax etc it makes it a bit more. Hope this answers your question.

I know there are up-grades in service but we're not "married" to our cells as some folks are. We use a land-line (it's a bundle) for local/long distance stuff.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebanj View Post
I'm thinking of getting a smart phone from Consumer Cellular which gives a discount to AARP members. Has anyone gotten a phone from them and if so how has the service been???? The monthly fees are much lower than Verizon, AT&T, etc.

Thanks!!
I've been using Consumer Cellular for about 5 years. I have a basic phone, not a smartphone, which I use only for emergencies or when I'm traveling. Service has been excellent, never hit a dead spot, and it runs about $18 a month.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Platinum member

I have consumer cellular too. They use AT&T towers. That is the only real problem. More towers are supposed to be going up. We don't use the cell phone in the house, and it usually works when we are out.
Tampa, FL
Old 05-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Sage

I should have said we have the basic phones....and only use them while out and about "if" we need to get a hold of someone. Haven't had any problems so far with our connections!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 PM

We both have Consumer Cellular phones and like them a lot. We have the clamshell type. As has been said, they use AT&T lines which work perfectly here in OH. I heard that you can purchase a mini AT&T antenna to boost your reception at home in TV. We'll give it a try when we get there.

But the BEST thing is there customer service. The best! If you don't need so many minutes, you can opt for less, retroactively in mid-month. The same if you need more. Then reverse it the next month if you wish. But always with friendly helpful folks on the other end of the line. And the AARP discount is nice, too. We actually got the free phones and love them. Nice big keys, screen, easy to use camera. It all works well for us and we would recommend you give it a try. Did I mention no contract?

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 PM

I too used to have Consumer Cellular for quite a few years. Recently found PureTalk with plans starting at $10.00 for 130 minutes with rollover minutes and no extra taxes! $20.00 gets 325 min. $30.00 gets 550 minutes. Also with their flex plan, you can say how much max. you want to pay every month and they start you at the $10.00 plan. If you get to 131 minutes then you get bumped up to the $20.00 plan.They also have unlimited talk and text planand one for data too. I switched because of no extra taxes and rollover minutes. They also use AT&T towers but have never had a problem with reception.You can also add a line for only $5.00 a month
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM

I have TracFone and pay 10.00 a month for 150minutes, if I don't use the minutes they are carried over, can bet that. AT&T is their provider.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdills View Post
I have TracFone and pay 10.00 a month for 150minutes, if I don't use the minutes they are carried over, can bet that. AT&T is their provider.
Wife has a TracFone and she was told they operate off the Sprint towers. Not sure, just saying.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 AM
Sage

Consumer Cellular gives you free directory assistance, just dial 411. My reception is fine, indoors and everywhere in TV.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread