Contemplating a move to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2020, 06:31 AM

I would also look to rent. Being gay here is less dangerous than being a Democrat, like me! I would recommend anybody rent or do a "stay and play" trial, regarless if sexual orientation. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2020, 06:45 AM
Default Welcome to TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNative55 View Post
I have family members who live in TV, & as I near retirement it’s an affordable option for me as well.

As a single gay man, I wonder whether it’s a good fit for me. I know there’s an active, officially sanctioned gay Resident Lifestyle group, but I’d still be in the minority in TV. I’ve visited a number of times, but it’s not easy to gauge what it would be like for me to live there.

I’m fit & active & know there are any number of activities that might appeal to someone who’s friendly, but an introvert, who just wants to live a peaceful, quiet life. I’ve been very fortunate throughout my life, & not experienced overt or discriminatory homophobia or a fear of living my life openly. Now is not the time for that to change.

I was reluctant to post this & generally avoid posting to forums or any form of social media, since threads can quickly turn negative. However, this is such an important decision, I feel compelled to try. I look forward to, & appreciate your honest, thoughtful comments. Thank you.
I and my husband welcome you and would enjoy you as our neighbor. We find our gay friends are very intelligent, courteous, and just nice people. We absolutely welcome you, we are all Gods children
Old 09-05-2020, 06:57 AM

Lofts require a one year lease.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:02 AM

Welcome. Enjoy.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:14 AM

Why not rent a home for a year and find out if you do in fact feel comfortable living g this life style.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:19 AM

Hi. I posted that link and thanks for sharing. There are many gay people here - more lesbians than gay men, but a good amount of gay men. Very safe her and I came from Philly. Come on down - you will love it here. I would definitely go to bonifay in Thursday evenings just to meet some people.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
I have family members who live in TV, & as I near retirement it’s an affordable option for me as well.

As a single gay man, I wonder whether it’s a good fit for me. I know there’s an active, officially sanctioned gay Resident Lifestyle group, but I’d still be in the minority in TV. I’ve visited a number of times, but it’s not easy to gauge what it would be like for me to live there.

I’m fit & active & know there are any number of activities that might appeal to someone who’s friendly, but an introvert, who just wants to live a peaceful, quiet life. I’ve been very fortunate throughout my life, & not experienced overt or discriminatory homophobia or a fear of living my life openly. Now is not the time for that to change.

I was reluctant to post this & generally avoid posting to forums or any form of social media, since threads can quickly turn negative. However, this is such an important decision, I feel compelled to try. I look forward to, & appreciate your honest, thoughtful comments. Thank you.
I talked with a gay villager once before I bought a house here who told me that his village has a very large percentage of gays and lesbians. He says it is extra nice because he has so many friends living within a block. Unfortunately, I didn’t ask him which village it was, or I’d tell you. I was talking with another gay villager from south of Lake Sumter who has never heard of this. So, I would recommend that you contact the leaders of the gay groups here and see if you can find out which village it is, then try to find a place there.

I think you’d find friends anywhere, but how much nicer to find fifty friends who match your affinity group within a couple hundred yards of your home.

As for me, I love to play Swing music and Brazilian Choro music (thus my handle) and Bossa Nova on my mandolin and guitar. So far as I know, there is no village for that, nor even anyone but me who plays that music. O Solo Mio!
Old 09-05-2020, 08:19 AM

The villages is very welcoming to LGBT. They Are on the square dancing in the restaurants in the lounges and we all get along just fine. Of course I'm sure we have a few bad apples here. Just like you have bad apples being judges, police officers, doctors, and politicians. But from what I see you would be welcome here and fit in just fine.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I truly believe that you would enjoy life in TV. We're a straight couple, have been here 3+ years now and haven't come across many 'judgmental' people, most folks seem to be secure in who they are, are looking to enjoy life and are sociable toward one another.

The new lofts in Brownwood may give you a rental option vs. immediately buying...nothing like a 6 month test drive to really check it out....just a thought.

The Lofts require a 1 year lease.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:23 AM

Come on down and be my neighbor! Pursue you passions and enjoy the lifestyle!
Old 09-05-2020, 08:51 AM

We were unsure as well, even after doing the Lifestyle thing, so we rented for 6.5 months, with month to month extension with 60 days notice. '
Old 09-05-2020, 09:21 AM
Default LGBTQ Social Club of The Villages, FL - Rainbow Family & Friends Club

Thanks for writing into Talk of The Villages. My wife and I started the Rainbow Family & Friends Club, a sanctioned lifestyle Village's club, over 15 years ago. It has been primarily Lesbians over the years due to the attraction of all the sports activities here. However, in recent years we have been pleased to welcome more and more Gay men. We have lived her for over 18 years and have never had a problem being "out". We do suggest that you rent first until you are comfortable knowing that TV is for you. Visit our website for all the local LGBTQ+ activities listed on our calendar. Once Covid-19 has subsided we invite you to join us as our activites resume. Rainbow Family - Home
Old 09-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

I would love for you to be my neighbor!! Or friend!
Old 09-05-2020, 09:41 AM

My partner and I live in The Villages; we are very happy Living here. We live our lives openly and have experienced very little Discrimination. Our neighborhood has been very welcoming.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Gay people have been around since the beginning of man - when I was young we used to make fun and joke but not real hurtfully as we knew some folks are just wired different. Today and especially with older retired people my opinion is for most it is no issue and accepted but most are uncomfortable about in the open and out - you know affection between two men in a sexual nature.
Closed Thread

Tags
it’s, live, life, fit, active

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.