Contemplating a move to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2020, 09:10 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
This is the intolerance capital of America. Come here as a last resort.
As you can see there are some negative people, but they are few and far between.

Let me say that I am a conservative person and I would welcome you into my community. I have a number of close friends that are gay (both men and women) and I think the world of them.
There are two female gay couples that live in my neighborhood. I've never seen them treated differently than anyone else in the neighborhood.
I think the suggestion to rent is a good one.
I've found that buying in a new neighborhood is a great way to meet people. It worked well for us.
I hope you come down here and find The Villages is a great place for you.
And... don't judge The Villages by The Talk of The Villages. Living here is NOTHING like this site.

Last edited by Northwoods; 09-26-2020 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2020, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
As you can see there are some negative people, but they are few and far between.

Let me say that I am a conservative person and I would welcome you into my community. I have a number of close friends that are gay (both men and women) and I think the world of them.
There are two female gay couples that live in my neighborhood. I've never seen them treated differently than anyone else in the neighborhood.
I think the suggestion to rent is a good one.
I've found that buying in a new neighborhood is a great way to meet people. It worked well for us.
I hope you come down here and find The Villages is a great place for you.
And... don't judge The Villages by The Talk of The Villages. Living here is NOTHING like this site.
Great advise. Wonder why so many here are so intolerant of others
Old 09-27-2020, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Look at the Atlanta area which is where I’m going they have a thriving gay community so much to do. Part of the reason I’m going is this place is too expensive and not friendly at all. Taxes up 25% house bond 30% amenity monthly 200-240 and for what ? It’s not as easy as you think to do things here and everything you do costs money. To find out how the place works and they do a terrible job of that is a real estate newspaper called the Sun. The heat is unbearable and it costs a lot to maintain your house, cable WiFi,food, gas it’s very expensive here as are utilities.

In GA the day you get move in your homestead starts and they have seasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry8bal View Post
YOU'LL BE SORRY!! It's not everything you see advertised about it.
Minority opinion noted. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

BTW, the amenity fee is about $155, NOT 200-240, and for that you get 38 exec golf courses, very neat landscaping in the common areas, 80+ neighborhood pools, dozens of Rec centers, community watch patrolling every neighborhood 3x/day and 3 town squares with nightly entertainment (yes, I know the amenity fee does not pay for the entertainment), all reachable in a golf cart.

Food is a bit more expensive than other areas of the country, utilities are cheaper, and WiFi is no more expensive than elsewhere

I have not witnessed any nasty homophobic behavior, although I'm sure there are some bigots lurking about. And unlike a post on another thread, there are no "rabid packs of angry old white men" roaming the streets

Rent for 4-6 months and try it out for yourself, you ARE welcome here!
Old 09-28-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
I don't think you are going to get a very accurate perspective based on the tiny percent of people who post on this forum.

The new apartments in Brownwood would be a great place to live and very reasonable considering of all the shops, restaurants and entertainment with in walking distance. The Villages is a very friendly place where most everyone minds their own business. If you hit the town squares once things fully reopen then you will get a much better idea what most people are like.
I generally agree with the above advice. Definitely RENT for as long as you can. If you can rent for 6 mos. so you can really get a "feel" for all the areas, have time to get to actually know people in different villages, you'll find quite a lot of differences. There are some villages, and some villa areas, where people really make an effort to know each other. Driveway gatherings weekly (bring your own beverage), and many others, cruises together, pot lucks, etc. while there are other villages and neighborhoods where you hardly see anyone. Most probably assume that those who only use their home here a few times a year and only a few days at a time, have a villa. In my neighborhood that is far from true. We have a number of large homes, all with 3 BR minimum, and some used as little as a total of two weeks per year... and NOT rented out in between. So, you really need to try to live here before buying, get that feel for how different the neighborhoods can be. Also, it definitely has changed here, especially the last 4-5 years and very obviously since the "virus"... which seems to have made many people very nasty. I also agree that you will see on here many really nasty opinions and what seems like very narrow minded people. I would not take it all seriously. Some probably have been like that all their lives, but don't be surprised if some are fictitious ! But in general, no, people are not nearly as friendly as they used to be. Why ? Who knows, perhaps just more diversification ? More people from larger cities perhaps where it was not wise to be outgoing and friendly to anyone who moved into a building ? I know my children who work and live in big cities definitely do not go out of their way to welcome anyone who buys a condo there, while once in The Villages, you would have all kinds of people at your door when you moved in, with food, with invitations, I was even offered the use of "temporary window shades" that needed no hardware".... neighbors had used them while they were selecting and having their window treatments made. It is not like that as much any more, but don't judge by how some talk and what some people "call" others in their posts !
Closed Thread

Tags
it’s, live, life, fit, active

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.