Contemplating a move to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2020, 10:27 AM

You say "I know there’s an active, officially sanctioned gay Resident Lifestyle group", have you visited and talked with anyone in that group? I'd think that would be a good place to start. Although looking at the responses you've received on this forum, everyone seems very friendly. I should say, I don't live here (yet), but I'm a librarian and we love helping people find the information they need. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2020, 10:34 AM

There is a club group and they have a blast. I can introduce you to someone nice.

Last edited by chrissy2231; 09-05-2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 09-05-2020, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
We have gay friends who enjoyed living here but found most of the gay social clubs were for lesbians not gay men so much. Most people here don’t care if you are gay and will include you in their social activities. However there are a few intolerant people so you want to check out the area by renting first.
This is the intolerance capital of America. Come here as a last resort.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
This is the intolerance capital of America. Come here as a last resort.
I guess there are some folks that will feel some "intolerance" if no one agrees with them on their views. There are some folks that will not be happy regardless of where they reside.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Cool Culture in the Villages

I have visited the Villages and have been considering retiring there so I have been following the posts closely now just to get a feel for mind set of this community.

I must ask....why is everyone so nasty? Why do people feel so entitled to attack others who dare to have a different opinion? It is fine to disagree, as we all have a right to state our opinion, but why must it be in such a vicious way?

It is such a turn-off.
I am a born and bred NYer so I am fluent in sarcasm but this degree of nastiness is offensive even to me.

I am interested in the new apartments because I am a woman alone and do not want the trouble of keeping up a house.
I am not white trash. I have an advanced degree from an Ivy League school.
I have a healthy income and retirement fund.
So, I might actually be an asset to your community.....I will not bring you down just because I live in an apartment.
But if I am going to be made to feel like crap simply because I chose to live in an apartment....I really don't need that! I will be retired. I want to enjoy!!!! Not listen to bitterness and prejudice.

So, if any of you now want to make a snarky remark because "I have an advanced degree from an Ivy League school" or because "I am a woman alone" or because of anything else you would like to pick out of this post and ridicule, just save it.....I am not interested in such ignorance.

You are in a playland. Go out and enjoy instead of sitting home and ruminating over trivial things and then spewing venom
Old 09-05-2020, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmrk32 View Post
I have visited the Villages and have been considering retiring there so I have been following the posts closely now just to get a feel for mind set of this community.

I must ask....why is everyone so nasty? Why do people feel so entitled to attack others who dare to have a different opinion? It is fine to disagree, as we all have a right to state our opinion, but why must it be in such a vicious way?

It is such a turn-off.
I am a born and bred NYer so I am fluent in sarcasm but this degree of nastiness is offensive even to me.

I am interested in the new apartments because I am a woman alone and do not want the trouble of keeping up a house.
So, I might actually be an asset to your community.....I will not bring you down just because I live in an apartment.
But if I am going to be made to feel like crap simply because I chose to live in an apartment....I really don't need that! I will be retired. I want to enjoy!!!! Not listen to bitterness and prejudice.

So, if any of you now want to make a snarky remark because "I have an advanced degree from an Ivy League school" or because "I am a woman alone" or because of anything else you would like to pick out of this post and ridicule, just save it.....I am not interested in such ignorance.

You are in a playland. Go out and enjoy instead of sitting home and ruminating over trivial things and then spewing venom
The so called "posts" here most certainly do not represent the mindset of the community.
The responses here are a minimal percent presence of the TOTV membership. As a percent of the total Villages the response percentage gets lost in the rounding.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

Quote:

It is such a turn-off.

We are new here and find people generally to be very nice and friendly. Walk to the local mailboxes most morning and almost everyone will say hello. Do get a few who keep their eyes face forward afraid of talking to others but a small minority.

People do get steamed up about certain subjects but easier to do so while hiding behind a keyboard.

Most of us are spending much more time at home due to the virus and have more time to exchange points of view on here.

Welcome to the Villages.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Wink Contemplating a move to The Villages

I believe you will love it here!! So many friendly and
non judgemental folks. Friends come easy, and of course there are so many activities...even with COVID
You might find some nice furnished long term rentals on Villagershomes4rent.com
Makes it easy to find a home in the location you want
That's how we found our home.
Hope your decision will be an easy one, once you arrive here
Old 09-05-2020, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

just come on down! there are so many different kinds of people here, i can't see where there would be a problem. we've been here going on 3 years & only 1 time did i meet a person who was off-putting. we were also @ the square & everyone was drinking, so that could be it, lol, but you will find a good time, easy living, and I'm 1 of the friendly people you see @ the mailbox or rec center. we'd love to meet you, --most of us don't judge anything btw, we're more focused on being positive & getting along. It doesn't cost a dime to be nice to people.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:

It is such a turn-off.

Well said!! Many here seem to fit the "grumpy old person" stigma. May we all have enough serotonin to stay happy and civil.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:09 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Thrilled to see 3 pages of welcoming people. I too would welcome you with zero judgement.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:57 PM

All are welcome here in The Villages. No discrimination that I have ever witnessed. Come and enjoy the villages life style.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I guess there are some folks that will feel some "intolerance" if no one agrees with them on their views. There are some folks that will not be happy regardless of where they reside.
Some are only happy when they are miserable and trying to make others miserable.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:26 PM

Look at the Atlanta area which is where I’m going they have a thriving gay community so much to do. Part of the reason I’m going is this place is too expensive and not friendly at all. Taxes up 25% house bond 30% amenity monthly 200-240 and for what ? It’s not as easy as you think to do things here and everything you do costs money. To find out how the place works and they do a terrible job of that is a real estate newspaper called the Sun. The heat is unbearable and it costs a lot to maintain your house, cable WiFi,food, gas it’s very expensive here as are utilities.

In GA the day you get move in your homestead starts and they have seasons.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNative55 View Post
I have family members who live in TV, & as I near retirement it’s an affordable option for me as well.

As a single gay man, I wonder whether it’s a good fit for me. I know there’s an active, officially sanctioned gay Resident Lifestyle group, but I’d still be in the minority in TV. I’ve visited a number of times, but it’s not easy to gauge what it would be like for me to live there.

I’m fit & active & know there are any number of activities that might appeal to someone who’s friendly, but an introvert, who just wants to live a peaceful, quiet life. I’ve been very fortunate throughout my life, & not experienced overt or discriminatory homophobia or a fear of living my life openly. Now is not the time for that to change.

I was reluctant to post this & generally avoid posting to forums or any form of social media, since threads can quickly turn negative. However, this is such an important decision, I feel compelled to try. I look forward to, & appreciate your honest, thoughtful comments. Thank you.
YOU'LL BE SORRY!! It's not everything you see advertised about it.
Closed Thread

Tags
it’s, live, life, fit, active

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.