Coronavirus spreads through breathing/talking

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Experts tell White House virus can spread through talking or even just breathing

(CNN)A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

Coronavirus can spread through talking or breathing, prestigious panel tells White House - CNN

Based on what I have seen of villagers ignoring guidelines, I predict more than 1000 cases confirmed here sometime in April. White House will probably recommend some kind of mask when going out to shop etc. I agree, this stuff is more contagious than thought.

White House task force could soon recommend Americans wear masks - CNNPolitics
After spending 30 years in the operating room, trust me when I tell you a regular surgical mask, cotton garment, etc. does not prevent virus from entering your nose or mouth. A virus is 1000 times smaller than the smallest bacteria. A virus passing through a surgical mask is like a moped passing through the opening in the Holland Tunnel. Surgical masks are used to prevent the Surgeon and staff from passing bacteria from themselves to the patient's tissue during surgery. By all means, wear one...it may make you feel better, but it won't protect you from getting a virus. And no, there's no such thing as "a little protection is better than no protection." It either stops the virus or it doesn't. Don't waste your time or money and don't give me the stink-eye when I show up at Publix without a mask.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMan View Post
After spending 30 years in the operating room, trust me when I tell you a regular surgical mask, cotton garment, etc. does not prevent virus from entering your nose or mouth. A virus is 1000 times smaller than the smallest bacteria. A virus passing through a surgical mask is like a moped passing through the opening in the Holland Tunnel. Surgical masks are used to prevent the Surgeon and staff from passing bacteria from themselves to the patient's tissue during surgery. By all means, wear one...it may make you feel better, but it won't protect you from getting a virus. And no, there's no such thing as "a little protection is better than no protection." It either stops the virus or it doesn't. Don't waste your time or money and don't give me the stink-eye when I show up at Publix without a mask.
Don't worry, I won't give you stink eye cuz I don't go to grocery stores anymore, strictly pickup now. I agree surgical masks won't protect you but S Korea certainly has some of the best results flattening the curve in the world because they advised all citizens to wear masks.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

About surgical masks, what about if someone sneezes/coughs suddenly as they pass you?
Old 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
About surgical masks, what about if someone sneezes/coughs suddenly as they pass you?
The whole point about advising public to wear masks is to limit virus spread by undiagnosed carriers, which could be you or anyone you encounter. Should have been done weeks ago.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:48 PM

I guess I must not have explained myself good enough. The mask DOES NOT prevent or stop a virus from entering or exiting your mouth and/or you nose! If I have the virus and don't know it, and I cough, sneeze, talk or breath on you, it doesn't matter whether I'm wearing a mask or not, the virus will fly through the holes in the mask faster than Sherman went through Atlanta.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:18 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianalea View Post
Doctors and nurses are still getting sick because there are not enough masks so they have to wear the same mask over and over, thereby increasing the risk of contamination.
Do you know this to be true? I know for a fact it is not true in any of the 3 hospitals my daughter, daughter in law, and sister in law work in . They change masks between each patient.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 04-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

The nurses in my family posit the reason medical personnel are getting sick is due to touching contaminated surfaces and then inadvertently touching their face, mouth or eyes. They think very few cases (if any) are passed through a mask.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 04-05-2020, 05:30 PM

I have converted to wearing a home-made mask in grocery stores, etc. This is my reasoning. Yes, a virus by itself will pass through a surgical or home-made mask. But the virus also resides in droplets emitted by sneezing and coughing. A home-made mask will catch the droplets, which are much larger than the virus itself.

There is also a line of thought that a large "dose" of virus leads to a worse outcome than a small dose. Seems to me a droplet would contain a large dose of virus, so at least I am avoiding that. It also reminds me not to touch my face.

Someone here posted a video of the "Fauci of South Korea," that convinced me. It's not a cure-all and I do not judge people who don't choose to wear a mask.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMan View Post
I guess I must not have explained myself good enough. The mask DOES NOT prevent or stop a virus from entering or exiting your mouth and/or you nose! If I have the virus and don't know it, and I cough, sneeze, talk or breath on you, it doesn't matter whether I'm wearing a mask or not, the virus will fly through the holes in the mask faster than Sherman went through Atlanta.
I suspect that you would be right if the virus was "flying" by itself. But, I suspect that the vast majority of viruses expelled with a cough or sneeze are carried within a small drop of liquid, which probably would be stopped. If so, the masks would do some good. I'm going to follow the guidelines given by the government experts...and I hope that you do too.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

More expert advise from online U

Tags
white, house, breathing, research, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.