Which Convertible To Buy?

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2019, 02:37 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I would not get a VW bug. They’re over-engineered and have some serious blind spots, with the top up or down, unless you’re over 6 feet tall or very long waisted.

If you’re looking for safety, then you’ll never look at a convertible. As to getting a V-8, that’s a lot of engine to handle. Today’s V-6 is powerful enough for the average driver.

You can get a handle like thing that fits into the door latch. It makes it much easier to get in out of any vehicle.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default It is all opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I went through the same process.
We have a lux SUV so all we needed was a basic convertible.

One criteria was the car had to have a reasonable back seat to accommodate our 45 pound Dalmatian.

Had two finalists. The Mustang convertible and the Camaro.
Ruled out the Camaro as it is just too big with poor visibility.

We are waiting for the 2020 mustang with the 10 speed transmission and V-8 motor.....I have never not had a V-8 motor.....ever.

Good luck.
To me combining a 10 speed transmission with a V8 does not seem to make sense. More cylinders assuming the same horse power gives you more torque. As one time cars like Cadillac and Lincolns were sold with V12 and V16 engines They were difficult if no impossible to stall with a standard transmission. V8s were a good choice with 3 sped automatics. Today usual automatics are 4-6 speeds gears. Slippage allows smooth shifts. A 10 speed-all shifts will be slight changes-no big changes. Shifts should be less noticeable. I would carefully research required servicing, expected life and cost of a rebuild. I would question why you want this car. Zooming around? I know, or knew two people who literally lost their heads by rolling a convertible.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I have V6 (305 HP) 2012 Mustang, 0 to 60 in 5.2 seconds, and I LOVE it! Unfortunately, Ford in their infinite wisdom, dropped the V6, and replaced with a turbo charged 4 cylinder (same HP ratings), but I will not go for it, and the V8 appears to have more HP than necessary. I am on my second top, but the car has been outside since the day I bought it, late 2011, so this is not a complaint. Visibility is a little challenging with the top up, but great with it down.
Hope you find the car you love.

NOTE: the previous chrysler Sebring convertible had a lot more room for rear passengers, the Mustang is good for kids, tight for their parents!!
Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 PM

We had an MB SLK280. Loved it. Well-made fun to drive and fast. Quality car.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
To me combining a 10 speed transmission with a V8 does not seem to make sense. More cylinders assuming the same horse power gives you more torque. As one time cars like Cadillac and Lincolns were sold with V12 and V16 engines They were difficult if no impossible to stall with a standard transmission. V8s were a good choice with 3 sped automatics. Today usual automatics are 4-6 speeds gears. Slippage allows smooth shifts. A 10 speed-all shifts will be slight changes-no big changes. Shifts should be less noticeable. I would carefully research required servicing, expected life and cost of a rebuild. I would question why you want this car. Zooming around? I know, or knew two people who literally lost their heads by rolling a convertible.
Very simple really.
Our second car has always been and is currently a Corvette.
We want a convertible with a back seat...hence no Corvette.
Our zooming around days are just about done.
It is just a car to use when we want to cruise around......V8 power(?) no more dangerous than any other car....responsible driving and common sense.....after 50 years of Corvette driving we can handle it!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Two convertibles already mentioned on this thread VW bug and Ford Mustang would be the two Convertibles I would Look at to purchase. They are reasonably priced and both fun to drive. 2019 is suppose to be the last year for the VW bug convertible. After you have your fun with it, save the classic for a grandchild. If safety is a priority, I would look for a different type of vehicle.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

2019 Buick Cascada. This one is at Auto Max in Ocala, 15,000 miles, 4 cyc Turbo Automatic $24,690.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

2019 Buick Cascada Online Dealer delivers to your home. 12,000 miles, 4 cyc Turbo Automatic $26,390

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Within 75 miles of TV there are 13 new and used Cascada for sale on Autotrader, here's a link.

Autotrader Buick Cascada Listings
Old 09-16-2019, 04:48 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I've been looking at the Cascada. Its sad that they didn't offer a blind spot indicator (BSI) option. Earlier today I posted a question about BSI and someone responded that it is best to rely on our traditional methods of mirrors, turning our head, etc. Obviously I agree. However with certain cars, the Cascada included, there are numerous comments on the fact that many convertibles have significant blind spots.

I did some research about after market BSIs and indeed there are a few. However, they are not a DIY project. The reason for my other post was to find out if anyone knew of an installer for such a thing. Anyway I do like the Cascada. Its a beautiful car.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

If you want a safe convertible Mercedes makes one in it's 500 series. My wife and daughter both walked away from a head on crash on a NM highway in a 560 SL back in 1994. This guy had the removable hardtop on, was going about 193 kph (120 mph) and walked away. Crash - h Mercedes-Benz High Speed Crash at the Autobahn.flv - YouTube

Now this one is way, way above my budget. I actually saw one driven by an older man in a grocery store parking lot. INSIDE the NEW Mercedes-Maybach S 650 Cabriolet 2018 | Interior Exterior DETAILS w/ REVS - YouTube

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-16-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

V8 is lovely, I learned to drive on one. Everything else felt less safe and anemic after my first love.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We have driven Sebring, Mazda, BMW, Benz, not in any order. Clubs don’t always fit in the boot, then have to go in the seat. Before we bought in TV, they were always a drive in summer only, stored in winter.
Here we rarely drive in the summer it’s just too hot for top down.

Chrysler had more trunk room, but BMW just felt better for driving out of bubble. The Buick with top down is great, but up it has weird blind spots
Old 09-16-2019, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

Just for driving around here look at a mini convertible.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I’ve been researching what convertible to buy for my wife. I’ve looked at everything from Miatas to Lexus IS350c and everything in between. We’ve heard the term “drop in & pull out” for the smallest cars which may be somewhat difficult for us.

We would appreciate suggestions of cars you feel that would be relatively easy for access and exit.
Cut top off you’re pickup! Seriously, if I was going to get convertible it would be 57 T-bird, but I know how to fix them.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 AM

I own a V8 Mustang - 2017 GT w 435HP + 6 speed manual. Absolutely love it.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 09-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Get a hard top convertible (power or removable) of some kind.

I had an MG-B convertible with a removable hardtop.

Tags
cars, convertible, buy, i’ve, difficult

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.